Confused by this product...

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Ryan
User

Confused by this product...

Post by Ryan »

I'm confused by the relationship between PDF-XChange Editor and PDF-XChange Viewer. Can you clarify it?

Is the Editor going to replace the Viewer? Is it a separate product?

If it is a separate product, what kind of integration will there be between the two?

What I have been hoping for is one unified product that does it all rather than two products that have overlapping functions and need integration. Is that the plan? If not, is it really necessary to have to view pdfs in one program and edit them in another? That seems like a design which may have some kind of marketing advantage, but not any advantage for the user.

For many years I've dreamed of a single package that can do it all, creating, viewing, editing. There really is nothing on the market that does all of that well in a unified, clean, well organized package. I'm hoping that you are moving that direction instead of creating yet another module that has to be used separately.

Any light you can shed is welcome! Thanks!
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Confused by this product...

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ryan,

the Viewer will soon be replaced by the Editor so all the features of the Viewer will be in one application. We can't combine the Printer because it is not an application as such. It installs in with the Viewer and PDF-Tools when you use the PDF-XChange Pro bundle installer but again being a printer it isn't part of the Viewer or Editor as such.

Also we are planning on putting many of the Features of PDF-Tools into the Viewer/Editor in time also, so eventually most will end up being available in one application plus a printer. There will however always be a need for separate applications because some people don't want all the features.

I hope that clears things up somewhat. I think you'll find as things develop that this is more unified and obvious how to use.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Ryan
User

Post by Ryan »

Thanks Paul, that helps a lot!

I consider PDFX products the best third party PDF solution on the market. And, of course, in many ways it is also a huge improvement over even Acrobat itself.

IMHO, integration is one of the key things that can improve your product from here. All the parts are fantastic, but it is a bit disjointed. However, I can see you are on top of it and have picked exactly the parts I would have recommended for integration. Yes, PDF Tools is something I have hoped would be better integrated for a long time. The tools are excellent. But to have them better integrated would be even more excellent!

Keep up the fantastic work! :D
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the kinds words Ryan, much appreciated :)

We'll definitely take into account your comments and will see what can be done to accommodate.

Cheers,
Will
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Ryan
User

Post by Ryan »

Does the current version of the Editor have all the features and capabilities that the current Viewer does plus more?

Or are there some features that the Viewer has that the Editor does not have yet?

Thanks again!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Ryan,

Currently, the Editor is missing some features of the Viewer, such as the ability to customize the UI and XFA support. These are being added, build by build and by the time the Editor comes available for sale, it should have all of the features (and more) of the Viewer.

Cheers, hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Ryan
User

Post by Ryan »

Thank you again. Do you have any kind of expected time frame for when the Editor might be released for sale?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Ryan,

We're hoping to shoot for the last couple weeks of September, so keep your eye out for then!

Cheers,
Will
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)