New look of the Board - and how to change it

A picture is worth a thousand words. We have created some pdfs tutorials showing common tasks.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Peter 123
User

New look of the Board - and how to change it

Post by Peter 123 »

Hello,

first of all let me clarify that the following comment is not at all meant polemical and that I appreciate the friendly and excellent support we get here in this Board by all the staff (and by some ordinary members as well).

Nevertheless I must say that the new look of the Board is terrible. And with "terrible" I do not simply mean some aesthetic concerns (which are always quite subjective) but mainly the readability (and so the usability) of the Board (and its Forums). It is extremely strenuous and tiring for the eyes to look at a skin that does no longer have different colours, no letters in bold, no clear boarders/lines (between different posts or other parts which should be separated), but fonts which are too bright so that it is difficult to read them etc. etc.

I will show you an example. It is the board index, as it appears in two different styles:

a) with the new style:

b) with an alternative style (which seems to be on the whole the style as it was before the change):

No one can convince me that the new style is more pleasant for the eyes than the second one.

So I would like to raise a question (and as I mentioned above, it is not meant as provocation but based on honest interest):

Why are styles as the new one used so often in the last time? (The Tracker Board is by no means the only one. You can find a similar look in various other boards too and also in the user interface of various software.)

Is it simply a matter of fashion, an attempt to be trendy? Or does it have some clear practical reasons (for example the readability on mobile devices or something similar)? It would be really interesting to know.

And finally (as this is a "How to Forum" :wink: ) an advice for visitors like me who are not happy with the new appearance: You can avoid it (but you have to log in and you must stayed logged in order to use it):

- Click on your user name (in the upper right corner) and choose from the drop down menu "User Control Panel"
- Click on the tab "Board preferences"
- Under "Global settings" you have an option "My board style": Here you can choose an alternative style (the one in the above second picture is "prosilver").
- Then don't forget to click on "Submit".

Sorry again for my post. But until now I did not find some comment about the new look. So I decided to write it. :P
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: New look of the Board - and how to change it

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Thanks Peter123. Me too, I was not so happy with the new look.
Sometimes you have to learn to adapt and live with it.

But for now, thanks to your information, I returned to the old look.

Best regards to everyone.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the comments Peter/Willy,

your comments are noted and we are working on fine tuning and modifying/adding skins - so please bear with us whilst we adapt and modify and hopefully we can address your concerns over the coming days/weeks.

Cheers
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

:D
Wow - what an excellent appearance and what a relief for the eyes the new look of the forum is.

I like it very much as it is now. Many thanks for the changes you obviously made during the last days!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Peter,
Very Glad to hear you liked the changes, Our users opinions are very important to us, If you find any other issues with the forums, please let us know here!

Have a great day, and a happy new year!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com