Page default

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's OFFice2PDF and MS Office Addin Applications - supplied with PDF-XChange.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

sinecure
User

Page default

Post by sinecure »

I searched and this seems to be an old problem that is not resolved. If I do a PDF from Word 2010 it defaults to A4. I change the Page size to Letter and it holds that as long as I do more PDFs in Word without closing the present session. The very next time I go back into Word and then go to do a PDF it is back at A4. It is an extra step all the time and easy to forget so I have to do things twice.
I am in Word 2010 fully up to date - Win7 - the PDF Tools Main About shows build 4.210 but I have the 2012 version just installed and that shows on the About Tab from Word as version 5 build 269.
Any ideas for this issue.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Page default

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi sinecure,

thanks for the post. Take a look in the Advanced Options --> Print section of Word (at least that's where it is in 2013). You should find an option called "Scale content for A4 or 8.5x1" paper sizes". It is on be default, try turning it off and see if that helps, it should.

Also you may want to lread this, it details how printers interface with applicatins and how settings are stored in anmy printer. It may help clear up why sometimes it seems that settings are not being kept. https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgeba ... r-Settings

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
sinecure
User

Post by sinecure »

I am sorry to report that I have now unchecked the Scale content. I then tried a Word file and set it to Letter. Closed Word and opened the file again and it held at letter. Re-started computer and opened Word file and went to print with PDF and it was set to A4 so had to change. Checked and Scale content still unchecked.
So this is a bug in the program and a very irritating one. Back in earlier versions - I am going away back like 2004 and a lot of upgrades since this never was an issue.
Sure would like a solution that worked and maybe so would a few other million Canadians and down south too.
Cheers.
PS. Same problems with Publisher and printing from Outlook and forms from Quicken Small Business. Maybe others but don't remember. How about a set as default button?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi sinecure,

this is actually consistent with how Windows handles printer settings as far as I can tell. I sent you a link to a KB that explains this is detail. Did you have a chance to go over that yet? What I believe you are seeing is Word setting the options for the Word Session only. I think from your description that even though you closed word and opened it again to find your letter setting remembered that perhaps Word still had a process running that kept it's hooks on that setting. It should have returned to A4 I would think.

The real test was restarting. This allowed the printer to revert to it's default setting. Here's the way to change that. Try restarting your PC, then before starting any application that may use custom printer settings (this should not be necessary but lets do it anyway for illustration) go to the Printing Preferences (right click the PDF-XChange Printer in Devices and Printers in your Windows Control Panel) then set the page zise to letter and the sheet size to Auto.

Click Apply --> OK

This should set letter as the 'Default' paper sizer. Try it and let me know how that goes?

You might also want toi look into profiles, you may find them handy: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgeba ... nge-driver
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
sinecure
User

Post by sinecure »

Looks like that is working but won't know for sure until I have worked for awhile. Still think for new users and clutzes there should be a simple default in the program - maybe add to the wish list.
Thanks
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Sinecure,

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll add it to the feature request list for you. Though I obviously can not guarantee that it will be implemented, I can say that it will be looked at and given serious evaluation for implementation.

Hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.