Malware Safety  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

suburban manufacturing inc.
User

Malware Safety

Post by suburban manufacturing inc. »

With the huge PDF malware campaign that started in the last few days what are the recommended settings to prevent any auto-run of scripts, executable, etc. I find a tremendous number of settings spread throughout the program. I want to make sure that I get them all. The current threat is a encrypt-malware spread by a PDF. I tried for about 30 to search for such a help document without any success. Thank you!
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Malware Safety

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello suburban manufacturing inc.

Thank you for the email. The settings you will be looking for are located under Edit> Preferences security. Here you will find options to disallow PDF to open Attachments, file and websites.

To stop scripts, go to Edit> Preferences> JavaScript and deselect 'Enable JavaScript actions'.

Because I open many PDF received via email I have set my installation of the Editor such that it warns me and asks if the JavaScript can be executed:

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
User

Thank you very much!

That covers JavaScript; does your application use any PDF-specific code or macros that auto-run and could also be a threat?

Thanks again,

-bob
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Malware Safety  SOLVED

Hi Bob,

Our software adheres 100% to the PDF specification - so we do not employ any custom functions or macros that could perform an unexpected action to your files or PC. Most actions are either initiated by the user or JavaScript. A PDF action such as a link or bookmark all requires the user to initiate. These actions can be called upon by JavaScript, but having JS disabled eliminates that concern.

There may be some actions which are encoded to the document. For example, within a document, you can specify a default page at which to open, and even the page and toolbar layout used to display the document. These can be set under File> Document Properties> Initial viewer in case you are interested.

In the security settings (Edit> Preferences> Security) I would recommend the following configuration for the best protection and convenience:

In short, If you've configured the security settings and disabled JavaScript you should be at no risk of malware or malicious intent when working with PDF documents.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
User

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. The information you provided is very useful. Thanks and have a great week. -bob
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

My pleasure, Bob!

Take care!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest