component registration

PDF-XChange Viewer SDK for Developer's
(ActiveX and Simple DLL Versions)

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

fabrizio
User

component registration

Post by fabrizio »

Hi, we're developing an application which uses your ActiveX Component. Our application requires to be executed in a stand-alone environment (without installation) running from a CD-ROM, memory card or a USB drive. We're now facing the problem of COM activation. Using a manifest file we can properly link the .DLL but the .EXE "server" component cannot be loaded in such a way. We can run PDFXCview.exe /RegServer at application startup but it does require admin privileges and this is a really big issue for us because our customers don't have such a premission. Is there a way to register and properly use your component (via manifest file) avoinding install? I've read another post on the forum about this problem but seem not resolved right now. Is there any progress in this?
It's a big priority for us.
Thank you.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: component registration

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

for now - I regret there is no work around as it requires a major change in the engineering model to do so - Version 3 will allow unhindered use in the manner required - but this is still some way off I am afraid - your patience is appreciated.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
nlopes
User

Post by nlopes »

John,

After reading about how this PDFX-Change Viewer ActiveX is distributed, it seems that there is an ActiveX and an EXE that both need to be registered on the client machine. I have not gotten to the point of distributing my application as I'm still in the trial phase and preparing to make a purchase of your SDK. However, I read about how some people are having issues with it not registering on some machines or their license being revoked. If I purchase the PDFX-Change PRO SDK (that comes with all your SDKs), I'm only planning on using the PDFX-Change Viewer ActiveX SDK and use it in an application that will only be distributed to 7 to 10 machines. However, my client changes his PCs often (almost once a year) and I'll have to re-install the application again. Will I have issues installing it over and over (even if the hardware changes)? I guess I'm wondering if your DLL or EXE "phone's home" to let you know that it's been registered to a certain PC (so you can keep track on the 7500 allowed distributions). Some of the PCs he'll use do not have internet access. Any information would be helpful.

Thank you,

Nelson
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Nelson,

firstly let me confirm that none of our products have any 'call home' mechanisms to us - we operate on a trust basis and unless given substantial cause to change this will continue to do so.

The one example I suspect you refer to where we revoked a dev's license is related to the use of our PDF-XChange Drivers SDK - the dev in question enabled them potentially (even if innocently) for general PDF creation from any Windows application - not allowed in the dev license and was incensed that this was not allowed.

If we sold our products for a one of fee of a few hundred dollars to developers to then build this kind of application - we would be out of business in a matter of weeks. We provide our SDK's to add value to developer's own vertical market app's in general terms - not as a means to create all encompassing PDF creation/manipulation products competing with our own end user offerings and I believe thats understood by all as a reasonable limitation.

For now the current Viewer SDK does require Ax registration as outlined - this will change in V3 - but for now it must be done and we do provide an installer which will facilitate this fro you to distribute and ensure all is performed correctly (and silently if required) - and just to reiterate - there is no 'call home' mechanism in this either.

I believe that we operate in an open and convivial manner with all our clients with the one exception you mention - this has been a fraught relationship from the outset and appears to get no easier, but we have not hidden the content of the exchange and if you browse the forums over all - I believe you will see the overwhelming majority of our clients have no complaints with our support or our methods of business.

If we do have one potential strength that could border on being a fault in some eyes - it is perhaps that we are have no borrowings, loans or trade debts exceeding 30 days and this 'rude financial health' allows us to reject desperate measures when doing business, if its bad business we wont do it and it is this refusal to accede to the above developers unacceptable and at times 'hysterically conveyed' demands which led to the dispute in question and us refunding the dev's license fee for our drivers - though he does in fact still use our Viewer SDK.

Hope that helps
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
nlopes
User

Post by nlopes »

Thanks John. You've addressed my questions. I'm was only wondering because of those 7 to 10 computers for my client in which my application is running. I was recently asked to implement the ability for them to scan/OCR, read/view/annotate PDF documents (but I'm using a different SDK for the scanning and ocr). I have no issues registering the ActiveX, since my application is written in Visual Basic 6, so it actually works out well. I look forward to purchasing the PDFX-Change PRO SDK (which includes the PDFX-Change ActiveX Viewer SDK and is what I'll mostly be using in my application). I also look forward to the version (v3) you'll be releasing. I still hope it will work with VB6 and not just .NET.

Best Regards,

Nelson
fabrizio
User

Post by fabrizio »

Hi John, thank you for the answer. We are now considering to purchase the PDF-XChange Viewer PRO SDK and would like to ask a couple of questions:

Our application is planned to run from a removable USB drive, so we can get two different scenarios on the customer machine:
- PDFXChange Viewer already installed (in free or PRO version)
- no PDFXChange Viewer installed

In the first case can we register PDFXCviewAx.DLL and exploit the already installed PDFXCview.exe (without registering the EXE file which comes with our application)?
Calling SetDevInfo will disable free limitations on PDFXChange Viewer for the actual software session only?

In the second case, can we distribute PDFXChange Viewer free version installer (PDFXVwer.exe) along with our application and install it on the client machine?

Purchasing the PDF-XChange Viewer PRO SDK will provide us a serial number to be used with SetDevInfo?
Once we purchased the software is the serial number released in a short time/immediately?

Is there a special (time-limited) serial number we can try before purchasing the PRO SDK?

Thank you.
Fabrizio
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Nelson,

thanks and for sure V3 will work with VB6 ! :-)

Fabrizio - please see my next post/answer ...

Best regards
Tracker Support
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Fabrizio,

Firstly with regards your technical questions :

in the first example (when the viewer is installed already) there is no need to register any dll or exe - they are already registered and you can use the ActiveX (for sure though an if older version is installed, a developer can optionally install a newer version if required).
in the second case (when the viewer isn't installed) developer needs to install it from the redistributed package preferably offered by us for DEV use on the developers download page.

In either case SetDevInfo will only 'unlock' the instantiated ActiveX for which this call was made. even if the standalone viewer was launched already or launched after instantiating ActiveX, and your user if he wishes to use the 'PRO' Viewer (rather than free functionality only) outside of your application (standalone) they will need an end user license as well.

We offer no time limited developer keys and specifically offer the SDK evaluation downlaods to avoid the necessity to do so - the only limitation being the demo stamps on saved files using the PRO functionality - this should allow you to evaluate fully before you decide to buy, provided you and your clients understand that buying a developer license does not provide a 'Back Door' to use the end user functionality without paying for licenses to do so in full - if that is the required use.

A developer license allows you to add value to your vertical market application by providing PDF viewing/manipulation functionality and is not intended to allow you to build a better/less expensive PDF Viewer than offered by ourselves.

Hope that makes sense ... Please be sure you understand the licensing etc - because we resist refunds on developer products - simply because there should be no need, you have the ability to test exhaustively before purchase and we do not want you buy until you are 100% happy it will do as required - and you fully understand the licensing limitations.

One last comment so you are fully informed - version 3 will behave a little differently in that it will allow mulitple installs - so that if you install a newer or older version than that installed already or installed later by another developer - it will not affect any existing or alternative use by another developer - or the end user installation.

Hope that helps.

Best regards
Tracker Support
fabrizio
User

Post by fabrizio »

thank you, clarifying answers :)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »