Aligning interactive form fields when making a .pdf

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's OFFice2PDF and MS Office Addin Applications - supplied with PDF-XChange.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

richardbs
User

Aligning interactive form fields when making a .pdf

Post by richardbs »

Hi There-

I'm using the Web Tools/Forms feature in MS Word 2003 (as described in an earlier thread) to make interactive PDF Forms, but I notice that form fields on my PDF do not match up with the form fields on my Word doc. Specifically, the fields on the .pdf seem to be offset about 1/2 a line lower on the .PDF than on the Word doc, and this distance increases as I add more form fields.

I thought it might be my font settings in Word, but the offset occurs regardless of the font size for the additional text. Please see attached. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Aligning interactive form fields when making a .pdf

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

Can you please supply a sample of the Word file and the resulting PDF - in a zipped archive -and we will be pleased to take a look.

Thanks.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
richardbs
User

Post by richardbs »

Here you go! Thanks,

Richard
Attachments
Samples.zip
(6.82 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Richard,

I tried a conversion from Word 2003 to PDF using the addin and it seemed to convert OK. Please take a look at the attached zip archive, it contains your original word document (Document 1.doc), your converted PDF (Document 1.pdf) and my attempt (Document 2.pdf) and tell me if this is what you were looking for.
Attachments
richardbs.zip
(9.19 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
richardbs
User

Post by richardbs »

Hi There-

That's exactly what I'm looking for! So how do I do it???

Richard
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hey Richard,

There is a "Convert web forms" checkbox in the add-in preferences

Which you should turn on - it's off by default.

Regards,
Stefan
richardbs
User

Post by richardbs »

Good Morning-

I have that feature enabled. That's what allowed me to make the fill-able field in the first place, as you know. I'm just wondering why my fields don't line up, yet yours do when using the same word doc! :(

Richard
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Please make sure you are using the latest build (168)
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/downloads/users/

as if I had that turned off my form fields were also shifted weirdly.

Cheers,
Stefan
richardbs
User

Post by richardbs »

Will do. Is it better to uninstall and re-install, or will the download just overwrite the existing version??
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

You'd better uninstall completely, restart when prompted then download and install the latest version and restart once again after the install is complete. This way all settings should be wiped out clean and then written with the new values.

Best,
Stefan
richardbs
User

Post by richardbs »

Hi-

Well bad news. I did the uninstall/reinstall (used the link from your website) and that didn't work out. I uninstalled a second time. Before reinstalling, I went down through the Registry and did a search and delete for all folders/keys for 'Tracker Software,' 'PDF-XC' and 'PDFXC'. I then reinstalled againusing the same link from your website. Still a no-go. :(

I had my co-worker download directly from your website earlier today (which is where I did the re-install from) and it works great on her machine. Just like me, she's using WinXP and Word 2003.

So now I'm wondering if there might be a file somewhere that's not being overwritten with the re-install, even when the Registry keys are deleted.

Thanks,
Richard
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

I didn't even use build 168... if you look at the document properties it was created using PDF-XChange 4.0 167.0 Windows Vista x64 Service Pack 2.

Other than that I have "Convert Web Forms" and "Convert Revision Markups" checked in the Office Addin preferences ,. It seems however that you are having other issues getting the version to work on your PC. Am I reading things correctly that the installation worked after cleaning the registry - it's just that this conversion continues to go awry?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
richardbs
User

Post by richardbs »

Hi There-

Yes, you're reading correctly. PDF XChange 4 Pro is installed and works. However, when I convert web forms to .pdf, the form fields do not line up. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and the .pdfs come out looking like the ones I attached to an earlier post.

My co-worker installed the trial version from your website and when she .pdf's the same doc, the form fields line up perfectly.

Thanks,
Richard
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Richard,

is there any difference in your Windows/Word versions - or any other enviroment/variable settings which might account for this difference in results ?
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I think there is a simple solution to this bad alignment: simply do turn off the display of the "hidden text" in Word.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Willy - Richard, did this work for you ?

Best regards
Tracker Support