preload , prrender, precache full pdf setting?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

immo2014
User

Post by immo2014 »

When I read a magazine on my screen I expect instant switching pages else its very unpleasant to read.

How can I when I open a magazine/newspaper pdf with about max 150 pages make it preload, prerneder, cache all pages so after all its done I have instant switching times
my specs are I am on a 2560x1440 display with 96gb ram and 16(32) cores
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: preload , prrender, precache full pdf setting?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello immo2014,

Is the file you are trying to open a download version of the magazine, or one that is prepared to go to printing?
I presume it's the latter option - as on your machine only print ready files should show any delay in rendering.
Unfortunately there is no such option to "prerender all" pages of the file, as this could cause quite some troubles for most users and with very long files (you never know when you could get a 2000 page specification e-mailed to you, - which while e.g. a few MB as file size could generate gigabytes of temp files if we try to render all the pages and store them).

How long is the transition time for you? If there are any files that you can share - can you please do so with even a few page document, so that we can run some tests on it?

Regards,
Stefan
immo2014
User

Post by immo2014 »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello immo2014,

Is the file you are trying to open a download version of the magazine, or one that is prepared to go to printing?
I presume it's the latter option - as on your machine only print ready files should show any delay in rendering.
Unfortunately there is no such option to "prerender all" pages of the file, as this could cause quite some troubles for most users and with very long files (you never know when you could get a 2000 page specification e-mailed to you, - which while e.g. a few MB as file size could generate gigabytes of temp files if we try to render all the pages and store them).

How long is the transition time for you? If there are any files that you can share - can you please do so with even a few page document, so that we can run some tests on it?

Regards,
Stefan
Hi Stefan,
pls give me a mail so I can send you a sample PDF magazine/newspaper. Its for reading and some pages take 20s to render
flip times are to high and by far not instant

and ofcourse all this advanced preload etc should be an option only so for people who dont want that dont use that
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi immo2014,

The best address to send it to is support@pdf-xchange.com.
and ofcourse all this advanced preload etc should be an option only so for people who dont want that dont use that
I'll speak with the Dev. Team to see if an option can be added, but please be aware that this will likely result in significantly longer opening & rendering times, especially for documents such as those you're working with.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
immo2014
User

Post by immo2014 »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi immo2014,

The best address to send it to is support@pdf-xchange.com.
I'll speak with the Dev. Team to see if an option can be added, but please be aware that this will likely result in significantly longer opening & rendering times, especially for documents such as those you're working with.

Cheers,
Hi Will,

as most modern PC has 8+ logical cores (mine has 32) it makes sense to render the pages in background so when you open a magazine pdf and you check the first page about content it should start in background to render/precache the following pages
I sent you 2 sample magazines and you can see that reading these with xpdf ist not real fun.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for those - We'll pass them along to see if anything can be done for a future release.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello immo2014,

I passed your files to a colleague from the dev team, and he asked me to make a ticket in our internal system for those:
#3714: Editor 318.1: Slow rendering of page with more than 3000 images

Page 12 of the 20161024-Handelsblatt.pdf file has 3000+ images on it, so we need to see how to improve the rendering speed for that, as our (older and no longer developed) Viewer handles that page much faster.

As for the pre-rendering of following pages - I will bring it up on the next meeting and see where we stand for such a feature.

Regards,
Stefan
mozillafi
User

Post by mozillafi »

Please add precache next page, it's a pain to wait 0.5s each page to view the page. i'm returning to adobe reader, at least abode reader precache the next few pages, so no wait for turning page.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello mozillafi,

I didn't create a ticket for this, as it's already being considered. We will add such a preloading as soon as technically possible! Though it will likely be off by default and will have to be turned on from the preferences window.

Regards,
Stefan
mozillafi
User

Post by mozillafi »

Hello,

The new version is out 6.0.319.0, is the feature implemented? I can't find it in settings.

Thanks
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi mozillafi,

It doesn't appear that this has been added yet. I can't confirm the build that the Devs. plan to implement this just yet, but hopefully within the next build or two.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
David.P
User

Re: preload, prerender, precache full pdf setting?

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

just for the record, and for completeness of information:
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:#3714: Editor 318.1: Slow rendering of page with more than 3000 images

Page 12 of the 20161024-Handelsblatt.pdf file has 3000+ images on it, so we need to see how to improve the rendering speed for that, as our (older and no longer developed) Viewer handles that page much faster.
The above probably is related to this thread's topic and findings:
Slow image loads since build 312

With respect to the "preload, prerender, precache full pdf setting" feature request by immo2014; +1 for this request from my side. There is a related discussion here:
Preload pages in PDF XChange Viewer

Cheers
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the clarification David!

Cheers,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

You are welcome, Stefan.
Cheers
David
:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

:D
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
rillig
User

Post by rillig »

What are the current plans on developing the prerender feature? I'd like to have it since the file https://archive.org/download/manysidedf ... rduoft.pdf renders quite slow (2 seconds per page), which is uncomfortable when prooflistening an audio recording in real-time.
mozillafi
User

Post by mozillafi »

Still not available in 320.1 :(
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello,

I have asked for an update on this ticket. I will post back here when I hear back from the dev team.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Count me in on wanting this feature. Caching a whole file is impractical, but pre-rendering one or more following pages makes a lot of sense.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for adding your voice here Timur,

It certainly can be a useful feature! As soon as we have any further news - we will post back here in the forums as well.

Cheers,
Stefan
David.P
User

Re: preload, prerender, precache full pdf setting?

Post by David.P »

rillig wrote:What are the current plans on developing the prerender feature? I'd like to have it since the file https://archive.org/download/manysidedf ... rduoft.pdf renders quite slow (2 seconds per page), which is uncomfortable when prooflistening an audio recording in real-time.
I agree that the lack of prerendering is particularly noticeable on this example file.

For some reason, I actually thought that PDF-XChange Editor did already prerender one page ahead (and one page back) from the current page. But as can be seen from that scanned book linked by @rillig, this is not the case.

Strangely, not even PDF-XChange Viewer (v2.5 build 320) seems to pre-render one page ahead (anymore?), other than stated here by Paul.

Best regards
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I remember that in the past I did some tests with various PDF readers to find out whether they pre-render or not. But I cannot remember the results anymore. :roll:

Acrobat Reader DC seems to pre-render. I am not sure how many pages, but it seems like it pre-renders 6 or 7 pages in advance. This may be connected to how fast you flip pages (or how long you stay on one to read). Editor doesn't even seem to pre-render pages when continuous mode is used and part of the next page is already visible.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Guys,

We actually already have a FR ticket on this:
#2267: FR: Re: Preload pages in PDF XChange Editor
And I have just updated it with a link to this forum topic and brought it up higher up the queue so that it can be considered again!

Cheers,
Stefan
mikeylucky
User

Post by mikeylucky »

I sincerely wish PDF-XChange Editor could automatic preload of the next 6~10 pages.
otherwise currently its performance is really bad if I fast scroll the pages with a lot of pictures in it.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello mikeylucky,

Thanks for adding your voice here.
The ticket is still open but I am afraid that there's still no estimate as to when this feature will be implemented.

Regards,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

I do not know if it can help someone, and how strictly PDF-XChange Editor is making a difference between "large" images and let's say "normal" images, but in times where PC's were not yet as performant as they do now, an option was (and still is) available for "Display large images", yes or no.

If the (large) pictures in the PDF are less important for the reader than the text itself, people can still consider to turn OFF the display of large images, via the Edit-menu > Preferences > Page Display. Take care, this is a general application setting, not a "per document" setting.

Best regards.

N.B.: myself I did not succeed to NOT display images in PDFs after un-check of the indicated option.
I do not know how PDF-XChange Editor exactly works, calculates or makes its decision for this.
Last edited by Willy Van Nuffel on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

I touched base with the Editor development team leader today regards this. I can confirm that some of the required work has been done, however the priority on this has not, to date, been set as high. We will likely discuss this in a meeting this week. That priority may be raised, but as of right now I cannot make any promises.

We should have something more concrete later in the week.

hth

Paul
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi All,

Just an update to let you know that
#3714: Editor 318.1: Slow rendering of page with more than 3000 images
Is now set to resolved.

Cheers,
Stefan
mozillafi
User

Post by mozillafi »

Still not done in version 7.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello mozillafi,

The ticket from my above post has been resolved since last summer.
Or are you still experiencing this problem now with the latest V7 builds?

Regards,
Stefan
mozillafi
User

Post by mozillafi »

Dear Stefan, I'm talking about pre-rendering next page in memory. It's still not done in version 7. thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello mozillafi,

Yes - the feature is not yet in as we've been working on some other tasks.
We still do have this one in mind, though I don't have a specific date yet for when it might be available.

Regards,
Stefan
mozillafi
User

Post by mozillafi »

It's nearly a year now, i'm still waiting for the feature. Any updates please?
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

More like several years. What you can do is to manually increase the cache size of Editor and then keep the right arrow pressed on your keyboard. This will (pre)render all pages into the cache. Unfortunately this cache is not saved to disk, not even as an option, so you have to do it all over again once you close Editor.
mozillafi
User

Post by mozillafi »

Yes, it's still a pain to do so... I just don't understand why it's that difficult to put an option for that...
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello all,

I can understand your desire for this feature, but unfortunately while it's simple to explain - a proper implementation will require quite some man hours.
This is still in our ToDo list - but nothing specific as a date can be provided for now.

Regards,
Stefan
Display
User

Post by Display »

A few more years have passed, just wondering if version 10 is likely to get preloading?

I was thinking about updating my maintenance plan for the next couple of years (PDF-XChange Editor already does everything I need!) so I'm only really interested in quicker viewing with pre-rendered pages
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Display

At this moment, I cant really give a solid affirmation for or against it. We are working on it, but it is one of those "when it is ready" items, that could take a very long time to complete.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

No news on this, maybe for v11?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Timur Born

I am afraid pre-rendering is not a priority at this time. We have improved our overall rendering speeds to the point where such complex changes would be negligible unless the file is notably overcomplicated (which is both a fairly rare case, and if an entire document is that complex, trying to pre-render all pages would lead to other delays in functionality until it is complete).

When our small dev team has the time to dedicate to a large project like this, we may see some change, until then, our focus is on other items that have more notable impact on the applications more common uses.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Doesn't other software pre-render just a number of pages ahead (last direction of reading).
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, Timur Born

Yes, preloading one or two pages ahead would negate a few of the use case complications, but it would still be just as complex on our end to implement, and the situations where these issues appear is still infrequent.
My previous example however, was specifically considering the title of this thread (being "[...]full document"), so I was imagining a case where you have a file with 10-500 pages, and nearly all of those pages are complex enough that you see some notable delay on each page when scrolling through the file normally.

As before, this is still in a "it will be here, when it is ready" state. It ha not been expressly rejected, it is just not as high priority as many other tasks.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

A full document pre-rendering - or rather background rendering after opening - would have its uses for sure. Like faster initial searches.

Personally I am still a big friend of having a prerender cache file on disk/SSD, similar to GPU shader caches of games. Some PDF files *never* change, so rendering it once only would make sense. But I already got the counter-argument of not wanting to waste (cheap) disk-space even if it would improve (expensive) CPU processing times. At this point we know that neither the background rendering nor the caching will happen.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Timur Born,

Not for now, though it is a feature we are considering!

Kind regards,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Thanks. This surprises me. In the past there has always been the determined stance that this would waste user HDD/SDD space!?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)