searching shortcuts of PDFs in folders

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

DAA
User

searching shortcuts of PDFs in folders

Post by DAA »

I've searched the other topics for a possible solution but to no avail: I use the Search Folder function quite frequently, but I've only just noticed that it doesn't recognize PDF shortcuts that are in the folder. Other than going through one by one to recopy the original document back into the folders, is there any way for the XChange Viewer to search the text of PDF shortcuts? Thanks!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: searching shortcuts of PDFs in folders

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi DAA,

Thanks for the post, but I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by PDF shortcuts, can you please elaborate?

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Probably it goes about typical Windows shortcuts that only contain a reference to the original files, stored in an other folder or location.

In this case, it is obvious that Search does not find anything (in these shortcuts).

Something that might offer a solution, is a shortcut to the folder that contains the original PDF files, instead of shortcuts to the files themselves.

Best regards.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

Are you referring to these kinds of shortcuts?

DAA - If that is what Willy is referring to, can you please confirm that's what you mean?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hi Will,

... Let us hope that DAA will come back to this forum, because it is a first time question ...

I suppose the shortcuts are made slightly different:
- a right mouse click on a PDF in a source folder and "Copy", followed by
- a right mouse click on the target (destination) folder and "Paste shortcut"

Best regards.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

Thanks for the clarification - That should create the same kind of shortcut, it's just a different method of doing so. Either way, if that's the case I don't believe that it's possible to offer to search for those. Windows may offer some search options, but that's beyond the scope of our software.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
DAA
User

Post by DAA »

Thanks for all these helpful answers! Yes I do in fact (unfortunately) mean the shortcuts that Willy is referring to... I always thought I was being a responsible folder user by using shortcuts instead of copying the same files across multiple folders, but alas :(

Other than using data analysis software, PDF Xchange is by far my preferred way to search through multiple PDFs for text, so it looks like I've got to re-think the way I organize my files and folders!

Thanks again!
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks for coming back :-)

You can always start your Search from a higher level in your folder structure and activate the "Look in Sub-Folders" option.

Unfortunately, in that way, the search will take more time and maybe also include results that you do not need.

Best regards.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

No worries DAA, sorry I couldn't offer better news!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)