Advanced Search does not highlight all "OR" search terms

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

Advanced Search does not highlight all "OR" search terms

Post by David.P »

Hi forum and Tracker support team,

today I found the below problem with Advanced Search.
Steps to reproduce: download the attached file and use Advanced Search (with proximity set to "same paragraph") for the following search term combination:
  • (processor AND voltage) AND (battery OR forcibly OR cell OR individually)
Result: on p. 3, only the words "processor", "voltage" and "battery" are highlighted, but not the words "forcibly", "cell" and "individually", although the latter terms also are there in the same text paragraph.

Expected result: all search terms that are present in the respective found paragraph should be highlighted.

Note that the same happens also if less search terms connected with "OR" are used, for example like the following search term combination:
  • (processor AND voltage) AND (battery OR cell)
Thus, it seems that generally, only one of the alternative terms (that are connected with "OR") gets highlighted, instead of all of the alternative terms, see also below screenshot from another search:

Please try to reproduce and create a support ticket, if applicable.

Thank you
David.P
Attachments
Charger-B6-Pro-manual.pdf
(661.56 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Last edited by David.P on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Advanced Search does not highlight all "OR" search terms

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi David,

Thank you for the detailed post! However, I am actually seeing the expected results when using the basic search:

I am able to reproduce the missing results when using the same search criteria as shown in your screenshot.

It seems that removing the criteria from the "All these words" field allows the results from "Any of these words" to populate.

I agree with you that the search should be showing the results from the "Any of these words" as well as the "All of these words" search terms, only if they all are within the same paragraph.

I have created an internal development ticket to help track the status of this issue. Please reference RT#3840: Issue with advanced search criterion when requesting an update to this issue.

Thank you again for your detailed report.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you very much Patrick, for creating the support ticket. Sorry for replying late. Somehow I wasn't notified by the forum, or I missed the notification.

Cheers
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com