About the 'New Window' function

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kongyiu9998
User

About the 'New Window' function

Post by kongyiu9998 »

Hi,

When I read ebooks on XChange editor, I usually have to refer to pages which are distant from the current page. The spliting function not only shrinks the screen size. It also don't allow fast reference to more than 2 pages. The 'New Window' function is a good solution but it can't be used. Why is it that?

Thanks for your help.
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: About the 'New Window' function

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello kongyiu9998,

New window is a place-holder for a function that has not been implemented yet and cannot be used for now.
If you would like to open one of the already opened documents in your Editor in a new window, just drag its tab and drop it on the location you would like to place the new window.

You can also force the Editor to open every new document in a new window instead of a new tab.
You can do this from Edit -> Preferences -> Documents. Click the Setup button located in the Tabs and Windows section and enable the 'Open each new document in new window' option (see the attached screenshot).

Regards,
Radi
Attachments
New Window.zip
(174.77 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
kongyiu9998
User

Post by kongyiu9998 »

Thanks for your reply. But I think neither of the two suggestions can be better alternatives for the 'spliting' function. Do you have any estimated date when the 'New Window' can be used? This function is really important to those who read ebooks and make plenty of notes and reference on ebooks.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello kongyiu9998,

We already do have a Split feature (also in the Window menu), that will allow you to see two independent sections of the same file at the same time. This feature is already there and implemented.
The "New Window" feature will simply open a new Editor window without any files in it, and you can then add documents there. As Radi said - this is not yet implemented, but the workaround is to just open two or more files in the first Editor instance, and then just drag the tab for one of those files out - and a new Editor window will be created for you.

Regards,
Stefan
kongyiu9998
User

Post by kongyiu9998 »

Thanks for your reply. As I learnt from Adobe reader and MS word, if I click the 'New Window' button one time, a new duplicate will be created. By clicking it more than 2 times, I can get more than 2 duplicates of the same file. The duplicates can show different pages. I can navigate to different pages by just clicking different tabs instead of scrolling through the document (which is tedious if I want to read and edit, for example, pp.2, pp.30, pp.102, pp.1030, pp.2000, pp.3000..... BACK AND FORTH....) I can't do it simply with the 'spliting' function which only create one duplicate of the same document. The 'New Window' button should not just allow user to open a blank window.
Thank you very much for your help!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByWgH ... 0ZwZlhJb2s :P :P
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi kongyiu9998,

Thanks for the info. - I'm afraid that this cannot currently be done, but I'll create a feature request for consideration.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
kongyiu9998
User

Post by kongyiu9998 »

ok, thank you very much!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
Adrenoreceptor
User

Post by Adrenoreceptor »

Thank you!

I dont read ebooks, but I do have to refer to different pages of contract construction drawings. I have two relatively large screens so it is helpful to be able to see two pages of a document side by side in full screen or at least large size at the same time.

Stephan just made my day. I grabbed a tab, drug it off to my desktop and BAM! A brand new window with that tab opened! I print individual pages of a document in order to be able to see them like that side by side, full window.

It would be nice to open a specific page in a new window without the procedure of printing that page to pdf then opening it up, but for now, this is helpful.

Now I need to research how much the license is to use PDF-Xchange for printing pdfs without the watermark. But if it cant retro install on to XP, it may not be of much use to me yet as the CAD program I use most is running on Virtual XP on a Windows 7 machine. I need to print pdf from XP most importantly, and Windows 7 less importantly. It's just that I prefer the CAD version that wont run on 7. I'm more productive with it.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Adrenoreceptor,

Glad to hear that helped!

Best email Sales or support@pdf-xchange.com directly and advise on the specifics of what you'll need to do. We can then advise on the best license for you and the price, rather than changing the subject of the OP's post.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
lev
User

Post by lev »

Instead of printing you could just use Extract Pages command (Document->Extract Pages). Set Page Range to All and Output Options to Extract all pages to a new document.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for the hint Lev!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)