PDF bookmark headings bug

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's OFFice2PDF and MS Office Addin Applications - supplied with PDF-XChange.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rogerwp
User

PDF bookmark headings bug

Post by rogerwp »

I create a Word 2007 document starting with a level 1 heading followed by a level 2 heading. The bookmarks in the resulting pdf lose the first level 1 heading and replace it with the level 2 heading.

I'm using Adobe Reader 8, clicking the bookmarks tab does not show the heading hierarchy from the original Word document.

Attached zip file with Word doc and pdf.

This is pretty important because I utilise the bookmarks extensively for my user guides.

Thanks

Roger
PDF XChange Standard 4. 0151
Vista SP1
Word 2007
Attachments
bug-doc.zip
(44.08 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: PDF bookmark headings bug

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Thanks for the file.

Will check and fix asap.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
rogerwp
User

Post by rogerwp »

Any update on this one? I'm ready to publish a large 120 page pdf and would like to include the bug fix.

Thanks,
Roger
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Please update your PDF-XChange to the latest available build where this trouble is fixed.

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
rogerwp
User

Post by rogerwp »

I've updated to 0152 but the resulting pdf does not show the bookmarks list in the navigation panel (Adobe Reader 8 )

In my settings I have "Generate bookmarks" checked.

--
Roger
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Roger,

can you please check you do in fact have build 152 - we have noticed one of our 3 mirrirs had not correctly updated and we are just updating this again now (takes about 15 minutes).

You can check you build in the Printers list ->right click printer preferences -> About Tab

If still build 151 - please wait approx 15 minutes and then update - if you do in fact have build 152 already - then there obviously is still a problem - please do let us know.

Many thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
rogerwp
User

Post by rogerwp »

Definitely 0152

Just to add, I'm specifying the settings from within the Word 2007 pdf XChange menu tab. I have bookmarks checked and all headings 1-9 checked.

I'm using 128 bit security RC4 ( Adobe 5.0 and later )

--
Roger
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Ok Roger, thanks.

I have asked the project manager responsible to take another look.

thanks for your patience.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Please send us .tmp and .xml files created during convertion of your document as described here: https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... .php?t=800.

Corwin - Tracker Sup
User

Post by Corwin - Tracker Sup »

Do you have such problems with file which is attached to the first message in this topic?
rogerwp
User

Post by rogerwp »

Here's what I've done:

1. I completed the procedure for creating the tmp files. There were two PDFSaver4.exe running, stopped both.
2. Ran pdfSaver4.exe" /tweak /show
3. Created the pdf - and it worked! Showed the bookmark tabs. Great.

4. Next time I start using Word to create pdf's, bookmarks gone!

Did steps 1-3 and they're back.

Then gone.

Thought there may be some bad files kicking around so completely uninstalled pdf-XChange. This can't have removed everything because it still knew my registration key when I reinstalled.

Exactly the same happened again. Running /tweak created bookmarks, so no tmp files to illustrate the problem.

Interestingly, if I end the process of this new instance of pdfSaver4 and create a pdf, the bookmarks are gone but also it creates two instances of pdfSaver4.exe

--
Roger
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Please check the value of InstallPath located into the registry by path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 4.0\Drivers.
And please be sure build 152 is installed into this location.

rogerwp
User

Post by rogerwp »

Ivan - Tracker Software wrote:Please check the value of InstallPath located into the registry by path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange 4.0\Drivers.
And please be sure build 152 is installed into this location.
InstallPath OK
152 installed.

Remember I did a complete uninstall, then re-installed 152 using all default settings and locations.

I've narrowed it down to this...
Run Word2007 and create a pdf. Result: no bookmarks tab, and TWO pdfSaver processes running, both seem identical, same file size/path, both last modified 09 ‎October ‎2008, ‏‎06:40:18, one takes up slightly more memory.

End these two proceses (or wait until they auto unload) then MANUALLY run pdfSaver.
Create pdf. Result: Bookmarks! and only ONE pdfSaver process running.

Conclusion: Creating pdf's from within Word2007 does not work but a manual workaround can be done.

--
Roger
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi,

We are looking into this - but for now cannot replicate the issue at all - all works as it shoudl and we have many, many users working with Office 2007 - and no other such reports - so its a bit of a mystery why you appear to be having such issues.

Will advise when we have some progress or need addiitonal info - thnaks for your patience.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Looks like trouble with two copies of pdfSaver4 process was introduced into build 152. We will try to fix it asap.

bruellth
User

Post by bruellth »

Hello,

i have the same problem with Office 2007 and Windows Vista.
rogerwp
User

Post by rogerwp »

Something is wrong with 0152 but until the issue is replicated by the developers I can't see a solution for me. I've gone back to running build 0151.

EDIT : This comment refers to the missing bookmarks panel within the pdf reader. There was an original problem (per my original post when starting this topic) but that is now over shadowed by this.

Roger
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Roger - have you posted the problem you refer to in the Viewer - in the Viewer forum ?

Thanks.

Best regards
Tracker Support
rogerwp
User

Post by rogerwp »

I thought it was a creation issue and not a reader issue. It worked with build 151 and not with 152 (the latest version of version 152). I use Adobe reader. I'll stick with build 151.

I assume you've done the following:

Find a clean Vista SP1 pc.
Install build 151
Use Word2007 to create a document that includes headings
Create a pdf
Upgrade to build 152
Create a pdf from the same Word document
View each pdf in Adobe reader.

Does the second pdf have a bookmarks panel?

--
Roger
bruellth
User

Post by bruellth »

Hello,

i will help to find the problem.
Where can i download the build 151? i have only the version 152 on my harddisk. Thanks.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Sorry Roger,

Misread your post think you meant the bookmarks were just not showing in the Viewer - I now see you are saying for sure they are not created at all.

investigating further ...

Best regards
Tracker Support
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

A fix for this will be available in build 153 - which should be available late today/tomorrow.
thanks for your patience.

Best regards
Tracker Support