Sort Bookmarks

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

dxcarnadi
User

Sort Bookmarks

Post by dxcarnadi »

Hello

I want to sort bookmarks according to the pagenumber.
The bookmarks belong to a Table Of Contents bookmark.

Bookmarks, which point to the same pagenumber, should keep its order to each other.
Bookmark doesn't point to linenumber of a page!

Please see the attachments.
What I did wrong?
Thank you.
Attachments
Sort Bookmarks.zip
(303.16 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Sort Bookmarks

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi dxcarnadi,

Thanks for the post, but I'm not sure that I understand the problem. Can you please send a sample document?

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
dxcarnadi
User

Post by dxcarnadi »

Hello

I hope you can see in the attachments the type of the problem.
Attachments
SortingBookmarksTest.zip
(2.72 MiB) Downloaded 122 times
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello dxcarnadi,

It seems we may be experiencing some different behaviour. I have gone through these bookmarks on both files and they all seem to point to the correct location, and they all seem to in logical order.

Could you please go to Help> About and let me know what version and build you are running?

Could you please also detail specifically which bookmarks are problematic?

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

I am just seeing the same phenomenon as dxcarnadi is seeing.

Point 1.3.1 and 1.3 are in the wrong order when sorting the bookmarks with "Sorting Method"-settings shown in his picture "5 Before Sort Bookmarks.jpg".

In that case, the result is like we can see in picture "6 After Sort Bookmarks - see the differences.jpg".

I think the solution lies in the fact that the option "Sort all bookmark levels" (in picture 5) should be checked, before clicking OK.

Best regards.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Willy,

Thank you for that clarification! I see the issue now. It seems both these bookmarks are set to page 23, and the sort bookmarks feature does not seem to have a method of handling this.

I am struggling to come up with the logic myself. It is clear what should be done when the bookmarks are numbered like this, 1.3 should come before 1.3.1. How is this to function if the bookmark contains only text? For example, how would the sort feature know how to sort "The mathematical approach" and "The role of control design" if they are both set to view page 3.

This is something our dev team will need to look into. I have created a development ticket to help track the status of this issue. Please reference RT#3837: Issue with Sort Bookmarks feature when requesting an update to this issue.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello guys,

I've investigated the issue behind this. All of the bookmarks point to Page not to the Destination on Page, meaning that all of the other values except of the Page number itself are inherited if you click the bookmark properties. If you sort it via the bookmark positioning (not alphabetically) on the page - it chose the bookmark position randomly if the bookmarks' destinations are the same on the same Page. I've made a slight fix - if the destinations are the same, the lexicographical sorting will be used instead, though in your file that would do a slight rearrangement only, as the situation is as I described above.
To sum up - the fix will be available from the next build (322).

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ