Form field font display interoperability issue

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

askelly
User

Form field font display interoperability issue

Post by askelly »

There seems to be a form field font handling bug in 6.0 build 321 (at least). When a field's font is changed in PDF-XChange Editor or the SDK and the form is subsequently opened in Acrobat, an incorrect font is displayed unless the field value is being edited. If the font is changed twice, the first new font is displayed in reading mode and the second (current) new font is displayed in edit mode (after clicking into the field). This behavior only occurs in Acrobat, but only with fields modified by Tracker. The incorrect font displayed in reading mode can be a font that doesn't currently exist in any form fields. Also, modifying or adding subsequent fields can cause them to be displayed in a font that was never assigned to that field but was assigned to some other field previously. This came to light because we use the SDK to add a field using a barcode font at the bottom of each form and we set the value of many other fields without changing their fonts, yet when the form is opened in Acrobat all fields appear in the barcode font until the user clicks into them.

Issue 1: Create a new document in PDF-XChange Editor, add a field, and set its font to "Courier New". Close and reopen in Acrobat (I'm using Acrobat Standard DC 2017.009.20044). The field font will appear as the default Arial until you click into it, then it will change to Courier New, but only until you exit the field.

Issue 2: Create a new form in Acrobat (this issue does not occur on forms originally created by PDF-XChange Editor). Add 2 fields. Close and reopen in PDF-XChange Editor and change the font on one field twice, first to font A and then font B. Then change the value of the other field without changing its font. Close and reopen in Acrobat. Both fields now display in font A until you click into them, at which point they display the expected font until you exit the field.

If you're unable to reproduce this I can demonstrate it. Thanks.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Form field font display interoperability issue

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello askelly,

I can confirm that I managed to reproduce the first issue. What I also noticed is that if you modify the field in Adobe - it then sticks to "Courier New" as the font for that field.
Unfortunately I do not have a license for Adobe to try the second option - but I suspect the two are related.

I will now pass those to our developers to further investigation.

Regards,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello again askelly,

Just got a confirmation from one of the lead devs that they believe to know what is causing this problem - and we will try to resolve it for build 323.

Regards,
Stefan
askelly
User

Post by askelly »

Thank you!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com