Save as image, but keep links functional?

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

sparkles
User

Save as image, but keep links functional?

Post by sparkles »

It's probably a longshot, but I'm hopeful someone can advise me on a way to accomplish this:

I want to save a document so the text can't be copied/pasted. I think I see how to do that (File - Export - Export to image) but I want the links that are also in the document to still be functional.

Can it be done?
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Save as image, but keep links functional?

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I wonder how you are going to use that picture...

1) If you are going to use it independently than it is NOT possible to put a hyperlink on it.

2) If you are going to use it into a new PDF, then you can use the Viewer/Editor's "Link Tools" to put a hyperlink on it.

3) If you are going to use it for an internet/web page, then you can also put a hyperlink onto that picture.

4) ...

You could also think about "protecting" your (PDF) document against copying/modifications/printing by a "password".
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks again Willy!

Sparkles - I'm afraid Willy's right. I'm not aware of any image format that supports hyperlinks, so your only options are those listed by Willy.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
sparkles
User

Post by sparkles »

Either (2) or (3), I think: a pdf that will get sent by email, or a web page.

Can I make the link specific to a specified area on the page, or only by making the whole image a link? (There are 2 links in the document, and I'd like the hyperlink region to be centered right over the "text" of the links.)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello sparkles,

Thanks for the extra details. Reading them I believe that the below will be most suited for your needs:

Convert your original file to image, then create a new PDF out of that image, and after that using the Link Tool - you can draw a link with the shape you need, and then specify what happens when that link is clicked.

Do have in mind that OCR is always an option - so someone that is determined will manage to "copy" the contents of that file, if he has access to the file.
A better way to secure the content will probably be by placing password security on the file and restricting content copying.

Regards,
Stefan
sparkles
User

Post by sparkles »

I understand. And thanks to all who have contributed information.

If posted on a web page, would password security on the file and restricting content copying prevent robots from being able to index the content?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi sparkles,

Not a problem!
If posted on a web page, would password security on the file and restricting content copying prevent robots from being able to index the content?
Not entirely I'm afraid, no. Some are quite sophisticated and are fully capable of using OCR libraries to index images of text (I believe that Google does this, but am not 100% certain). There are also numerous robots capable of indexing images without OCRing, but that makes the image much harder to find.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
sparkles
User

Post by sparkles »

Ok, I get it about the OCR libraries, but I just want to double-check that these robots/indexing programs can get into a pdf file even if it's password-protected? And/or restricts content copying?

If so, that would be a big "Yikes!"
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi sparkles,

It depends on whether or not you encrypt the document (set a password to open it). If the document is unencrytped, then it is quite literally impossible for anyone to prevent that, which is why encryption was developed in the first place.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
sparkles
User

Post by sparkles »

Okay; thanks again.

Happy New Year, everyone!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Not a problem, you too! :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)