Bug in Viewer Search

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Cadillakin
User

Bug in Viewer Search

Post by Cadillakin »

When I searched in my GPS Manual for the word "traffic", I received no hits. In fact, there are dozens of instances of "traffic" within this document. When I searched other common words, no problem.

Furthermore, if I reduce the search word to "traf," I get nothing. If I reduce the search word to "tra", I get multiple hits. Something about that letter "f" in the sequence is giving problems to the Viewer. I'm using viewer 42.10. If I drop back to version 42.09, same problem..

If I search in other pdf documents, no issues with finding the word "traffic." So, something about this document, in combination with the viewer, is causing problems. I don't have other pdf viewers installed, so I'm not sure if they will have issue with it.. but PDF Xchange is having a problem.
Attachments
Garmin755t.zip
(1 MiB) Downloaded 188 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: Bug in Viewer Search

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It is a known problem. Try a search for "ligatures".
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Cadillakin
User

Post by Cadillakin »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:It is a known problem. Try a search for "ligatures".
I would ... if I had a document with the word ligatures in it.. :D I'll take your word.

Oddly, I went back to the Garmin site, and got a newer version of the manual. It does NOT have the problem finding "traffic". I will attach that one as well, thinking maybe the differences in the two might help in solving the problem.
Attachments
Garmin 755t Owners Manual.zip
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 191 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The cause of the problem is already known. The "ffi" in traffic is a ligature — the single character "ffi" is not the same as the three characters "ffi" so search does not find it. If you paste "traffic" in the find toolbar, the word will be found in your first GPS Manual attachment.

See this thread
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, guys.

Search for ligatures will be added into the next build(upcoming).

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It is fixed. There is something else wrong with that document. The search doesn't work in Adobe Reader either. Although document content copying is permitted, nothing is copied to the clipboard in PDF-XChange.

In Adobe Reader the string "Trafic" is copied, and that is found with a search.