Latest V6 Printer version - some issues/questions...

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers only - Please do not post requests for older versions of PDF-XChange or the PDF-Tools/OFFice2PDF applications here

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Puffolino
User

Latest V6 Printer version - some issues/questions...

Post by Puffolino »

1) the filerequester will be opened in the background at the top left screen position - please center the window and bring it to the front! The first point may need to create an invisible window before initiating the requester, the second issue could be done by checking the windows handles and sending an message to the filerequester when has been created...

2) since the latest update, my windows 8.1 shows me an printer error (in a dark blue box on the right screen) each time I want to print to the printer driver. When printing is done, the printer job stays in the printer spooler...
...I never had this behaviour, not sure, if this has to do with the update of the printer driver or some windows updates from the last weeks...

3) I'm also curious how to set printer margins individually - I'm quite sure, there must be a trick, but I failed to do so. In other words, how to get specific margins (left, right, top, bottom) easily? In the paper setup configuration, I tried to change the sheet size by removing the tick from "Scale to fit". Is this the right approach? And how to get rid of the apect ratio lock?

Thank you,
Michael
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Latest V6 Printer version - some issues/questions...

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the post!
1) the filerequester will be opened in the background at the top left screen position - please center the window and bring it to the front! The first point may need to create an invisible window before initiating the requester, the second issue could be done by checking the windows handles and sending an message to the filerequester when has been created...
I'm not seeing this here. Can you advise on whether this happens when printing from a particular application?
2) since the latest update, my windows 8.1 shows me an printer error (in a dark blue box on the right screen) each time I want to print to the printer driver. When printing is done, the printer job stays in the printer spooler...
...I never had this behaviour, not sure, if this has to do with the update of the printer driver or some windows updates from the last weeks...
Please send a screen-shot of the error you are seeing. Also, does this happen with all applications and with all files?
3) I'm also curious how to set printer margins individually - I'm quite sure, there must be a trick, but I failed to do so. In other words, how to get specific margins (left, right, top, bottom) easily? In the paper setup configuration, I tried to change the sheet size by removing the tick from "Scale to fit". Is this the right approach? And how to get rid of the apect ratio lock?
I don't believe that it's currently possible to set the right and bottom margins in the printer, at least I couldn't find any way to do so. I'll need to double check that. Regarding the aspect ratio lock, I'm not sure what you mean there. Can you clarify?

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Here a screen shots from a short demo session...

1. Print Browser content (Ctrl+P)
2. Windows Printer Dialog (select Properties)
3.-6. Try to use A4 Paper with 1 cm margin on all four sides (just as a simple example), but it is impossible to set the printing area to 190x277mm
7. Canceled the PDF-XChange-Printer-Properties and started printing... (Error!)
8. The file requester opens (uncentered) in the background (not easily seen when the main app is in full screen mode)
9. Click on the file requester and closed it
10. The printing job is in the spooler (independently a PDF has been created or not)
Attachments
Screenshots.zip
(925.2 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I also experience the save window not popping up on top and being placed in the upper left cornr. In the all-tab order it comes last.

Curiously the Lite driver has its save window pop up on top on the very same.PC (both drivers installed).
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info. - I've just tested here and regarding the Save As dialog, I only see this behaviour when printing from certain applications (e.g. Firefox & Thunderbird, MS Edge), but when printing from other applications it opens in the foreground, as the active windows (e.g. MS Word, Notepad, Internet Explorer 11, the Editor, Adobe Reader, etc.). I'll pass that along to see what's going on here.
10. The printing job is in the spooler (independently a PDF has been created or not)
I don't see that here. What OS are you using? I'm using Windows 10.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

I've checked some programs now (Microsoft Office etc.), the behaviour of the "invinsible" file selector in the top left screen position is the same everywhere - this effect was seen in earlier releases, then it got better, the latest version shows, hm, the uncoolest behaviour.

I am using Windows 8.1 here.

Cheers.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Puffolino,

I've heard back from one of the devs. on this and he's said he will look into it to see what we can do. He's also mentioned that fixing this might not be as easy as it would seem, as MS's policy is to prevent background applications from showing windows/dialogs on top of other windows. As he said: we'll do what we can.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Maybe take a look into how XChange Lite does it then? ;) When I print out of the same application using Lite then the save window pops up in front, while the Standard window does not.

But yes, I noticed that various applications can suffer from this. That being said, I mentioned elsewhere that Editors CTRL-F popup causes Editor to come to front the moment it is activated. This happens not only when CTRL-F is used, but also when I activate the popup window via X-mouse. My X-mouse settings are to activate window under mouse-pointer after 1s of hovering, but to not bring it to front. So whatever code the CTRL-F window is using, it may be usable to bring the save dialog to front, too.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Curious: I just tried to replicate the behavior and also moved the save windows around. Both Lite and Standard pop up in front now and they save their position after I moved them. This is quite shortly after I did a fresh PC start. I'll keep an eye on this and report back.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

It's worth mentioning that Adobe's own Acrobat printer doesn't pop up its save dialog in front of Adobe's own Acrobat DC. So it's not an exclusive problem of XChange. ;)
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Puffolino,

I've heard back from one of the devs. on this and he's said he will look into it to see what we can do. He's also mentioned that fixing this might not be as easy as it would seem, as MS's policy is to prevent background applications from showing windows/dialogs on top of other windows. As he said: we'll do what we can.

Cheers,
Thanks for your efforts.
As I know services are not allowed to handle dialogs directly, but I have a positive feeling, that background processes can do everything ;-)
I'm not sure, if the windows internal requester will be modified by a hook/callback (to see the pdf options), but even when the initial call won't bring the window to the front, a delayed message could do that...

Off topic (not totally): because Windows 8.1 does not have a start menu, I wrote a small menu to have access to all needed apps and documents. When the mouse cursor is moved to the top left screen position, it's windows gets on the top - this works reliable and fine :)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks guys, we'll see what can be done :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Meantime I played around with windows API calls to get a windows (let's say it's handle is stored in WinID) reliable to the front...

I started with...
SetForegroundWindow(WinID)
SetActiveWindow(WinID)
SetFocus(WinID)

...found...
BringWindowToTop(WinID)

...but ended with...
SendMessage(#HWND_BROADCAST,#WM_SYSCOMMAND,#SC_HOTKEY,WinID)

...which seems to work perfect in all cases!

Maybe this could be helpful for your developer team.

Cheers,
Michael
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Brilliant, thanks Michael - I'll pass that along!

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)