Plan for Chrome plugin when npapi support ends?

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MarkPhil
User

Plan for Chrome plugin when npapi support ends?

Post by MarkPhil »

One of my favorite features of XChange Viewer is being able to open PDFs in Chrome with a full-featured viewer. However, Chrome is phasing out support for npapi plugins like XChange Viewer—users can manually enable support for these plugins for now, but apparently this will no longer be an option as of September 2015. I would hate to lose the ability to use XChange Viewer in Chrome so I'm just curious about whether the developers have a plan for keeping the plugin compatible with Chrome. If this isn't likely to be feasible, I'll start keeping an eye out for other options.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Plan for Chrome plugin when npapi support ends?

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi MarkPhil,

Thanks for the post - we're looking into possible resolutions, but Google is making it very difficult by scantly documenting anything. It's not a question of us maintaining compatibility, it's a question of whether or not Chrome will offer a way to build such a complex plugin.

Up until 2 days ago, the only option that we could see, was to build a Chrome Extension, which requires the application to be created in any one or more CSS, JavaScript and HTML5. None of these languages lend themselves to building something as complex as a PDF Reader plugin, it may not even be possible. It's not just us, a lot of companies are suffering the issue, Adobe, Foxit, Nitro, etc, all included.

It now looks like there may be an option to build something using Chrome's PPAPI and/or Google's NaCl and PNaCl API's, but it's not yet clear whether or not this is complex enough to allow us to do what we need.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
MarkPhil
User

Post by MarkPhil »

Thank you, Will, for the detailed response. I hope Google cooperates and thanks again for creating such a great product.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi MarkPhil,

Not a problem, glad to help :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
mathes electric supply co., inc.
User

Post by mathes electric supply co., inc. »

I see this was last discussed in May. By chance has anything changed? Is there a fix or workaround for this issue?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi mathes,

I'm afraid that there's been no update here. Chrome's alternatives are not good ones. The only one, that we have been able to find, that would allow us to do this (PPAPI) has been deemed relatively unstable and the performance of PPAI plugins are...... not good.

I'm going to bring this up at our next support meeting, next week, to see if we have a more definitive answer, or even a definitive "No, it can't be done" to provide users.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
mathes electric supply co., inc.
User

Post by mathes electric supply co., inc. »

Thanks for the update! PDF-Xchange is a great product. Hopefully this can be resolved.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:... I'm going to bring this up at our next support meeting, next week, to see if we have a more definitive answer, or even a definitive "No, it can't be done" to provide users.

Thanks,
Is there a "definitive" answer on this?

Chrome's internal PDF viewer gets you to a point, but it's light years from PDFXchange. Having to first download then open with PDFXchange Editor takes some of the fun out of it.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Claude,

I'm afraid that we will not be offering a way to view PDF's in Chrome. As mentioned in a previous post, the API that they provide is extremely limiting and very, very buggy.

The best that we can manage is the same as Adobe: we'll offer a plugin that will automatically open the PDF in our stand-alone Editor, with no interaction necessary.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Claude,

I'm afraid that we will not be offering a way to view PDF's in Chrome. As mentioned in a previous post, the API that they provide is extremely limiting and very, very buggy.

The best that we can manage is the same as Adobe: we'll offer a plugin that will automatically open the PDF in our stand-alone Editor, with no interaction necessary.

Thanks,
That would do it for me, great, thanks.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
rik van der schalie
User

Post by rik van der schalie »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Claude,

Thanks,
Any idea when this will happen? I've just installed PDF Xchange editor v6, but no Chrome plugin.

T.i.a.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello rik van der schalie,

It will happen in one of the next few builds, but for now I do not have an exact date yet, sorry!

Regards,
Stefan
janetb
User

Post by janetb »

PDF XChange Viewer is my default pdf viewer. Since it cannot be used on Chrome, is there some other viewer that can? The Chrome pdf viewer does not even allow for searching a pdf file opened from a search link. Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi janetb,

I'm afraid that the new API that Google forces people to use is not really stable or powerful enough to build a PDF plugin.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)