Install Help doc PDF

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

delaing
User

Install Help doc PDF

Post by delaing »

Is there a way that I can install(?) the PDF version of the Editor Help file so that Editor won't open the web version? I've downloaded it, but not sure if this is doable.
Or is there a setting within Editor where the user can dictate where to look for the Help: online or local PDF file?

If this has already been answered in an FAQ or on your site, where would I have found it?

Thanks in advance,
Delain
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Install Help doc PDF

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Delaing,

I am afraid that no - there's no way to switch to offline help for the F1 key - but you can always manually open that PDF file if you want to check locally.
The online help is much easier to keep up to date and to include all the latest features in, and that's why we've moved to an online help system.

Regards,
Stefan
delaing
User

Post by delaing »

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the thinking you mention, but it is more convenient if a Help doc is available either on-board or locally. Seems like a simple matter of adding in an option in Preferences for a Checkbox to allow a local PDF file to be opened instead of the web site. The Checkbox would enable a file location path and disable hyperlinking to the online version.
Main reason, from what I've seen so far, is that the Search/Find capability within Editor is much better and more responsive than the online Search feature. I can move through the found highlights in Editor simply by hitting Next or F3 versus needing to click through each one of the hits on the web version. I don't want to spend time clicking around on the web version's sidebar only to find that most of the hits are not relative to my query.

And, the user can simply download the latest version of the Help doc manually, if/when needed.

I'd like to request that this be put forward as a Feature Request; a simple one seems to me.

Thank you,
Delain
delaing
User

Post by delaing »

Well, I've set up a workaround for this that others might find useful. Stumbling around Editor's Preferences, I saw the Launch Applications feature; not sure just what other users are using this for just yet, but here is what I tried and it seems to be a feasible stop-gap.

I defined a New "Application" pointing to where I moved the Help PDF file to. When I click on the popup in the lower right-hand corner feature and select Help Doc, it opens the Help PDF in Editor for easy access. See if the image here will help explain what I did.
How to call up Help doc.png
Regards,
Delain
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Dealing,
what a great idea! Did you know that you can always get updated PDF of the help site from a link on the product main page? For the Editor for example go here https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe6/ and look for "A PDF version of this manual is available here." at the bottom.

Nice work around!
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Another way is to open the PDF then pin it to the "Open" list. Not sure if this is easier/quicker to access.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Giraffe :)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com