could not create temporary file

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

asmreg
User

could not create temporary file

Post by asmreg »

pdf x-change printer lite 2012 5.0 build 272.1
windows 7 pro sp1 simplified chinese
I changed the temporary directory from default to d:\temp

when I click the "PRINT" button in print dialog, an warning shows that"could not create temporary file. This is probably due to security restictions of your temporary directory. Printing may fail.", then the dialog close and nothing was output.
but if I runs the editor(notepad, internet explorer, etc.) in administrator rights, all funcions work well.
I hope that this problem can be fixed becasue the "Tinypdf" can create the pdf file without running in administrator rights.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: could not create temporary file

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello asmreg,

Thanks for yout post. Our drivers do not need admin privileges, but they do need to be able to write in that folder, so please do check the folder settings and make sure that your Windows user account (with the restricted permissions) has the needed access to write in that folder and everything should be OK.

Regards,
Stefan
asmreg
User

Post by asmreg »

well, I solved the problem but confused. :(
when I add the my user account in security tab of d:\temp folder and check all of available rights, it does not need administrator rights to print.
But before I add my account to the security tab, I can read/create/write/modify normal file in d:\temp by Windows Explorer and 7-zip File Manager, so I confused that why my user account must be added to the security tab when the print drivers writes temporary files to the same folder.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello asmreg,

Glad to hear that the problem is resolved. And you need these elevated privileges, as our printing driver operates on a different level than you directly manipulating files in the folder, and needs slightly different permissions.

Regards,
Stefan
timtak
User

Post by timtak »

I am getting the same error message.

I tried adding my user name to the security tab and giving myself read write and modify privelidges over the temp folder (I use one on my desktop) but nothing has changed. I still can't print using the PDF Exchange Printer Lite Drive from PDF Exchange Editor, getting the same error message.

I have set my temporary folder of the printer driver to a folder called temp on the desktop as below. It did not work when my temporary folder was in the USERs my documents.

My settings are in this screenshot

I can save to the directory without issue.

By the way, after logging in here and attempting to go back to this page I was told "Your connection is not secure" Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to https://www.pdf-xchange.com:80. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

Learn more…

I managed to get back here via your homepage.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Can we please get some info on your Windows OS and the version of the driver being used ?

Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
timtak
User

Post by timtak »

By all means. From the about tab
PDF XChange Printer 2012 lite
Version 5.0 build 273.2
Windows Home Premium x64 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1 but I am updating Windows now)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi timtak,

That's quite an old build. Please download and test Version 6 Build 317.1 and you should find that helps:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXLite6.zip

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
timtak
User

Post by timtak »

Thank you Will (and before that John). With the new version the problem is essentially the same but the error message is now partly in Japanese.

It says that it could not create a temporary file in the temporary directory (which I have moved out of my documents to a directory on the desktop). I moved my temporary directory because I have a smallish SSD C drive and do not use any of the "My Documents" (etc) folders that Microsoft provides.

The Japanese says "access was denied" with now an error code "(5)"

Incidentally I also have, recently, an issue with the main part of PDF XChange in that there is a preponderance of blue and green in documents. The above document is meant to be colourful. I also had some of the same light blue colouring another text document that I had. I have just uploaded to the latest version of PDF XChange 3.0. It may have something do with my recent Windows update which included updates to display drivers.

I wonder if there is an "upgrade" price (and ideally an educational one!) for moving between PDF Xchange Editor 3.0 and the latest PDF Xchange Editor 6.

Tim
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hello asmreg,
asmreg wrote:well, I solved the problem but confused. :(
when I add the my user account in security tab of d:\temp folder and check all of available rights, it does not need administrator rights to print.
But before I add my account to the security tab, I can read/create/write/modify normal file in d:\temp by Windows Explorer and 7-zip File Manager, so I confused that why my user account must be added to the security tab when the print drivers writes temporary files to the same folder.
This is probably because your d:\temp folder allowed write permissions for Administrators group but not for your account explicitly and you accessed this folder with elevated privileges.
When UAC is enabled, then only security entries of 'deny' type is actual for accounts from Administrators group unless the process is running with elevated privileges.

Generally, if you customize your %TEMP% directory location you should also make sure that the security entries of the new directory are the same as of the original directory.
timtak
User

Post by timtak »

It has been years since I changed my temp directory (to move it out of my tiny SSD C drive when I bought my computer). I did add access and modify privelidges explicitly to my account. I am not sure what else I should do.

To be honest the other problem (that the colours are all off after my display driver upgrade, I think) is the bigger problem. Should I start a seperate thread for that?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello timtak,

If this post does not resolve the issue with the colours - certainly start a separate thread for it!
I suspect you might have activated the accessibility settings in the Editor - please try pressing Ctrl-Shift-6 and see if this will help. Then please also check Edit -> Preferences -> Accessibility and see if those options are turned on or off for you.

As for the access to the %TEMP% folder - is it full access for any user and application or only for the system?

Regards,
Stefan
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello timtak,
timtak wrote:It has been years since I changed my temp directory (to move it out of my tiny SSD C drive when I bought my computer). I did add access and modify privelidges explicitly to my account. I am not sure what else I should do.
The following command will set your %TEMP% directory security as it is in the original temp directory:

Code: Select all

powershell.exe -Command "$orgAcl=(gi $env:LOCALAPPDATA\Temp).GetAccessControl('Access');$orgAcl.SetAccessRuleProtection($true, $true);Set-Acl -AclObject $orgAcl -Path $env:TEMP"
timtak
User

Post by timtak »

How do I execute that code Roman?

My Temp folder is just a folder that I created. It is not in my documents or local appdata. It is just a bog standard folder on my D drive. I never have any problem saving to it. I have stipulated it in the settings of your software.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

timtak wrote:How do I execute that code Roman?
Press Win+R keyboard combination. In the opened "Run" window type cmd and press OK.
Console window will open.
Paste the code above there and press Enter.
In any red colored text will appear please post it in this topic.
timtak
User

Post by timtak »

Dear Roman

Thank you very much for the instructions on how to execute the code.

There were two problems.

1) First of all the code uses
LOCALAPPDATA\Temp
to attempt to change the permissions of the windows defined %TEMPT% directory. My Temp director is not that directory but a random directory called TEMP on the desktop which I have specified in the settings of the printer driver. I don't use any of those windows defined folders because they tend to be on C which is a SSD and smallish @ 128GB.

2) Secondly an error message was thrown which I do not understand.

3) I was going to show you the setting of my temp folder in your printer driver software but now when I attempt to do so I get another error.

And this is leaving aside the fact that PDFs are no longer displayed anyway, but are a nasty shade of black. The first page of the document I am now looking at is okay. The rest are like this.

Before I start a new thread about the blackness, please would you tell me if there is, or could be, any academic upgrade price? I don't think that I need any more functionality but I'd pay 10USD to make all this go away.

Tim
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

timtak wrote: 2) Secondly an error message was thrown which I do not understand.
Tim
This shows that there are definitely some secuity problems with your TEMP folder.

Please run the same code as Administrator. To do this open Windows Start menu (press Win keyboard button), then type cmd. You should see "Command Prompt" entry selected in the menu. Right-click that entry and click "Run As Administrator" in the popup menu.
After UAC comfirmation (or possibly entering Administrator's password) you should get Administrator's command prompt window opened.
Paste the code from my previous post into the window and press Enter (as you did previously).
Please let me know the output.