Lite Driver Install Defaults

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jeffp
User

Lite Driver Install Defaults

Post by jeffp »

I have a special license to distribute the Lite 5.0 driver.

In 4.0, I was able to uncheck the RunApp option by default when installing the driver by setting a registry value.

How to do I uncheck the RunApp option during my default install of the Lite 5.0 driver? It looks like 5.0 does the registry entries differently.

--Jeff
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Lite Driver Install Defaults

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Jeff,

With V5 there would be such a checkbox for each profile:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Lite 5\Printers\Profiles\All\{UNIQUE_NAME}\Data\Save\RunApp = "1" by default.

Regards,
Stefan
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Where do I get the {UNIQUE_NAME}?

In 4.0, it used to be just the Printer name I chose to use with the /PName switch.

Also, every time I manually change a setting in the Lite Driver, the registry seems to create a new {UNIQUE_NAME}. And the value in the Save key seems to be "i.RunApp" not "RunApp".

Lastly, is there a user guide or something that details all the command line options for installing the lite driver?

--Jeff
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jeff,
Just after the printer installation you will have only single profile entry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Lite 5\Printers\Profiles\All\.
Additional 'service' profiles will be created with time to reflect the fact that some applications store printer settings (devmode) separately.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Ok.But is there anyway to know the name of the {UNIQUE_NAME} key, or do I just look for the first subkey under the "All" key and then proceed to set the RunApp value?

With respect to the RunApp value, is it "RunApp" or "i.RunApp"?

Is there an easier way to set this and other default settings during the install?

--Jeff
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

is there anyway to know the name of the {UNIQUE_NAME} key
There is currently no documented way to know this. But in the upcoming build 311 there will be a special value for this:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Lite 5\Printers\Profiles\All\SystemProfile = {per-user devmode profile GUID}.
do I just look for the first subkey under the "All" key and then proceed to set the RunApp value?
Yes. If you do this programmatically then enumerate all the subkeys of the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Lite 5\Printers\Profiles\All key and set required values under every key to be sure.
With respect to the RunApp value, is it "RunApp" or "i.RunApp"?
It is
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Lite 5\Printers\Profiles\All\{GUID}\Data\Save\i.RunApp
DWORD value.
Is there an easier way to set this and other default settings during the install?
We are going to implement such a way in build 312.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Is this available now? That is, can I know force the RunApp option to False when I install your Lite Driver?

If so, what Registry Values or otherwise do I need to change?

--Jeff
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,
Yes, it is available. See my previous message (I updated it).
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Lite 5\Printers\Profiles\SystemProfile registry variable contains GUID of the printer data profile that corresponds to per-user printer preferences.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Sorry, but I'm not following all this.

In the Registry I see

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDF-XChange Lite 5\Printers\Profiles\All

and then a bunch of GUID keys.

I don't see "SystemProfile".

Also, I don't know what GUID I should set. How do I know what GUID to use?

Is this explained in any more detail in some updated documentation that I don't yet have?

Also, is there a way to pass something in the param string when I execute the installer rather than trying to manually set the Registry Value.

Again, all I want to do is set the RunApp item to False on the first install of the driver.

--Jeff
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

The profile subkey in the registry is created after some custom settings have been made to the printer (until then the printer keeps using hadrcoded defaults).
SystemProfile value references a system per-user printer settings profile (i.e. per-user printer preferences) and is generated at run time.

Currently we do not have a straightforward way to override the printer defaults just after the installation.
We are currently working on a significant redesign of this printer. It will include a possibility to setup printer defaults as it was in V4.0.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Ok. When do you estimate this new print driver will be ready? And what build number will it have so I can keep my eyes out for it on your download page?

Thanks.

--Jeff
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

We are aiming for the 2nd half of August Jeff.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Just checking back on this one to see you now have the ability to set defaults in the v5 lite driver like the v4 driver?

Again, I need to make sure the Run Application After Printing is unchecked when my users first install the v5 Lite driver.

If it is in place, can you point me to the info on how to set it.

Thanks.

--Jeff
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Just wanting to make sure you got my follow up inquiry here?

--Jeff
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jeff,

Roman is not in the office this week (annual holidays), I will check up with him again next week for an update.

Regards,
Stefan
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Ok. Thanks.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Any news to report on this one?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jeff,

Roman should be back now, so I'll forward this along for his reply.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

A solution to this problem has been checked in. Although it does not work exactly as in V4 driver, it should be sufficient for your requirements.
If you need it immediately, we can make a special out-of-order build of the Lite driver.

The chances are good that we will finish a Unified/Hybrid PDF-XChange driver for the next bulk release.

In this driver the install defaults will work as in V4.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

I can wait. Just let me know when the official release is posted.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Jeff,

I suggest we make the build for you now to check it will do as required - to be sure ...
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

That's fine. I'd be happy to test it out. Again it's the light driver.

Just let me know when it's ready and where I download it, along with any instructions on how to set values. Again, all I need is to turn off the setting that causes the pdf to be opened by the default pdf app after printing.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,
I am preparing a special build for you. The build will be available tomorrow in the morning.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Ok. With this new build, will I have to pass code to turn off the RunApp option by default or will this be build into the new installer?
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,
No, this will not be built in the installer. You will need a .reg file with necessary setting overrides. I will supply you with a sample .reg file that does specifically what you need - disables RunApp.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Ok. But just to confirm the .reg file will disable the RunApp option only on the first install. That is, if the user manually turns it on it after installing, it will stay on and survive a reinstall. Correct?
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Correct.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,
Here is the promised build.
See included readme.txt file.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

So far it has tested out nicely. Will this profile structure remain the same going forward?

--Jeff
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

jeffp wrote:Will this profile structure remain the same going forward?
For PDF-XChange Lite Edition - yes. We try to keep setting structure backward compatible.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

One follow up. This Lite Driver seems to be for 64bit OSs only. I've gotten a few reports from users that have 32bit OSs that they get an error during the install.

Are all your version 5 drivers 64bit only? Or do you have an installer that will detect the OSs and install accordingly?

I believe the version 4 driver worked with 32bit OSs didn't it?

--Jeff
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

PDF-XChange Lite supports both 32- and 64-bit Windows.
Please provide more info about those reports - what is the Windows version (exactly), what is the error specifically (code, message text, screenshot - whatever you have).
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

I'll get the exact details from one of my users, but from what I can recall that I saw it was a Windows 10 32bit machine that was upgraded from Window 7 32bit. User said he has to do 32bit because he works with a lot of old programs that don't run on 64bit Windows.

The error that I recall seeing during the install of what seemed to be both the Lite PDF driver AND the API driver said something about being a 64 bit component and that it wasn't compatible with the OS.

But as I say, I'm trying to get a screen shot of the exact message that displays during the install.

I'm not sure if this is it, but I know that MS changed the way you call in to their APIs to detect whether the OS is Windows 10 or not. We've had issues with this with our program. Unless you have some kind of manifest in your code, anything beyond Windows 7 will appears a Major OS version 6 and Minor OS version 2. I'm not sure if this messes up calls to determine whether the OS is 64bit or not as well.

--Jeff
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

The exact message that pops up when trying to install on Windows7 32bit version is (but I have also seen this on Windows10 32bit):

"This program can only be installed on versions of Windows designed for the following processor architectures: x64"

Looks like your drivers are trying to install the 64bit version on the 32bit OS. It appears to happen on both the Lite driver install and the API driver install.

Let me know if there is a fix for this.

--Jeff
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,
I cannot reproduce this.
What is the installation stage the message appears at? Could you give me a screenshot?

Is it possible to arrange a remote debug session on a computer where the problem can be reproduced reliably? If it goes for you, please connect me by e-mail and we arrange about suitable time for debugging.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

I'll see what I can arrange. Right now I sent my user build .314 to see if that will install.

We seem to have been getting these reports only after we sent out your build .315.

Let me see what the result of rolling the user back to .314 is first.

--Jeff
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Trying to setup a remote session with one of my users. What time zone are you in? My user is in Ontario, Canada or the Eastern time zone.

--Jeff
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Looks like a false alarm. It appears to be something in my code. Sorry about that.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

No worries Jeff, glad to hear it's resolved!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Jeff, my time zone (although it seems to be unnecessary now :) ) is GMT+3 (summer time).
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Roman,

Another Lite Driver issue just came up.

Here's what my client says. He has the version 5 driver build .315.

"It seems to print from about everything now except our billing from our program Office Tools, Workspace. This program uses crystal reports to create and print invoices. When I print from there I get the “A start doc printer call was not issued” error."

Any ideas on this one? He's open to a remote session if you need to get on his machine. What other info would you like from him?

--Jeff
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,
Am I right that the client got this issue after update to build 315?

Anyhow, I think remote session will be the fastest way in this case. Please ask the client to prepare TeamViewer and e-mail me his credentials and a suitable time for the session. I am available from 7:00 AM till 7:00 PM (GMT).
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

His name is Alan Watkins and his email is

Alan@gmcpas.com

I'm not sure if he has TeamViewer or not. He's owns a small accounting practice so may not be the most technical.

He already confirmed that it would be fine for you to remote in.

I'd suggest just sending him an email and setup a time. I'll let him know to expect an email from you.

Does that sound fine?
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Ok, I sent him an e-mail.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Were you able to connect with Alan and look at the issue?

--Jeff
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,
No. I asked him for a remote session but still no answer.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,
What version of PDF-X Lite does your product of Version 8 include?
Alan says that he started experiencing this issue after v8->v9 upgrade.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

It's the special build you sent me last week to set the i.RunApp option. Version 5 build .315

Our old version 8 program had your version 4 lite driver. Our new version 9 now has your version 5 lite driver.

--Jeff
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

By the way, I recall another support case last week where I had to put your version 4 lite driver back on a computer because they had some internal custom program that was not popping up your SaveAs dialog when printing to your version 5 lite driver.
jeffp
User

Post by jeffp »

Roman,

I wanted to check in on this issue to see if you found out anything working with my customer.

Also, we are getting multiple reports that with the Lite driver version 5 build .315 when printing to IE11 none of the printer settings seem to be respected. We have an internal machine we can replicate this on if you want to remote in. If so, just ping my partner Jim at jim@lucion.com and he'll let you remote into his machine.

--Jeff