View PDFXChange in browser

The PDF-XChange Viewer for End Users
+++ FREE +++

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

prr
User

View PDFXChange in browser

Post by prr »

I just uninstalled Adobe after using PDFXchange on my laptop quite happily for a while now. Now, however, whenever I click on a pdf link on a website, nothing comes up.

I searched this forum, but the two solutions I found didn't work. (1) go to the preferences/File Associations. I clicked on the button that said something like make this the default application for viewing pdfs, but nothing happened. I was unable to check the box that said view pdf in browser--it was greyed out. (2) I saw another solution, type in PDFXChange.exe/ makeiasoc or something like that (I typed that in from memory). Although the file itself is on my C drive, and searching in Windows finds that file, when I tried to paste that info into the Run box, Windows told me that it couldn't find the file.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I can't open anything in IE; Firefox, however, will let me download it but not view it within the browser. I'd like to be able to view these files within the browser--I can always d/l with a right-click if I want to.
Windows 11
PDFX-Change Editor current
Cadillakin
User

Re: View PDFXChange in browser

Post by Cadillakin »

First, check and see if you have the checkmark in "Display PDF in Browser" You'll find that in the Xchange Viewer menu, under Edit- Preferences - File Associations. If that doesn't put things right, just reinstall the Xchange Viewer..over itself. With Adobe uninstalled, that should do it.

Also, to clear up the FF associations, go to your FF profile and delete mimetypes.rdf. Close FF first. That will get rid of any associations no longer in effect within the profile. Don't worry, the file is rebuilt. You can make a copy of it if you want..
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi, further to Cadillkins suggestions ...

you should be able to resolve this problem manually, step by step:

1. Enable "Display in Browser" option in the our standalone viewer.
2. go to our install folder and find the file npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll. Full path for example:
"C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer\PDF Viewer\npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll"
3. copy this file to FireFox plugins folder, for example to:
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox3\plugins"

This issue can occur because Vista/Win7 forbids the file-copy operation to "<Program Files>" folder for additonal user-mode applications(and for the viewer when you enable "Display in Browser" option).

In the future we hope to resolve this problem fully.

HTH
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
prr
User

Post by prr »

I just gave FIrefox as an example. My primary browser is Google Chrome.

I am running XP.

And as I said before, the option to check "Display in Browser" is greyed out.

I think, given that PDFXchange lets me import/export my settings, that the easiest thing to do would be to reinstall. I'll come back and report how that goes.
Windows 11
prr
User

Post by prr »

Reinstalled it over itself.

OK PDFXchange remembered my settings without having to even import them--that was nice (given that I didn't bother to uninstall, not sure why the settings would have been lost, tho).

Now, in Chrome, when I click on a pdf it will immediately download it. This at least makes pdfs accessible--but like I said, I'd like to be able to view them inside the browser. Chrome is the browser I use 99% of the time.

Progress is being made here. Thanks for your responses.
Windows 11
prr
User

Post by prr »

In case nobody realized I still have a question--where should I put that DLL into Google Chrome's profile?
Windows 11
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi,
And as I said before, the option to check "Display in Browser" is greyed out.
Probably you use the portable version of our PDF-XChange Viewer?
The portable version cannot be used for browsing PDFs in Internet Browsers.

You should deinstall your portable version and install full version of the PDF-XChange Viewer.

HTH.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

HI prr,

Also there is no need to put anything in Google Chrome as it takes the needed information directly from the registry - which the portable viewer is not using and not storing anything there.

So as Vasyl suggested please download and install the stand alone version if you want to have the "view in browser" functionality.

Regards,
Stefan
prr
User

Post by prr »

I have installed the "regular" installed version--in fact, I reinstalled it hoping that this would fix it, but it didn't.
Windows 11
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

"Display in Browser" still grayed out after reinstall?
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
prr
User

Post by prr »

Yes it is.

Last night I went into XP's Explorer Folder Options tab. I looked at the associations and realized that it didn't even have an entry for PDF. I added it, then told Windows to use PDFXChange Viewer to view PDFs.

After a reboot, still same problem---that view in browser option you mentioned is greyed out. I click on the "Make Default PDF Viewer" button and nothing happens at all.
Windows 11
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Please look into your viewer's installation folder. The default is:
"C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer\PDF Viewer"
And check whether this folder contains the file PDFXCview.exe.
Check also for these files :
PDFXCview.exe
PDFXCviewIEPlugin.dll
npPDFXCviewNPPlugin.dll
PDFXCviewAx.dll

Does your folder contain these files?
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

prr
User

Post by prr »

The exe is there. The only DLLS are the Ax DLL and another one, ISTask. Neither the NP nor the IE plugins are there.
Windows 11
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Very strange issue :(
Please try to uninstall again and delete the folder(if it exists after the uninstall and a restart) like as "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer".

Please install from this archive http://download.docu-track.com/PDFXVwer.zip.

During the installation please DO NOT uncheck any option on the "Select Components" stage.

All options should be enabled.

Thanks
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

prr
User

Post by prr »

Excellent! I did as you advised--uninstalled (and yes, the Program Files folder had been deleted entirely), rebooted, then reinstalled the file you gave me, with all the components left checked. It worked.

I don't see a way for the OP to mark a thread as "solved" but if the mods can do this, pls do so.

A nitpick here-- during a recentl installation, I was given the option to install IE and Mozilla plugins. Since I don't use either browser for casual surfing, I unchecked those options, which very well might have led to my problems. If in fact other browsers like Chrome rely upon them (or if PDFXChange itself does), if you do want to let us uncheck those boxes, perhaps a tooltip explaining that they are used by other browsers would be helpful.Or maybe, not allow endusers to uncheck the boxes to begin with?

Or have I misunderstood the importance of these plugins for viewing PDFs in Chrome?
Windows 11