Hyperlink/bookmark boxes in PDF misaligned low

This Forum is for the use of End Users requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's OFFice2PDF and MS Office Addin Applications - supplied with PDF-XChange.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kschmidt1351
User

Hyperlink/bookmark boxes in PDF misaligned low

Post by kschmidt1351 »

I'm using Convert Document to PDF in Word 2003. I'm trying to get bookmarks to work in the PDF. They work, but the hyperlinks boxes are misaligned. Please see the attached GIF file.

I'm running on XP SP3 with PDF X-Change Version 4.0 Build 174 (the latest I believe).

Any ideas???
Attachments
Snap1.zip
(5.07 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Hyperlink/bookmark boxes in PDF misaligned low

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

To be honest the Word and PDF files would be far more useful ...

Zipped as always please.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
kschmidt1351
User

Post by kschmidt1351 »

Okay, I created a small DOC file from my 300 page DOC file. Painful, but of course you need it to debug. The problem stayed faithfully even after I gutted the file down to a few pages.

The attached ZIP contains the DOC, the PDF I get, and four screen shots of what I see in Acrobat Reader 9.

In all cases, the hyperlinks (which I configure in PDF-XChange to be displayed as dotted gray-blue boxes) appear low when Word paragraphs are specified with Format > Paragraph > Spacing > After.

UPDATE: Added the missing ZIP file. It shows more variation in the use of whitespace between paragraphs, and includes a TOC.
Attachments
Misaligned hyperlink box by PDFX-Change.zip
(528.77 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Last edited by kschmidt1351 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for doing so - but we dont have the file attached ...

Might be best/easiest if you zipped and emailed to support at tracker-software.com

ensuring there is a link back to this forum post in the email body ..

Thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
kschmidt1351
User

Post by kschmidt1351 »

Follow-up: I just tried to create a much simpler example from scratch, and lo and behold, the same problem appears for me (WinXP, Win 2003, PDF X-Change 4.0 Build 174). I attached a ZIP with a DOC and PDF, as well as a GIF of what I'm seeing. Same symptoms as in my previous ZIP.

Maybe this DOC will be easier to debug.
Attachments
Much simpler example of misaligned hyperlink box by PDFX-Change.zip
(19.33 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

many thanks !

Best regards
Tracker Support
Corwin - Tracker Sup
User

Post by Corwin - Tracker Sup »

Hello,

That is a long known problem and I'm afraid that it can not be fixed in the current realization.
All I can recommend you is to replace the big paragraph spacing in the document with an additional new line, just like in the attached example.
Attachments
Much simpler example of misaligned hyperlink box by PDFX-Change_fix.zip
(3.68 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
kschmidt1351
User

Post by kschmidt1351 »

Sorry about the long post.

I appreciating getting an answer back from you and the project manager. What hasn't changed for me is the fast response time that you provide me, which is why I stay loyal.

I appreciate your providing an alternative solution, but frankly, for me, it is not at all satisfactory. Word's paradigm is to use Format > Paragraph > Spacing > After, and has been for years and years and years. The default Body Text style is 6 points space-after, which is a partial line, not a whole extra line. (It's shocking that this was not tested.) I am not going change my 300-page document for PDFX-Change. Besides, in the table of contents, it is impossible anyway, since it is automatically generated (see my other attachment, which I just finally attached now; sorry, I just noticed that I failed to attach it before). In addition, documents of any sophistication use varying amounts of white space between paragraphs, like 3 points after bullets, 6 points after paragraphs, 12-18 points, using a combination of Space > Before and Space > After. Looking at the screen shots in the late-added "Misaligned hyperlink box by PDFX-Change.zip" I see that the bug is not related just to Space > After, but it is also related to Space > Before. This comes to light by looking at the misalignment after the second paragraph at the top of Chapter 4.

I've only recently started using the PDFX-Change office plug-in. It works well except for this blaring bug, but this bug isn't bad enough for me to stop using it. The benefit for my 300-page document outweighs the negative.

As an engineer, I understand the the issues of architectures, implementation decisions, and how easy, difficult, or practical it is to fix a bug. As a long-time loyal customer (since late 2003), who has recommended PDFX-Change several times, I'm disappointed. I will continue to use the office plug-in as is, but my colleagues here as well as in Japan will see the misaligned boxes, and I will have my little story to tell them as to why, ending with: I can only hope they will fix the bug in the next major release.

Thanks again for your support of this situation. Please pass on my disappointment to the project manager and their management, so that my situation has a chance to be heard for the next "realization."
Corwin - Tracker Sup
User

Post by Corwin - Tracker Sup »

Hi kschmidt1351,

As you know Office Addin is not full stand alone application - it depends on MS Word application and information that Word gives for any office plugins. Sometimes this information may be wrong or not correct and it cannot be fixed via our addin. However in the next version (V5) we will try to use new algorithms that will help to avoid such links misalignment - if possible.
kschmidt1351
User

Post by kschmidt1351 »

I'm sorry if I sounded to harsh. I understand your situation. But I felt compelled to stated my position. The quality of your product and your support compels me to provide constructive criticism, and of course I need to squeak to get my oil sooner than later (oil = next revision of the office add-in with the new architecture that works around Word's current issues :D )

I will try to continue to use the office add-in as is, and await the next major release of your office add-in.

I thank you for your prompt relies and patience with my issue. Thanks!
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks we do understand - and appreciate you making the comments and your understanding - together, we will get there ;)

Best regards
Tracker Support