The gaps betweent the two pages blinking when dragging.

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

roadtodream
User

The gaps betweent the two pages blinking when dragging.

Post by roadtodream »

The gap is blinking when i am dragging the file, it seems like the gap length is not fixed or the position of the bottom line of the page is not correctly rendered. No matter if i toggle the gap or not. I'd like to add a screen record but the web does not allow me to do so. So i upload it to the youtube and wish you can watch it. Thank you.
Here is the video address:
https://youtu.be/EgYvVczxryI
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: The gaps betweent the two pages blinking when dragging.

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi

thanks for the pst.

You can try reducing the complexity of the background. Edit --> Preferences --> Customize UI --> Backgrounds

Set the Style to solid, uncheck "Show Overlay Shadows" and check "Turn off all textured backgrounds..." as per this screenshot:

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
roadtodream
User

Post by roadtodream »

I have tried this but it does not help. The problem occurred again. But finally I find I can bear it. Hahahah glad to be so.
And thank you !
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello roadtodream,

I've spoken with a colleague in the dev team, and we have passed it to another colleague in the Canadian office to look at, as there should be something we can do about this.

Regards,
Stefan
roadtodream
User

Post by roadtodream »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello roadtodream,

I've spoken with a colleague in the dev team, and we have passed it to another colleague in the Canadian office to look at, as there should be something we can do about this.

Regards,
Stefan
Apologize for bothering you and thank you!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi roadtodream.
The gap is blinking when i am dragging the file, it seems like the gap length is not fixed or the position of the bottom line of the page is not correctly rendered. No matter if i toggle the gap or not.
We were able to reproduce that issue and will try to fix it the future. Thanks for your video.

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I appreciate that GPU accelerated drawing is on the agenda!

That being said, Acrobat has more flaws than benefits where it comes to scrolling, and this is directly connected to your perceived memory consumption, too.

Ideally Acrobat uses GPU acceleration for scrolling, which is measurable as higher GPU load. At the same time Acrobat does not use less CPU load than Editor, but more. Furthermore the very reason why you measure less memory load for Acrobat is that it does not cache pages when smooth scrolling (middle mouse button) is used! This is the reason why you keep seeing it getting all choppy when you scroll over that technical drawing in your video. You can also measure CPU load going through the roof at this point, while GPU load decreases.

Editor does cache pages during smooth scrolling (middle mouse button), it builds up pages faster using less CPU load and if you disable synchronous rendering it prioritizes scrolling over rendering content. So overall Editor is providing a better scrolling experience for large and more complex (more images) files, even when its scrolling routines seem less smooth in fluid motion.

PS: What does "Auto" do for the rendering setting? It seems to behave the same as using "On" for synchronous rendering!?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Timur,

Many thanks for your thorough investigation and comments!

I am checking with the devs what the Auto option does, but as you noticed - most likely it is equivalent to ON.

Regards,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I think that the best use for the "Auto" option would be to use synchronous rendering for slow scrolling, while switching to asynchronous rendering for fast scrolling (or quickly flipping pages via keyboard).
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Timur,

Deciding programmatically what is "slow" and "fast" scrolling might be a bit tricky ;) but I do thank you for this suggestion. I will have a chat with a colleague from the dev team about it, and see what we can do!

Regards,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

If scrolling is bottlenecked by synchronous rendering, aka the pages are rendered slower than the scrolling speed needed to, then you got "fast" scrolling. ;)

BTW, is it possible that the gaps are blinking because of the shadow under each page? Is there an option to turn off the shadow?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Timur,

That may be a little over-simplified :wink: - Programmatically, things are rarely as simple as they may seem and I suspect that this is actually quite difficult. I'll pass this along, but can't make any guarantees.
BTW, is it possible that the gaps are blinking because of the shadow under each page? Is there an option to turn off the shadow?
It's certainly not impossible and I've seen wierder things in my time, but I do think it's unlikely. I can't find any obvious option to turn that off.

Are you using the Editor through a remote connection to another PC? If so, please try enabling this option:

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I already have this turned off and didn't use a remote connection when I tested it. I'm using a NVidia GTX 780 on my own PC, but will check if the blinking also happens on AMD based computers.

The gap blinking happens both with large and small (non) gaps, by the way. When gaps are turned off then the single page divider line blinks even at slow scroll speeds. With large gaps it also seems like the page boundary ("surrounding") lines are blinking rather than the gap (+shadow) itself. I would speculate that this might be due to Editor drawing the "surrounding" page lines on top of the page instead of drawing them around the page.

I shot some photos at 1/4000s that demonstrate how the line/gap alternates between drawing the page content without a gap line and drawing a gap line. LCD smearing (or in my Dell display's case overdrive overshot) makes this somewhat hard to capture, though. Once I find time I will process and post them.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Timur,

Thanks for the offer, but that shouldn't be necessary as Vasyl has already reproduced the issue, so we should be able to fix this :)

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

It would be great if you could use the opportunity to draw those page border lines around the page, not on top of it. Fit Page/Width/Height would zoom that line out of view then (since it's not part content of the page anymore).
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Timur,

I'll pass that along :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)