Why does XChange Editor update reset the default PDF program?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

highstream
User

Why does XChange Editor update reset the default PDF program?

Post by highstream »

Why do PDF-XChange Editor updates set itself as the default PDF program?? I use and have set XChange Viewer intentionally as my default pdf viewer for several years - yes, I know it's discontinued - and keep Editor for the occasional moments when I need its features. However, most every time I update it, I end up having to go back into the Control Panel (Win 10) to reset the pdf association. The only time it hasn't reset it was the other night when from within Viewer, I installed the Viewer update first and then the Editor update. Don't know yet if that's repeatable, but just now from the sys tray notice that method didn't work with the latest updates.
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Why does XChange Editor update reset the default PDF program?

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hi highstream,

Could you please let us know if the Editor changes the file associations only on update or every time when it was started?

Regards,
Radi
genegold
User

Post by genegold »

Only on update, as far as I've seen. Did it on my Win 7 laptop too.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi genegold,

Thanks for the info. - It appears that we already an internal development ticket to track this issue (RT-3845), so we are aware and working on this for a future release.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
genegold
User

Post by genegold »

Future? Here we are nearly two years later and XChange Editor still resets itself as the default program after every update.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Genegold,

I am afraid that after much consideration, we have decided against offering this for our MSI installers. The reasoning is that it is highly complex to do this, and would take considerable effort to ensure that it works properly. If anything went wrong, or if windows changed how the information is stored over time, we would have to restart from scratch and it may not be backwards compatible.

If you look at nearly all of our competition, you will see that they too seem to have made this same decision, simply due to the workload and variables that need to be accounted for.

I apologize, but until further notice, we do not plan on doing this. While you may see it return later down the road, we cannot make any guarantees at this time.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
genegold
User

Post by genegold »

I have lots of programs, many of the same type, and it is rare that one resets the default on its own. Most will ask or have an "advanced" option during the install that lets the user choose.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello genegold,

Our installers do offer the option like others do, and if you run the new installers instead of using the update utility you certainly can make sure that your settings do no change. If you wish for more control, simply run the new installers instead of using the updater.

This will only happen when using the Updater utility as it is designed to be an automated process without needing user interaction beyond clicking "install". In this case the installer runs with all the default settings in place.

I hope this helps!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
genegold
User

Post by genegold »

Good to know, thanks. However, I seem to recall from back then that even with the choice it was ignored. I'll check next time.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

That should not be the case, I will run a few tests with the latest installers to verify however. if necessary, I will let the dev team know.

Have a nice day!

Support@pdf-xchange.com