Open PDF tabname width is too narrow

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

elliot hamilton
User

Open PDF tabname width is too narrow

Post by elliot hamilton »

I just upgraded my tracker software from PDFxchangeViewer 2.5 to PDF-Xchange Editor 6.0.

In the old product, with many PDFs open, the width of the tab always remained wide enough that I could read the title of the PDF.

In the new product, with many PDFs open, the width of the tab gets smaller each time a new PDF is opened, making the tab completely worthless.

Is there a way to keep the tab from shrinking each time a PDF is opened?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Open PDF tabname width is too narrow

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Elliot,

Thanks for the post - No way to do this currently, but I'll pass the suggestion along.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi Elliot.

In new upcoming build you will be able to turn off/on the tabs shrinking by:
TurnOffShrinkingTabs.png
Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

I'd like to be able to set max/min width for tabs. In my browsers I have tabs set to 100/100 so that they're all the same width. There's enough of the name showing to ID it and also float-over info of the whole name.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

In the meanwhile, there is still the "Show Sorted Tabs" button at the left side of the tabs bar.

It just requires one (additional) click to see all open PDFs with their complete name and to open them from there.

Best regards.
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:In the meanwhile, there is still the "Show Sorted Tabs" button at the left side of the tabs bar.
IMO this is a better solution to working with lots of tabs than either scrolling tabs or shrinking them.

However, the method used in the PDF Viewer that's like the Speed Dial in browsers is the best method by far.

One click on the tile icon will show previews of all open documents, each thumbnail displays the page that was last viewed at the zoom level in use for that document. It makes it very quick to select documents visually without reading through a long list of file names and remembering which is which.

One click on the thumbnail focuses that open document. It has been so long since I used the viewer that I forget if there's an option to change the number of columns.

I hope you will implement this great feature in the Editor as it's a more efficient way to work with lots of open documents than scrolling through tabs or lists of file names.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for the assistance guys, appreciated as always :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
zjays
User

Post by zjays »

Agree with the option to choose the tab widths; the tab widths were too wide in the previous version, now they shrink too narrow :)

As another option, what about vertically listed tabs in a sidebar? Firefox's Tree Style Tab add-on is amazing for having dozens of tabs open in one window and being able to easily read and scroll through them.

Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

HI guys,

I've put in a formal feature request for consideration, though do please note that this isn't a guarantee to implement, only to consider.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)