Big Printing Problem

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

walterh
User

Big Printing Problem

Post by walterh »

i have a pdf file which is 100% text, and is 124 KILOBytes in size.

when i print it using Adobe Acrobat, the file size appearing in the print spooler is around 225KBytes

when i print it in PDF-XChange Viewer, the file size appearing in the print spooler is around 5.3 MEGA Bytes (thats MEGA Bytes)

what gives ???????
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Trouble is because for now PDF-XChange viewer prints text as a set of curves. It causes large size of printing job.
Into future releases we will add ability of printing text as text and this trouble will be solved.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
walterh
User

Post by walterh »

approx how many months before this happens??? i like the product a lot, but i also need to print efficiently
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

Is this a big problem? Do you see any perfomance degradation because using curves instead of fonts?
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
benradu
User

Post by benradu »

I noticed this problem too.
And yes, this is a problem when you have a bit larger pdf which can result in a 5-600MB print job. This makes the printing very slow.
I still have Acrobat Reader in my computer and many times I quickly open the pdf in Acrobat only for printing.
walterh
User

Post by walterh »

ditto - at home i have an old but robust HP printer -- a 1.5 page 150KByte file prints immediately, a 5.5 MEGABYTE file takes forever - and the document is only 1.5 pages!!

i cant use the product, more or less, until this is fixed - that simple
benradu
User

Post by benradu »

Well, there are some features you can't find in other programs which can keep you in love with PDFX:
- tabbed interface
- and most important comments and mark-ups for FREE!
Don't leave us :-( continue to use PDFX, the developers are usually reacting promptly to our reports and is very likely that a fix will be worked soon.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Just click the button in the bottom right-hand corner to open the document in Adobe Reader, and print from there. Unless you do more printing that reading, that should be fine. If you do do more printing than reading, then you really need a command line for printing PDF documents. I understand that that will also be available in due course.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
walterh
User

Post by walterh »

that'll do it .. didnt notice it
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

um, this is spooky! I don't have Acroread as it's too big, slow and open to exploits.
Instead I use Foxit for opening PDFs from Opera (it opens v. quickly and in most cases I look at the PDF then just close Foxit).

Just looked in PDFX and there was a button for Foxit - damned clever! :o
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

Yes - this is deliberate - PDF-Xchaneg will allow you to start any alternate PDF Viewing applications registered ion your system as an alternative choice when viewing fiels - if you have Acrobat Reader installed also - if you use the small down arrow in the bottom left of the screen - this will show all possible options.

Hope that helps :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
hotgold
User

Post by hotgold »

Same problem here... it's damn too long! And we create PDFs from autocad for our client. When we want to print, it bugs after sending 3~4Mb!
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

To hotgold: can you provide us sample PDF which causes problems?

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
t8810012
User

Post by t8810012 »

Hi,

Do you have any schedule for this issue modification?
Thank you!
Best regards,
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi t8810012,

this posting has got a bit 'busy' and confusing,Can you advise which update you are enquiring about ?

thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Wamma
User

printfile size

Post by Wamma »

Hello,

for me its also a problem that the printfiles gets greater than from other Readers.

+ if you print big pdf files - the print file gets REALY big...and slow

+ if you print to an "PDFCreator" you lose the text and get an image... (ok you can use the save button in PDF X Change, but for some reasons PDFCreator is better...)
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi,

1: Improvments to this are coming in Build 2.037 tis weekend 'ish ..

2: It is never a good idea to 'print' a PDF to any PDF Virtual printer - you will lose content potentially - though you should not lose text and images unless the original file does not contain all the required content in the correct format or the embedded fonts etc.

Could zip and provide before/after examples ?

Thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Please see :

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/forum/v ... php?t=4069

The beta is now available

Many thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support
tilda
User

Re: Big Printing Problem

Post by tilda »

Our company use pdf generated by jasperreport for printing small stickers on barcode printer like Datamax E-4304.
For printing speed up we upload 2-3 commonly used fonts into printer RAM.

Now we need in windows app for interactive printing.
I build test application using PDF-XChange Viewer SDK. Fine!
But printing from XChange Viewer produce a big size spool job (400-600kb vs 30-35kb) with printing time 10-12s vs 1s.
Because printing application must be interactive, such delay critical for us.
Additionaly printing barcode as picture decrease barcode sharpness on thermal-transfer printers.

Will be avaliable printer font usage in future version of XChange Viewer?
(sorry for my english)
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Yes, very soon PDF Viewer will print text using fonts instead of draw it as curves.

walterh
User

Post by walterh »

partially related question ..

will the professional version ever have a 'touch-up text' feature (which i find is a requirement of mine and i noticed is missing from the current release), with proper font control throughout (ie with respect to both touch-up and subsequent printing)

-W
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi.

can you be a little more specific about what you mean by 'touch up' text ?

Best regards
Tracker Support
walterh
User

Post by walterh »

'touch-up text' .. the full acrobat version i have (an old but venerable one, version 5) has a 'touch-up text' feature which lets me select and change text within the document .. i can delete, add, retype, reposition, and to some degree set font attributes. these features are a bit more advanced in later versions.

its extremely useful if you have a doc with a typo or a small amount of editing you forgot to do before generating the pdf file. some of the other features like adding pages, deleting pages, appending pages etc i can more or less do with PDFCreator when i dont have acrobat 5 around (i only have it in one work location)

-W
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The free PDF Viewer cannot edit documents, but you can type onto a document using text with a white background to cover any typos.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Getting (sort of) back on topic, I've just tried a simple experiment:

Word.doc, 32pp, few simple B&W drawings, 293kB
Print to PDF Facory Pro, PDF=177kB
Print to Kyocera printer, spool size=379kB, takes ~1s
Open PDF in PDF-X, print to Kyocera, spool size=21.5MB, takes ~10s
Print as image to Kyocera, spool size=21.8MB, takes ~3min!

Can't compare with other viewers as I don't have any :D
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

when you saying " takes ~3min!" which time you mean? time of rasterization, or when rasterization is finished and page is out from the printer ?

Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

I didn't actually print this (I used to print hundreds a year, but don't need any now); it was from pressing 'Print' to the time that the progress bar stopped and the spooled file stopped incrementing.
As printers vary widely in handling jobs, it's a variable which isn't pertinent - the printer wasn't switched on - I just wanted to compare the two methods.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Can you send me this PDF file you had create from Word document? And please say settings of your Kyocera printer.

Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Well, yes I can, but the test was simply to compare two methods of printing, not to see the absolute time. As this subject is is about time to spool and print, the document its self (unless abnormal in some way) and the printer (unless set up in a way that would cause excessive processing) are not really relevant; even then, the test was a straightforward comparison with only one [realistic] variable.

BTW, as I don't own this document, I'll send it by e-mail: is there a method for this, pleas?
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

sure, you can send it on my email: Ivan@tracker-software.com.

Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Ivan,

Did you get the file? It appeared to upload, but there's also a copy in Drafts, so I'm not sure if it went or not.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Yes, I got your file.
About spool size and times.

"Open PDF in PDF-X, print to Kyocera, spool size=21.5MB, takes ~10s" -- size is bigger than into another application because for now viewer prints text using curves, not fonts. This will be changed soon.

"Print as image to Kyocera, spool size=21.8MB, takes ~3min!" -- size (and time) depends of printer's resolution. Into build 38 we are planning to add option to specify rasterization DPI for "print as image" option.

Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Thanks Ivan - good news.