Installation/Upgrade of the redistributables

PDF-XChange Drivers API (only) V4/V5
This Forum is for the use of Software Developers requiring help and assistance for Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Printer Drivers SDK (only) - VERSION 4 & 5 - Please use the PDF-Tools SDK Forum for Library DLL assistance.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Maciej Tokarski
User

Installation/Upgrade of the redistributables

Post by Maciej Tokarski »

Hello!
For the last few years we were distributing the V4 of the drivers with our product to customers, to support "printing to PDF" function.
Now we've decided to upgrade to the latest version (6.x).
We're installing the drivers with the following command line parameters:

/VERYSILENT /COMPONENTS="pdfSaver,PDFXChangedriver" /NORESTART /DRVWOPRN /LOG="%GLOBALLOG%"

As far as I can see in your docs, these haven't changed and we can still install with the same parameters.

We support an upgrade installation of our product too though. It means there might be already a version 4 of PDF XChange Drivers installed on the system.

1. What is the recommended way to upgrade the V4 Drivers to V6 Drivers on a customer's machine?
2. any additional/different command line parameters necessary?
3. will the V4 drivers be uninstalled automatically by the V6 installer?

Could you please elaborate a little?

Regards,
Maciej
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Installation/Upgrade of the redistributables

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Maciej

thanks for the question.

When you upgrade from V4 to V6 you will find that the printer (as well as other components) will remain. This is by design so that both can be in place in parallel. You will need to uninstall V4 first.

We have a command line option for PDFSaver to add a printer but not yet to remove one. The ability to remove a printer should be added in the very next build (all things going to plan...)There are domain level tools available to remove software prior to installation however I think what you are looking for is something that you can incorporate into your installer that does this automatically. Is this the case?

I will ask the development team if there are already ways to do that programatically.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Maciej Tokarski
User

Thanks for the answer.
Basically we create an instance of the PDF printer only on demand, for the life time of our process only and remove it when the application is shut down.
I believe it shouldn't be an issue then, if the old version remains there - it will not be used and that's all. When we'll be creating a new instance, it will be the V6 instance then.
Regards,
Maciej
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI again Maciej,

indeed I think you are correct that if you are calling the new on then there should be no conflict, especially if you are creating the printer and removing it after use.

Do let us know how that goes for you?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Maciej Tokarski
User

Hi,
sure, when we have tested it I will post my short report here.
Thanks!
Maciej
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)