settings not saved

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's OFFice2PDF and MS Office Addin Applications - supplied with PDF-XChange.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

alexg00
User

settings not saved

Post by alexg00 »

Every time I open settings dialog in office addin paper always defaults to A4 format.
Changes to page size are not saved.
I am using the latest version.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: settings not saved

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi,

MS Office (MS designed it this way) will always override any Paper size settings you make anyway and use those specified in your page setup for that file when opened by Word etc - so you need to make sure that is right - rarther than the settings in OFFice2PDF or the PDF-XChange driver.

If this is not the issue - pelase advise the version of Office installed on your system and supply a sample PDF and document so we can test here using the samer items you have - please note the files must be zipped to attach here.

thanks.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
alexg00
User

Post by alexg00 »

My default in Word and Excel is Letter.
Addin settings always default to A4, but when printing using print driver it correctly defaults to Letter.
Also quality of generated PDF output is poor when using addin and good when printing using print driver.
Office 2007, Windows 7
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

To address firstly the quality issue -:

As the Addin is in fact a front end only to the driver - the quality will only differ if you have the settings in the Addin settings icon set differently to the driver - please check the 3rd Icon on your toolbar - "settings' and adjust as desired.

Likewise - irrespective of what you set paper wise - as with the driver any MS Word file will over write any preferences saved for page size - or it would be very odd - can you please zip and attach any problem files (both Office and PDF fiels please) and we will investigate and advise.

Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
kschmidt1351
User

Post by kschmidt1351 »

Just to chime in, I'm having exactly the same issue, but I'm just using Word 2003 on XP SP3. My Page Setup is the following, and has been for several years. :D

I uploaded an attachment of my Word Page Settings (a GIF file).
Attachments
Snap1.zip
(17.77 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Please can you advise what version/build of PDF-XChange and also Windows is installed please ?
also please supply a sample Word and PDF file for us to exam.

please note all file MUST be archived to a zip file (or .RAR/7z)

thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support
kschmidt1351
User

Post by kschmidt1351 »

I'm running Word 2003, XP SP3, PDF X-Change 4.0 Build 174.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

and the requested sample files ?

They will not be attached - if not zipped as explained.

Best regards
Tracker Support
kschmidt1351
User

Re: Paper Settings not automatically saved

Post by kschmidt1351 »

I attached a zipped DOC file. There's no PDF file, since there issue has no relationship with PDF generation.

I'm now wondering if I'm making a mistaking by attaching to the end of this thread. I'm actually not hitting any buttons to do a save. However, I don't have to hit any other buttons to for the PDF-XChange add-in to automatically save my other configuration settings like Links > Links Appearances, Bookmarks, and Word Options (these work great!; I'm happy these are saved!). I changed the subject of this email to better reflect my issue.

It's just the Paper Setting options that I must change every time, which ain't good.
Attachments
This file has a page setup of letter.zip
(125.6 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks - have passed to the project manager responsible and as soon as I have his response will revert, thanks for your patience.

Best regards
Tracker Support
rogerwp
User

Post by rogerwp »

Just to add to this.

The graphic resolution settings do not save, they stay at 300. In previous versions I've been using 600 but was never too sure how important the graphic resolution setting is. I require high quality images in my pdf's.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Noted and investigating ...

Best regards
Tracker Support
mcheung
User

Post by mcheung »

Having same issue with Office2PDF 4.0 where it is not possible to set default page size to Letter as options page has sticky value of A4. Despite comments that Word should override the Office2PDF setting the resulting PDF output is A4.

Is there any further information on what needs to be done to get the desired Letter page size output.
Corwin - Tracker Sup
User

Post by Corwin - Tracker Sup »

Hi,

The problem with saving page settings will be fixed in the next build.

However MS Word will always use document paper size set within Word/Office and over ride any of PDF-XChange (or other Printer defined) paper size settings, so you should change the paper size in MS Word document settings ("File->Page Setup" menu item).

HTH
mcheung
User

Post by mcheung »

Have downloaded PDF-XChange Standard build Version 4.0181 and paper size setting seems to be saving okay now. Thanks.

Note however that even using Word page size setting of Letter, it still did not overwrite the PDF-XChange default setting of A4 paper size.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

are you sure it was paper size ? I suspect it maybe the 'Sheet size' to which you refer

Could you please take a screenshot and zip and post ?

Thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support
mcheung
User

Post by mcheung »

I'm posting sample Word document set to letter paper size which also contains screen shots of system settings. Also included is the resulting PDF which was generated as A4 size due to PDF-XChange setting.
Attachments
paper size letter.zip
(170.98 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thank you for the info - however its the settings in the PDF-XChange Driver I really need a screenshot of :

Control Panel - (devices) Printers - PDF-XChange - Right click, Printer Preferences -> General Tab -: and then the Layout options - is sheet size set to 'Auto' ?

Thanks

Best regards
Tracker Support
mcheung
User

Post by mcheung »

The layout sheet size is set to auto. I've updated the doc file with the new print screen "This PDF-XChange default page size paper setting from Control Panel" on page 2 to show this.
Attachments
paper size letter.zip
(264.18 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi,

can you confirm what happens if you use the option on your Word toolbar or the option 'file -> Print' and print to the PDF-XChange Printer directly ?

Please also check the Word option under the main 'Button' -> Word options -> Advanced (see the PDF file attached - please turn off)

HTH
Attachments
Print options.zip
Print options - Advanced in MS Word
(83.98 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

Best regards
Tracker Support
mcheung
User

Post by mcheung »

Hi John,

Before running the test you requested, I tried to duplicate my problem and for some reason are not able to do so. I'm now confused as to what happened as I am confident the conditions I described earlier this month have been duplicated. Note that I'm using PDF-XChange Standard build Version 4.0181 versus the original one where I first reported my problem back on April 24, 2010.

So at this time all I can say is that I don't have a problem with printing to the letter paper size now. Sorry for taking up your time.

Regards,
Michael
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Michael,

Sometimes it just happens like this, you are unable to duplicate it despite the best efforts and that all conditions look the same.

All we can do now is hope the issue will not reappear but if it does - you know where to find us.

Best,
Stefan