The greatest PDF software in the world -- and why I'm...

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

The greatest PDF software in the world -- and why I'm...

Post by David.P »

...still not using it :shock:

Well, of course I'm using PDF-XChange Editor, as well as I have been using the Viewer for years already.

However, I'm still missing two crucial features in both of the above programs, which is why day after day, I find myself doing production work with Ad*be Acr*bat ONLY and every time (actually with v.7 Professional).

First, and most missing feature is the unbeatably easy and fast link creation in Acrobat, like described here:
Defining targets for internal hyperlinks

For easier reference, I have made a screencast video that shows how hyperlink creation works with Acrobat:
Link creation (and text highlighting) in Acrobat v.7
(a somewhat more detailed video tutorial that also shows link target selection directly INSIDE the document window can be found here)

Second most missing feature for me still is an improved behaviour of the text selection (and highlighting) tools, as described here:
Text-tools: extend markings (and auto-snap to word boundaries)

This issue is also shown in the above screencast video.

OK, so much for my humble feature requests -- but now for the praise part :D

I found the latest version of PDF-XChange Editor (v.3.0.305.0) to be improved in almost every respect (that I have come across in my short testing time).

To name but a few things that are much improved, or have already been truly great anyway for that matter:
  • scrolling of thumbnails and other list fields has improved greatly
  • page editing capabilites: almost like a full blown vector graphics program!
  • Text search! Simply incredible.
  • Window arrangement/customization: fantastic.
Finally, below a typical view of a 5.000 page document of mine, on a triple screen workplace setup
(click to enlarge):

To conclude:
Please keep up the fantastic work!
Best Regards David.P
Last edited by David.P on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: The greatest PDF software in the world -- and why I'm...

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi David!

Many thanks for your kind words on the new features!

And thanks for the feature requests - they are noted and passed to the dev team for inclusion in our "ToDo" list.

Regards,
Stefan