Inserting an image onto forum/thread posts

A picture is worth a thousand words. We have created some pdfs tutorials showing common tasks.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bawldiggle
User

Inserting an image onto forum/thread posts

Post by bawldiggle »

Hope I am in the correct "place" :?

I am trying to include one image on a new thread to illustrate a problem.
So far PNG and BMP files are not allowed.
There is no "help" link (that I can find) on post-editor window
  • What file format is allowed ?
  • Maximum size, pixels? and/or bytes?
  • Any other limitations, eg, number of images per post ?
Thank you :)

-----
EDIT
-----

When I resolve this I would be more than willing to create a "How To" for this "solution" and a few others I have mastered.
Somewhere in the last 15 minutes I found a sub-forum/thread inviting submissions of "How To's" ... but now I cannot locate it.

• The concept of Tutorials/How To's is excellent
    Today over at "sevenforums.com" there are 3,231 Tutorial viewers out of 12,321 active users of the parent forum.
    26% who are helping themselves.

Could you include the URL to the "submissions forum/thread" in replies to my images questions above
Free PDF-XChange Editor since 12-Aug-2018
Free PDF-XChange Viewer for too long
... cautiously testing Editor
• Win-7 PRO 64bit | Win-7 Home 64-bit | Win-7 Home 32-bit ... fiddling with Linux Mint too
• ClassicShell GUI
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Inserting an image onto forum/thread posts

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi bawldiggle

basically to include an image in a post you have 2 options:

* attache the images in an archive. The forum will strip attachments that are not zipped (or .rar or .tar or .gzip or .7zip etc)
* Make the image available online somewhere else and post a link to it in your message then wrap that link in PhpBB "Img" tags:

Could you include the URL to the "submissions forum/thread" in replies to my images questions above
I'm not sure what this is I'm afraid. This is the first time I've heard it mentioned. I'm hoping someone else can pipe in here?
What file format is allowed ?
Maximum size, pixels? and/or bytes?
Any other limitations, eg, number of images per post ?
Any format that is renderable in a browser so PNG, GIF, JPEG - PNG is best ;-) Any size. Any number.

For images attached in archives then any format should be OK.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
bawldiggle
User

Post by bawldiggle »

Thanks Paul for your response, :)
Paul wrote:* attach the images in an archive. The forum will strip attachments that are not zipped (or .rar or .tar or .gzip or .7zip etc)
You lost me at ... in an archive ... :shock:
How did you get the image in your post ?
Do you mean ... zip image file/s > upload the zip file via [Browse] > this forum will (unzip) display image files and dump non-conforming files. ?
Paul again wrote:* Make the image available online somewhere else and post a link to it in your message then wrap that link in PhpBB "Img" tags:
Do you mean I have to upload my image files to (say) Dropbox ... and then inert dropbox url + ID inside an URL wrapper (or image wrapper)
My concern with DropBox type cloud services is that the upload has a short life (deleted by DropBox) limiting the "message of my post".

I do not have a web site

Sorry to labour the point. :? :)
• Win-7 PRO 64bit | Win-7 Home 64-bit | Win-7 Home 32-bit ... fiddling with Linux Mint too
• ClassicShell GUI
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi bawldiggle,

If you .zip the images - they will appear as a .zip archive with a link to download it in your post.

If you upload the images to an online location - then you can link them directly. Yes the time some of those services keep the files live is limited, but it should be more than enough for the needs of resolving your problem :)

Regards,
Stefan
bawldiggle
User

Post by bawldiggle »

Thanks Stefan for your patience, :)

I have worked out how to process a zip file in a dummy run in a ... Post Reply > Preview ... window
  • Packaged (PNG) image file/s into a zipped file
    • .zip file for the benefit of newbies is a composite file/folder because zipped files/folders can contain more than one file.
      I use "7-Zip" free zipping tool/program ... it creates "7z" files
  • Selected 'MyImage.PNG' file > right clicked > 7-zip > "Add to "myimage.7z"
  • saved the new zipped file to a safe folder (or desktop)
  • At bottom of "post reply" window used "Browse" to locate the new "myimage.7z"
  • In the same area clicked on "Add the file" to make the zip file available to the "Post reply" edit window
So what is the difference between "attachment" and "img" ?
My .zip file is wrapped in an "attachment"

How do I post an "img" ?
Does "img" use cloud based services ?
eg, Dropbox
In the "img" <string> "/img" construct exactly what string (including syntax) is placed at <string> ?
Path to my file on my PC ? ... OR ... dropbox-URL + package ID ?
I only use dropbox when emailing large files.

----
I use 7-Zip to zip/package file/s, most forums I use upload the image directly, no intermediate zips
Although a handful do play around in the cloud, ... I have not bothered because of the complexity

In the invitation to submit tutorials how will images "stick" in the longterm?
Or will that be processed by Tracker Software ?
• ClassicShell GUI
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi bawldiggle,

There are two separate and pretty much independent things:

Using the "Upload attachment" allows you to include any file in the archive - not only images and they will appear as attachment directly to the topic. The limit is 5MB per archive, and those attachments would be handled by the forums directly.

When using the [Img] tag - you include an image inline your post - for this you need to have your image hosted somewhere, so if you would be trying with dropbox - please see if there is some sort of "permanent link to this file" option in there. Copy that perma-link and include it in the "img" tag as Paul shows above.

As for if you make a tutorial with externally linked images - and are afraid that those might eventually be removed we will see to find a different solution.

Regards,
Stefan