PDF Editor 6.0.321 - puts new comment to an arbitrary place

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Valeria_Gyenge
User

PDF Editor 6.0.321 - puts new comment to an arbitrary place

Post by Valeria_Gyenge »

WIN10 64bit
PDF Editor 6.0.321
Hi!
The new comment put between two already made ones GOES TO AN ARBITRARY PLACE (?).
(neither sorted by date nor visual order. I would expect put it in a visual order.)

thnks, for considering this bug (?).
See the screenshot picture attached
Attachments
2017-03-29 14_52_18- PDF Editor 6.0.321 - puts new comment to an arbitrary place.png
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF Editor 6.0.321 - puts new comment to an arbitrary place

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi iplnts,

thanks for the post. It does appear to me to be adding them sequentially. I can ask the dev team what the logic used here is.

Perhaps it would help if you could drag those items in the Comments pane to order them as you want? You may find that you are restricted by the page grouping. On multi-page PDf files these are by default grouped by page. I doubt that would change but we may be able to do something about the order in which they are presented within that context.

No promises - lets see what the team have to say.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Valeria_Gyenge
User

Post by Valeria_Gyenge »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi iplnts,

thanks for the post. It does appear to me to be adding them sequentially. I can ask the dev team what the logic used here is.

Perhaps it would help if you could drag those items in the Comments pane to order them as you want? You may find that you are restricted by the page grouping. On multi-page PDf files these are by default grouped by page. I doubt that would change but we may be able to do something about the order in which they are presented within that context.

No promises - lets see what the team have to say.
Hi Paul!
Thanks for your answer.

What can not be seen on the screenshot that the Comments are grouped by Subject, selected from the Comment pane Group by menu.

Yes, okay! I can understand the logic what you write, the grouping default is by pages, and then writing the comments goes sequentially.
But my problem is, I would like to see the comments in its visual order in the Comments pane anyhow is the Group by selected.

Yes, the drag comment to any place in the Comments pane would be a nice feature. For any further purpose, but it is worth only if the Summary Comments also has a possibility to print that sequence.

So, I guess, the Sort by menu feature in the Comments pane would be enough, to select the Visual Order possibility, as similarly as it can be selected (and the order works well), when I'm using Summarize comments.

Or even simpler resolution would be, if the natural order when writing a comment could be the visual order. If this is provided as a sorting possibility in the Summary Comment, surely the inner logic has this capability. In this case the Group by may be allowed to be unrestricted.

Thanks considering to provide this possibility.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi again iplnts,

right - I agree. The grouping do make any ordering within a group somewhat ambiguous. Changing the grouping would change this.

You have hit the nail on the head with your observation about ordering the objects. By default the comments are listed sequentially by time stamp, the most recently applied comment going last, however you can change that by changing the order. Right click the comment and bring forward to raise the comment in the list and send backwards to lower it.

Since that is not terribly intuitive we could maybe add a right click option to the comments in the list for changing the order.

Would that help?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Valeria_Gyenge
User

Post by Valeria_Gyenge »

Hi Paul!

Thanks, for dealing with this problem.

as you suggest, but
- Yes, when the grouping changes to Page the comment will be seen right well at the bottom. But, what is tricky if you see (from the first attached screenshot), when the Group by is set for Subject, even yet the time stamp order is not kept well. The comment should have to be seen at the bottom regarding to its time stamp.
- Also nothing changes when Right click the comment and bring forward. This function does not regard - I guess - to change the order in the Comment pane, but bring forward and after the comments in the main document view.

It is lucky you are dealing with me for both of my issues, so you or your tech. dev. stuff would be able to test this problem on a live sample got from my attached sample zip bundle.

Just a suggestion again: Probably, implementing the Sort by menu function in the Comment pane may be an adequate resolution.

Thanks for looking after, and considering to implement this useful function for the Comment pane.

BTW: Because the attached PDF file is my actual personal work, pls. use it only for test purposes. I don't know whether what are the forum policies for such cases, but I may ask to delete this sample zip bundle after you had downloaded.
Last edited by Valeria_Gyenge on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello iplnts,

We will certainly bring this suggestion up on the next meeting - and have it discussed with the devs. If considered appropriate - we will see to implement it at some point in the future. As for the files - if they have sensitive personal information - it's best you e-mail those to us (support@pdf-xchange.com) with a link back to this topic instead of attaching them directly.

Kind Regards,
Stefan
Valeria_Gyenge
User

Post by Valeria_Gyenge »

Hi Stefan!

Thanks for considering this suggestion, and hoping it will be agreed to be appropriate for a future implementation.
---
as for the files: I will delete it from the previous post, and thanks for the advice how to send such one in the future.

Regards,
iplnts
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
Valeria_Gyenge
User

Post by Valeria_Gyenge »

Thank you, Stefan!

I'll be listening and awaiting, hoping a resolution :)

Kind regards,
iplnts
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi again iplnts,

we had the meeting and discussed this issue. It is not a trivial matter to change the order of the comments when grouped as something other than pages. Even when grouped by pages, the order on the panel reflects the order (front or behind) of the object on the page.

PDF documents are not linear like a word processor so keeping the "flow", comments in the order they appear on the page, is not trivial. There was some discussion of using the "tab order" as it applies to comments but that would force one to follow a column/row or row/column paradigm which again is not really what you are looking for.

The team are going to have a think about this, they are a clever bunch, if there is something we can do here I am sure they will figure it out. Having said that, if they come back and say it is not something that can readily be implemented we will have to live with that.

So let see what they come up with in the next few months. No promises there I'm afraid though.

Hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Valeria_Gyenge
User

Post by Valeria_Gyenge »

Hi Paul!

Thanks for your pursuing this matter.

I can understand your concern and explanation about the logic of the flow is not trivial. I can also guess, that the comments are objects somehow inserted into the PDF's objects order sequence at there precise places when displayed in the main document view and really the front or behind is an important concern.

However, my logic is; I suppose, there should exist a database behind what stores only the comments immediately as they have been created.
I also guess, to display the comments by any sequence in the Comments Pane mainly based on only a Comments database query. (It is nothing to do, with whole data-flow of PDF objects sequence, I think.)

What I do not understand clearly, if the Summary of Comments feature has a possibility to change both the Group by and Sort by order (what is surely based on listing records of a Comments database by chosen parameters), why can not be implemented a Sort by feature ordering the Comments sequence in the Comment Pane, similarly as it is allowed to choose in the Comments Summary? In the Comment Pane only the Group by allowed to be selected.
(I suppose to: It may be due to my logic fails to list the comments in the Comment Pane based on a comments database query.)

I was only thinking a bit technically. I do not expect a clear technical answer here. But, if there is, I really would be glad due to my technical curiosity :)
I'm awaiting for your technical stuff best resolution.

Thanks, again for dealing with this issue.

Best Regards,
Valeria