Changing Sort in Open File Dialog Box

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

alleng
User

Changing Sort in Open File Dialog Box

Post by alleng »

I save documents I get regularly from various sources in folders named for the source. I rename the documents with the source name followed by a date code (usually yyyy-mm). When opening a file, PDF-Xchange Viewer sorts the files in ascending order so that the most current files end up at the end. Which over time ends up being waaaaay at the end. Is there any way to change to descending order? I can change it in Windows Explorer, but that doesn't seen to have any effect on PDF-Xchange.

Thanks for your help!
Allen
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Changing Sort in Open File Dialog Box

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

In the "Open" dialog box that you get in PDF-XChange Viewer (after clicking File > Open), you can sort the files in whatever order you prefer by clicking on the concerning column name. You can click once again to switch from ascending to descending, and vice-versa, completely identical as what you should do in Windows Explorer.

I have the impression, that even when PDF-XChange Viewer had been closed and re-opened, and independently of how you order the folder in Windows Explorer, it remembers your last sort order.

Can you try this?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello alleng,

Thank you for the post. Please note that the Viewer has been discontinued in favour of the Editor. I personally find the file selection and save dialogue of the Viewer less intuitive than the one found in the Editor. You can install the Editor and Viewer alongside each other. Please download and try the Editor: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE6.zip

I hope you will find that it is more to your liking.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
alleng
User

Post by alleng »

Thanks, Willy. I have the dialog box set up to show files as a list rather than with details. So there is only a single column type with no heading to click on for sorting. If I change to details, then I can do as you suggest. I'd rather keep it simpler, though, and not have the details showing since I don't need them. So building on your suggestion, I changed to details and removed all of the detail columns except for name. That leaves the ability to sort on name, the only disadvantage being that the sort doesn't distinguish between folders and files. In my case, though, the only folder is "Prior Years" and I can move the files in it back into the parent folder since they will now end up at the end of the list instead of the beginning.

Thanks again, Willy! Now that I see it, it seems so obvious!! I appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction.
alleng
User

Post by alleng »

Patrick: Thanks for the info on the Editor versus the Viewer. I've downloaded the Editor and will check it out!
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello alleng,

I do not know if it is finally clear to you that you only have to switch to the "Details" view to sort the preferred column.
After sorting, you can switch back to the "List" view.

Best regards.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI guys,

in addition to the List/Details view in the dialogue this thread details how to use Python to manipulate the file order before opening them: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/forum3 ... 62&t=25839

I tried it out and it works nicely. Thanks goes to kcd2015 for how script.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
alleng
User

Post by alleng »

Thanks to all for the help! Willy's approach accomplished everything I needed and I'm a happy camper. I did download PDF-Xchange Editor and will get familiar with it as time permits. I haven't checked out Python given that my problem was solved without it, but I will give it a look to see what else it might do.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Glad to hear that alleng! :D

Happy Holidays All!
Stefan