"Shell Extensions" break "Windows Search" On Visio

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bryanh99
User

"Shell Extensions" break "Windows Search" On Visio

Post by bryanh99 »

Background :
Windows 7 Ultimate (same problem with any version I try) x64
Office 2016 (with Visio)

Inside Visio there is a "shape search" box that leverages "Windows Search" to look for shapes on Visio stencils (This is VERY important for most visio users)

When I install PDF Xchange Viewer (version 2.5 Build 3200 - Feb 6 2017; 09:42:30) with the shell extensions it breaks the search in Visio (with an error message that search is not setup or incrorrectly setup).

At first I did not realize it was from the viewer so I restored a backup from last week and started installing one app at a time to determine it was PDFXchange Viewer.
Next I installed it with various options turned off to finally determine that it was indeed the "Shell Extensions"
Next I restored the current backup and the only change I made was to unregister the x32 shell extension ddl with "regsvr32 /u "C:\program files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\Win32\XCShInfo.dll"

Then the Visio search works again. if I re-register that DLL it breaks it again.

I have since left the extensions un registered as the Visio search if required for my work.

It's sad to say that I started a full rebuild of this machine when I discovered this problem the first time, so about 20 hours wasted as all I needed to do was unregister a DLL

Bryan
Last edited by bryanh99 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: "Shell Extensions" break "Windows Search" On Vizio

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for the post and welcome to our forums. The Viewer is an older product which is no longer being developed. Please go to Help> About and let me know what version and build you are running.

Please try the Viewer's replacement The PDF-XChange Editor. You may download it here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE6.zip

Thanks!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
bryanh99
User

UPDATE

Post by bryanh99 »

If I rerun setup and select the shell extensions it breaks the search again...BUT if I then un-register and then re-register the DLL everything seems to be working.

It seems that as long as I register the 32bit version LAST the problem goes away - does the installer do 32 and THEN 64 registration of the DLLs?

Bryan
bryanh99
User

Re: "Shell Extensions" break "Windows Search" On Vizio

Post by bryanh99 »

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:Hello Bryan,

Thank you for the post and welcome to our forums. The Viewer is an older product which is no longer being developed. Please go to Help> About and let me know what version and build you are running.

Please try the Viewer's replacement The PDF-XChange Editor. You may download it here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE6.zip

Thanks!

It is - version 2.5 Build 3200 - Feb 6 2017; 09:42:30

I will take a look at your other offering - thank you
Bryan
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: "Shell Extensions" break "Windows Search" On Visio

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

It is - version 2.5 Build 3200 - Feb 6 2017; 09:42:30
I am afraid that 3200 is not one of our build numbers. Do you mean 2.5.320.0?

If so, we released a 320.1 build shortly after to address some issues with 320.0. You may try the latest viewer here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVwer.zip

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America