frequent crashes in large documents  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

christian kuhlmann
User

frequent crashes in large documents

Post by christian kuhlmann »

Hi,
with the latest version (322.4) of the PDF editor I get frequent crashes and unresponsiveness when searching (or even when switching pages) in large documents.

Steps to reproduce: Unresponsive when searching
  1. Open ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/tex/graphi ... fplots.pdf, go to the first page, whole page zoom
  2. Search for "axis line*=". // edit: by using the Ctrl+F search box
    Search options are "Ignore Diacritics", "Include Page Text", "Include Bookmarks", "Include Comments" and all others off.
  3. Note that the editor becomes unresponsive.

Steps to reproduce: Crash
  1. Open ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/tex/graphi ... fplots.pdf, go to the first page, whole page zoom
  2. Jump to page 268 by entering it into the page field and pressing enter ("cmd.view.pageNumber" control)
  3. Repeatedly press the right arrow key to navigate to page 279 (fast, one key press per second)
  4. Notice that the editor crashes on page 279

Sometimes PDF editor closes without any error dialogue, sometimes it becomes unresponsive and stays in this state even when I wait 10 minutes. I hope these problems can be reproduced and fixed soon, they are killing my productivity. I get them on two different machines I'm using. Both are Win7 x64. They don't occur every time I view a page, so its more like a race condition than like a crash because of the page contents in general.

I have attached the file, to extract, please rename to pgfplots.7z.001 and pgfplots.7z.002 and open with 7-zip, since the forum won't allow me to add .001 and .002 files.
Thanks for looking into this.

Best regards,
Chris
Attachments
pgfplots.002.7z
(4.46 MiB) Downloaded 198 times
pgfplots.001.7z
(5 MiB) Downloaded 138 times
Last edited by christian kuhlmann on Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: frequent crashes in large documents

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Christian,

thanks for the detailed report. I found that using the two FTP links I was able to open the files and test, however the 7z files would not extract, I tried on 2 different machines.

Regards the search causing a hang - I was unable to reproduce this. It performed the search in under 2 seconds:

For the crash, I did reproduce this and will pass this on to the development team.

Given that the two FTP files were available, do we need the two 7zipped files as well?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
christian kuhlmann
User

Hi Paul,

thanks for your very fast confirmation of the crash.
You don't need the archived files, but I would like to suggest that you pass your downloaded file along with the crash report. Since the link is subject to frequent changes and not under my control, it might be safer to archive the current file with the report.

As for the search hang, could you please re-check your result using the search box you get when pressing Ctrl+F? I just noticed that my steps to reproduce lack this information. The "sidebar search" doesn't show any hang on my side as well, now that I tried it. Thanks for this discovery, nice workaround.

Kind regards,
Chris
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Ah haa

using the simple search did cause the Editor to hang. Thanks for that.

I have downloaded the sample PDF files and attached them to a Support Request Ticket (RT#3944: Editor crash on navigating document) so we will always have access to them even if the FTP changes.

While that ticket is for internal use only, any staff member can give you an update with the ticket number.

Thanks again for the detailed report.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

The crash is fixed.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Re: frequent crashes in large documents  SOLVED

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

And "Unresponsive when searching" bug will be fixed in new upcoming build too..
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
christian kuhlmann
User

Hi Vasyl, hi Ivan,
thanks for the quick fix, much appreciated.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)