Making the switch

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Making the switch

Post by Arnold »

I finally made the switch from the Viewer to the Editor with the new build. A few things listed below that did not appear to work correctly to me after the first day. Maybe my unfamiliarity with the program. Windows XP sp3 and build 312.

The Editor did not change to the default program using either Preferences or having it check for default status on start up. I had to use Windows Explorer to make it the default program.

Something does not seem to work correctly when choosing fonts and font sizes in the Customize UI dialog. The font set for the menu & toolbars did not seem to have any effect on the menu. Overall just did not appear to be working correctly.

I set the program to minimize on clicking the close (X) button. With the program minimized this way there is no option to right click the tray icon and close the program like with the Viewer.

Would it be possible to also have a Document Properties dialog shortcut on the right click context menu? It would be a lot easier to check page size, etc. than using Ctrl D or clicking through Options in the lower left corner. I believe I read that there is no way to display page size all of the time.

I set up a scanner preset in a previous version. I shut off Despeckle because of a bug I believe is now fixed. I tried to set it back on, and could not. Deskew is still on okay. The preset uses the native scanner mode. Deskew seemed to have problems with bank checks scanned landscape onto portrait 8.5" x 11" paper.

Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: Making the switch

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I can confirm that the Customize UI does not work as it should.

I changed the Menu and Toolbar font and size to Mandala 12 point without changing the dialogue font.

The menu size changed to Segoe UI 12 point, while the Common UI font changed to Mandala (still 9pt default).

I cannot confirm the minimize to System Tray problem. When I set that option, and minimize the program, then open the tray icon popup, there is an exit option on the right-click menu.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Using the program today, I was reminded that hovering above the Options Toolbar displays the page size, which is great.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi Arnold.
The Editor did not change to the default program using either Preferences or having it check for default status on start up. I had to use Windows Explorer to make it the default program.
Confirmed. We will fix this issue in next build.
Something does not seem to work correctly when choosing fonts and font sizes in the Customize UI dialog. The font set for the menu & toolbars did not seem to have any effect on the menu. Overall just did not appear to be working correctly.
Confirmed. It will be fixed in new upcoming build.
I set the program to minimize on clicking the close (X) button. With the program minimized this way there is no option to right click the tray icon and close the program like with the Viewer.
We will check this issue.
Would it be possible to also have a Document Properties dialog shortcut on the right click context menu? It would be a lot easier to check page size, etc. than using Ctrl D or clicking through Options in the lower left corner. I believe I read that there is no way to display page size all of the time.
Using the program today, I was reminded that hovering above the Options Toolbar displays the page size, which is great.
Glad that you have a solution now. I the future it is possible to add "Document Props" into context menu..
I set up a scanner preset in a previous version. I shut off Despeckle because of a bug I believe is now fixed. I tried to set it back on, and could not. Deskew is still on okay. The preset uses the native scanner mode. Deskew seemed to have problems with bank checks scanned landscape onto portrait 8.5" x 11" paper.
We will check where is the problem. Also, can you provide step-by-step instruction how to reproduce and see the problem? Please details...

Thanks.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I created a Scanner Preset called Arnold in version 311. There was a problem with Despeckle that I found and reported. I was told to uncheck the Despeckle box until this new version came out. However if I now check the box, the preference cannot be saved (Arnold_Presets.pdf).

Similar situation with default presets such as Black & White Document. If I change the dpi to 400 and try to save it, it does not work. If I scan without using a defined preset, the program uses "Custom" preset settings, which are the last settings used to scan with. These settings can be changed and used for the next scan just fine (Default_Presets.pdf).

Maybe I do not understand how these are supposed to work.

Attached are 2 files where I scanned in a bank check with PDFX Viewer and with PDFX Editor with Deskew checked on. The Viewer scanned it correctly, the Editor did not. Seems to happen every time with a check in the Editor. Please understand that I did not move the check between scans. It was in the exact same position for both scans. The Editor is actually skewing the scan of the check, the opposite of what it is supposed to be doing. This happened in the last version also.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

The Text Properties dialog does not seem to work like other properties dialogs. If I select the typewriter "box" I can use the Typewriters Properties to change as many formats/attributes as I want to before clicking in the Editor to dismiss it. In the Viewer it works the same, and if the actual text is selected, the Text Properties box works the same way.

If I select the text itself in the Editor it does not appear to work that way. If I make a single change, the dialog box is dismissed. Each change made causes the box to go away. So it is impossible to change both the font and point size at the same time for instance. You change the font, and then have to re-open the dialog box to change the font size, etc.

With the Viewer if I used the Typewriter Tool and typed text I could then escape out of it. I might have to tap escape a couple of times, but it worked. With the Editor the box stays selected no matter how many times I tap escape. I have to click in the Editor for the box selection to end. Is this how it is supposed to work?

I mentioned this one time before. Maybe it is just me, but it seems easier to position text with the Typewriter Tool in the Viewer than in the Editor. I prefer the cursor used in the Viewer for the Typewriter Tool, so that may be it. Not going back though.

Thanks.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

The attached document 12(91) is a type of document I routinely look through and crop with the Viewer. I crop and print (to pdf) the pages I want to share with other people. Tonight I tried it with the Editor. I had 2 problems. I don't think it is on my side as the Viewer worked perfectly as it has for years.

On page 5 of the document there is a single bid listing which I cropped with the Editor. When I tried to print it to pdf, it was garbled. No problem printing from the Viewer. See Garbled_Printout.pdf.

I set up shortcuts in the Editor to rotate pages just as I have them in the Viewer. I have used these shortcuts for years in the Viewer. On the same document 12(91) and another one I looked at, rotating the pages did not seem to work correctly in the Editor. Using Ctrl-Shift-Right simply moved me down the document, and then finally rotated the last page once it reached that point. In the other document I could not figure out any logic to what the Editor was doing. Worked perfectly in the Viewer. See Rotate_Shortcuts.pdf.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Further Observations - Previous Posts

The print problem noted in my post seems to be a one time aberration (Garbled_Printout.pdf).

I placed the commands I use the shortcut keys Ctrl-Shift-Left & Right for on a toolbar and they work fine in the Editor. I could not find where the shortcuts are duplicated, and I get no warning saying they are. Don't know what the problem is (Rotate_Shortcuts.pdf).

The behavior I noted for the Text Properties dialog seems to be when it is on the same line as other dialog boxes. If it occupies a line by itself, it acts differently as noted in Appenzeller's post in "New Paste Behaviour" - After clicking the down arrow, the list blinks only... Definitely something wrong there either way.

I could not find a shortcut for Save Optimized Copy so I could add it to a toolbar.

I found a shortcut for the Document Properties dialog and added it to a toolbar. Excellent.

I think the Link tool would be a supremely powerful tool if it could work with the Select Text Tool. Right now it seems to deselect the text and then make you manually draw a box around it.

Thanks
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

More problems

I had more printing problems with the Editor. I have a pdf file with a lot of form fields that have to be filled in. It is 466,000 bytes and has 30 fonts. Before sending it out I have always reprinted it, to reduce size and also to lock in the information in the form fields. Often I use the Grayscale option.

Printing from the Viewer reduces the size to 241,000 bytes and everything looks okay and prints to paper okay if I need to do that. Number of fonts is listed as 6. See attached.

Printing from the Editor produces a file that is only 142,000 bytes. It looks okay, but does not print to paper okay. Fonts are listed as 12, and there are some funny font names listed. See attached.

Windows XP sp3. Brother MFC-295CN ink jet printer. Never had a problem doing this with the Viewer. Maybe you guys can tell me what those fonts are, and what might be happening.

Much as I don't want to, I am switching the default back to the Viewer. I cannot afford to be producing documents that could cause me problems down the line.

Is there a reason Print to Grayscale is now buried so deep in the menus? I use that fairly often and it is convenient to use in the Viewer.

Thanks.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Can you please send us the document your are printing? And also, please check "Text Rendering Mode" options (it is available when you press the "More..." button on the print dialog).

The viewer has a similar option called "Print Text as Curves".
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Here is a "sanitized" version of the document I was printing from. In the Viewer the setting was print text as curves "For Embedded Fonts" and the Editor was set to "Auto" I believe.

Please look through the other posts in this thread. The other posts deal with other problems I found. For instance the Text Properties dialog problem which had been noticed by someone else also.

Thank youfor checking this out.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Please set "Text Rendering Mode" option to "Outline for Embedded Fonts" value and you will have the same result as in case of the Viewer.

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Hi, Arnold.
Fixed. Look for new build after couple hours.
Confirmed. Fixed in new build.

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

If I select the text itself in the Editor it does not appear to work that way. If I make a single change, the dialog box is dismissed. Each change made causes the box to go away. So it is impossible to change both the font and point size at the same time for instance. You change the font, and then have to re-open the dialog box to change the font size, etc.
Can you please let me know (screenshot would be ok) where you have found a dialog box to change text properties in the Editor?

Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Here are the screenshots for the Text Properties.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

It occurs because is no enough space to show whole properties bar in your custom toolbars layout. Please move the properties bar to new bottom line - it will solve your problem.

HTH.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Vasyl please see attached.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Ivan I changed the print settings in the Editor to match the Viewer, and that seems to have solved that problem. See attached.

Right after that I received a file to look at. It is 66 pages long and 11.95 megabytes. This file can be printed (slowly) by the Viewer but not by the Editor. I tried printing as images, and it still did not print.

I would like to send this file to you for you to look at. I don't want to post it to the website for privacy reasons, and I think it would be too big to even try. I hate this as I want to move to the Editor and not look back.

Thanks.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold - we have no receive limits in email so please do email to support@pdf-xchange.com with a link back to this post for reference and for the 'Attention' of Ivan and we will look at ASAP

Many thanks.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

John I believe there is something wrong with the file itself. It printed funny with a few different printer drivers and one created a pdf 10x the original size! With as much as you guys have going on, it might not be worth spending time on.

If you guys get a chance take a look at my last post in this thread concerning scanner presets and the Deskew feature. I think there may be something there.

Thanks.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Arnold - appreciate the comments about the file mentioned and unless it appears again and is specific to our products - will let this rest ...

In regards your other post - I will ask our dev guys to take a look, please note I have created a new topic thread here regarding your scanning pre-sets issue;

https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 62&t=23205

I do see Vasyl asked for more info on the steps required to recreate etc - so any additional info you may have should be posted on the new thread - thanks.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Hi Arnold.
Arnold wrote:Vasyl please see attached.

Attachments:
Text_Properties_2.pdf
Understood. We will fix it in the near future...

Thanks for report.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer