Won't this ever have a proper fullscreen mode?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

avada
User

Won't this ever have a proper fullscreen mode?

Post by avada »

It's such a cardinal feature, that was always in PDF-XV, but is missing for years now.
All we get is that lame presentation mode which changes the view parameters for the document.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Won't this ever have a proper fullscreen mode?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello avada,

Thanks for your post. Indeed the full screen mode in the Editor is different than the one we had in the Viewer, and we are working on improving that. I will bring your comments to the attention of our devs on our next meeting so that we can reevaluate the priority of this particular feature.

Regards,
Stefan
avada
User

Post by avada »

Cool.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

:-)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Jobijobah
User

Post by Jobijobah »

Hello Dear Dev Team,

Could You P-leaaaase provide a FULL SCREEN HORIZONTAL SCROLLING viewing possibility?

Also, two very longtime needed features that users have been longing for:

-- SMOooooth zooming and Scrolling (no hiccups, no steps, with a light acceleration/deceleration effect (not unlike in prezi presentations).

-- A multipage mode (for the vertical scrolling mode) with more than two pages width), especially when you think of the recent ultra-wide 21:9 monitor craze.

(that last feature can be palliated by printing a multipage of the pdf into one huge pdf, and scrolling/zooming at will inside it, but still quite tedious)

I'll assure you that you'll make so many already happy users of PDF -Xchange pretty much ecstatic.

###*** thank you ***###
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Jobijobah,

Regarding the smooth zoom - it looks cool, but might be problematic - as we need to rerender the pages at each zoom level, so for a heavy file - you will be smooth zooming in/out a blank page and the content will manage to render only after you've stopped zooming. Also I've not seen this feature offered by any other PDF software - so it might not be very practical or even easy to implement.

For the multi page full screen - let's keep the discussion in the other topic (the one where I offered the thumbnails pane as a workaround for now).

Regards,
Stefan
avada
User

Post by avada »

So what became of this? Forgotten?

It's been two years and there's still no fully functional fullscreen mode that one expects from a PDF viewer. Can't configure default view (or to keep the view), nor the visibility of the scrollbar and such.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Avada,

We've introduced some changes to how the Editor behaves when changing the zoom level (the screen is no longer completely white), so I will bring this up to the attention of the correct people, and see if we can implement some of the features discussed above now.

Regards,
Stefan
avada
User

Post by avada »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello Avada,

We've introduced some changes to how the Editor behaves when changing the zoom level (the screen is no longer completely white), so I will bring this up to the attention of the correct people, and see if we can implement some of the features discussed above now.

Regards,
Stefan
Thanks. Hopefully this time something will come out of it.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello All,

Just finished my meeting with the devs.
A couple builds ago we introduced a feature in the Editor that will keep the currently rendered image visible while zooming in/out, and until the new zoom level has rendered fully, effectively making smooth zooming in/out on touch devices working.

Regards,
Stefan
avada
User

Post by avada »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello All,

Just finished my meeting with the devs.
A couple builds ago we introduced a feature in the Editor that will keep the currently rendered image visible while zooming in/out, and until the new zoom level has rendered fully, effectively making smooth zooming in/out on touch devices working.

Regards,
Stefan
Okay... I don't see any relevance to the fullscreen mode features that are lacking though...
(Are you sure you meant this to this topic?)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello avada,

The issue with smooth zooming was also discussed above, so yes I do believe my post is in the correct topic.
Apologies - seems like I overlooked the issue with ribbon layout in full screen mode. I will bring it up the next time and then post here again.

Regards,
Stefan
avada
User

Post by avada »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello avada,

The issue with smooth zooming was also discussed above, so yes I do believe my post is in the correct topic.
Apologies - seems like I overlooked the issue with ribbon layout in full screen mode. I will bring it up the next time and then post here again.

Regards,
Stefan
Ah. Okay. Well, I was talking about view mode, scrollbar configurations and such.
Also, it would be nice if advanced search wouldn't cancel full screen mode.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks Avada,

I will also discuss those things, but given that the current Full screen mode is quite different than how the Viewer worked - some of these might not be possible :(

Regards,
Stefan
avada
User

Post by avada »

The lack of proper full screen mode is such a nuisance. Every time I enter I have to set the view to double page and show cover page via hotkeys because of course it becomes inverted.
Of course advance search cancels fullscreen mode, so I need to re-set everything after I used it.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Avada,

While I understand that this is a frustration for you, it works for 99% of our userbase and we have other, far more pressing bugs and features that require our attention.

As Stefan mentioned, due to the changes made to fullscreen mode, from Viewer to Editor, a lot of these requests are only possible with a fairly large overhaul. The current focus of the developer that would be doing this is on the ribbon toolbar and various other implementations and fixes, so we cannot yet spare the time and we focus on the 'needs of the many' over the 'needs of the few'.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
peedee_5
User

Post by peedee_5 »

Hello Will & the Team,

Thanks for engaging in this conversation. It's refreshing to know that this forum is "alive and kicking" :-).

I'm writing this reply to let you know that there are more people out there who are unhappy and frustrated with the fact that after the much anticipated, although still slightly anticlimactic in my opinion, switch from Viewer to Editor, certain functionalities have been lost - forever, it appears. The previous implementation of the Full Screen Mode was true perfection, at least in my eyes. As I am using the Editor as a PDF reader/viewer most of the time, I now find myself not using the Full Screen Mode at all as it doesn't provide the smooth reading experience it used to. Fiddling with keyboard shortcuts is some way-out but it's cumbersome.

@Avada: You're not alone.

I'm looking forward to seeing a proper Full Screen Mode (literally, I read every Change Log you release looking for updates to this functionality).

Kind regards,
peedee_5
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Peedee_5,

Thanks for adding your voice - that's appreciated. We always like to hear feedback and the more users that request something, the more seriously is it's obviously taken. I'll make note to bring this up and will se what can be done.

For others browsing this topic, please do pitch in and add your voice if you feel the same way!

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
avada
User

Post by avada »

peedee_5 wrote: @Avada: You're not alone.

I'm looking forward to seeing a proper Full Screen Mode (literally, I read every Change Log you release looking for updates to this functionality).
I did that too. Though I stopped hoping, so now I just check every once in a while if there's any useful feature added.

It's a shame really. Because otherwise PDFXE has many properties to distinguish itself. Such as the sophisticated advanced search.
Also it's baffling, because compared for example to the aforementioned feature fullscreen is just trivial. It mainly needs to retian the view parameters, maybe allow customization of them.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Avada,

Appreciate your feedback!
The current full screen implementation has some limitations that are a bit hard to go round, but we do hear your concerns, and as Will said - will have this up for discussion with the devs on our next meeting.

Regards.
Stefan
jylez
User

Post by jylez »

Hi,

I also have issue with full screen mode in editor. The full screen mode in viewer is much better. Sadly, the product has been discontinued.
Also, In the editor full screen mode is it possible to add custom toolbar especially comments and markup for highlighting. It is very much possible to do it in viewer.

One more thing, in the comments and markup toolbar is it possible to see additional highlighter color for quick access instead of first clicking on the defaut yellow and then selecting the one you want.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

jylez wrote:Sadly, the product has been discontinued.
Discontinued Products are still available to download.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

How do I quickly access variations of a specific Tool?
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... cific-Tool
avada
User

Post by avada »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
That won't help with the Viewer's bugs that won't get fixed and the lack of subpixel AA, which makes it suck for it's main purpose, viewing documents.
jylez
User

Post by jylez »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:How do I quickly access variations of a specific Tool?
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... cific-Tool
Thank you.
jylez
User

Post by jylez »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
viewer has awful screen resolution on higher resolution windows 10 devices. although editor is a bit better this applies to editor as well.
now i cannot expect this to improve in viewer.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello jylez,

Yes it is almost certain that the viewer will not get any visual improvements and changes, so a switch to the Editor is recommended.
We are working on a Ribbon interface for the Editor which should scale better on larger DPI screens.

Regards,
Stefan
JimmyD
User

Post by JimmyD »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:We are working on a Ribbon interface for the Editor which should scale better on larger DPI screens.
I'm very glad to hear that PDFX will get a Ribbon interface, I'm really looking forward to this. I always recommend PDFX to people for its features, but many won't give it a chance due to the current UI.

Do you have any ETA on when we can expect this?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello JimmyD,

This is the current feature we are working on - so it will be one of the next couple main builds (not the .x ones that are usually to fix a recently discovered bug), but I still do not have a specific release date for that.

Regards,
Stefan
avada
User

Post by avada »

JimmyD wrote:
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:We are working on a Ribbon interface for the Editor which should scale better on larger DPI screens.
I'm very glad to hear that PDFX will get a Ribbon interface, I'm really looking forward to this. I always recommend PDFX to people for its features, but many won't give it a chance due to the current UI.

Do you have any ETA on when we can expect this?
On the other hand ribbon interfaces make me want to vomit. As such I hope that the normal UI will remain. One of the main reasons I stopped using Foxit was the ribbon garbage.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Avada,

Yes - the current layout will also remain available - and you will be able to switch between the two!

Cheers,
Stefan
JimmyD
User

Post by JimmyD »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Yes - the current layout will also remain available - and you will be able to switch between the two!
Will the Ribbon have a collapse mode, so that it auto-unhides when you click on the menu, and auto-unhides when you click away?
I would also like a minimalistic read mode, with an auto-hide/unhide status bar or HUD and auto-hide/unhide menu bar. Right now, I'm forced to toggle F8 to see the status bar, which is sadly also linked the toolbar. And I'm forced to toggle F9 for the menus.

I would also prefer that the new UI itself will have a way to make it appear flat, angular and minimalistic, which would make it fit in better with the Windows theme.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your post. I've forwarded your points to our dev team who have come back with the following:
We will try to satisfy this user in the near future :)

1. The "Auto-hide/show Ribbon" feature will be added because its standard ribbon-feature
2. More Flat UI - we will think about it too
3. Read-Mode - I guess it might be added a bit later, after Ribbon implementation
Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Peter 123
User

Post by Peter 123 »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Yes - the current layout will also remain available - and you will be able to switch between the two!
I just wanted to say already in advance a big thank you for this solution. :D
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
JimmyD
User

Post by JimmyD »

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your post. I've forwarded your points to our dev team who have come back with the following:
We will try to satisfy this user in the near future :)

1. The "Auto-hide/show Ribbon" feature will be added because its standard ribbon-feature
2. More Flat UI - we will think about it too
3. Read-Mode - I guess it might be added a bit later, after Ribbon implementation
Cheers!
Many thanks for taking this into consideration.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

No worries Jummy :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)