stop auto open of PDF files in Chrome

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

namsilat
User

stop auto open of PDF files in Chrome

Post by namsilat »

Right now whenever I download a PDF file in Chrome, PDF-XChange Viewer opens the file automatically. That was not the case before, and I am unsure what happened to lead to this current configuration. I like to stop that behavior and leave downloaded PDF file as is, unless I decide to click it to open it. Could someone kindly tell me where in the setting I can change for that? Thanks.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: stop auto open of PDF files in Chrome

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

At my opinion, it all depends of the way you are "downloading" that file.

If you just (left-)click on its hyperlink, then your browser is supposed to open that file once it has been downloaded.

My method for (just) downloading a file (via Google Chrome) is:
- "right-"click on the hyperlink, and then
- click "Save link as ...".

Please try it that way and tell us if that works for you.

Best regards.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
It seems like there is a "Chrome PDF Viewer" plugin, that you can see by using the following URL:
chrome://plugins
but, at my side, I have no means to uncheck/deactivate that plugin via the check box "Always allowed to run".
This box is grayed out, and options like Enable/Disable are missing (even though they should be there).
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: stop auto open of PDF files in Chrome

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the post - This wouldn't be something that we control. If you're downloading the file with Chrome, then Chrome can choose to automatically pass that file to the default PDF handler, or open it itself. We cannot automatically open a file with it being passed to us or without explicit user interaction.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com