Snapshot Quality

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

freekey
User

Snapshot Quality

Post by freekey »

I have tested to copy a snapshot from one file to another and it turns out a bit blur. This is when the zoom display is at 100% for both.

Then I tried changing the zoom level to 200% for both and try another snapshot. Only it will turns fine.

Please investigate this.

Thank you.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Snapshot Quality

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello freekey,

Please open the Editor and go to Edit -> Preferences -> Snapshot Tool,
You can control the DPI of the image taken - and increase it if you need a sharper/higher res shanpshot.

Regards,
Stefan
Mathew
User

Post by Mathew »

Hi Stefan,
I have a couple of feature requests:
1. Would it be possible to right click the snapshot tool to change the dpi settings for the snapshot? I find I'm constantly changing it and going thru preferences is a bit of a pain.
2. Also: Is editor planning to be able to do vector snapshots? Currently, the functionality is almost there, but it requires that I print a snapshot area to a pdf, then add that as a stamp and place the stamp. Works well, but, again, rather round about.
- Mathew.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Mathew,

Thanks for the post and suggestions, I'll address each in turn:
1. Would it be possible to right click the snapshot tool to change the dpi settings for the snapshot? I find I'm constantly changing it and going thru preferences is a bit of a pain.
I'll place a feature request for this, for consideration in a future release, but please be warned that it may not be possible due to the implementation of the Editor's UI.
2. Also: Is editor planning to be able to do vector snapshots? Currently, the functionality is almost there, but it requires that I print a snapshot area to a pdf, then add that as a stamp and place the stamp. Works well, but, again, rather round about.
Please be aware that the creation of stamps does not automatically vectorize images - if a raster image is used, then the stamp will only contain raster data.

The creation of vector images is extremely complex and requires the implementation of very lengthy, complex algorimths. This is why there are entire applications dedicated solely to the creation of vector images and normally this is not done through an automatic process, but requires some user input to defines certain points within the vector. Adobe Illustrator is an example of one such application.

I'm afraid that this goes a little beyond the scope of what a PDF Editor is designed to achieve and is not something that we are likely to commit to, at this time.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Mathew
User

Post by Mathew »

Understood. Just one comment:
Please be aware that the creation of stamps does not automatically vectorize images - if a raster image is used, then the stamp will only contain raster data.
I agree absolutely, but I do happen to work with quite a few vector images (CAD files), so it's convenient to get a vector overlay from one drawing for another when I'm working on markups. The process I outlined above (print a selected area with pdf-Xchange printer, then make a new (temporary) stamp from that file, then insert the stamp) works very well. If I try to make the stamp from the clipboard, then I only get a raster stamp, so that shortcut doesn't work.

All I was suggesting was that because the ability to make and insert a vector stamp (from a vector pdf) is currently there already, the automation of those steps would work well as a "vector snapshot".
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Mathew,

Apologies, I wasn't previously aware that was the case. I suspect that this is because the data is copied to clipboard in several formats and that we're choosing the use the raster data. I'll pass this along to the development team, but in the meantime, the best suggestion that I can make is to paste the vector data into a program meant to work with vector images (i.e. Adobe Illustrator), create a PDF of that vector image file and use that PDF to create the stamp.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
magrem
User

Post by magrem »

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello magrem,

Welcome to our forums and thanks for sharing this link.
I think it's a but far fetched - as it relates to a software that can natively work with vector objects, and the article tells how to force it to generate a PDF file using the already existing vector data, rather than rasterizing it first. While with the snapshot tool - you can not know what is below, and you have to create a raster image - so the only way to improve that is to increase the DPI.