Opening PDF-XChange in IE

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

stutan
User

Opening PDF-XChange in IE

Post by stutan »

Hello,

Every time I open a pdf in Internet Explorer I get an error message that says PDF-XChange Editor Please enter the time in HH:MM AM/PM or 4-digit format. This is running on Windows 7 Enterprise edition the company I work for recently bought the software and I am in the desktop support department. The software works fine otherwise no other issues that I know of. If you could help me get rid of annoying window every time I open a pdf I would deeply appreciate it.

Thank you,

Stuart
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Opening PDF-XChange in IE

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Stuart,
welcome to the Tracker forums.

To be honest, I am not at all sure what this might be. It is definitely not something I've seen before. Can you send us a screen shot of this message?

tia
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
stutan
User

Post by stutan »

Here is the error.
Attachments
Error.png
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the screen-shot - That's a little odd. Can you send any sample PDF that displays the error?

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
stutan
User

Post by stutan »

I would but it happens with every pdf so sending one would be pointless.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Stuart,

It may happen with every PDF you're using becuase they have something specific in common. None of us are seeing this here and we've had no other reports, so at this stage it does seem likely that this is the case.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
stutan
User

Post by stutan »

Is there a log some where I can look at for when PDF Editor starts to determine what the issue is? I tried looking in the event viewer but nothing showed up there. I can also try to reinstall the software as well just as I am fairly busy throughout the day and don't have a lot of time to sit with my computer and trouble shoot it. I tried a few things and file still does this when I save it locally and then open it in PDF XChange Editor. Also when I try to take personal information out it won't let me save it unless I change the name of the pdf. If I can get a direct contact I can share it with you just didn't want to post in a forum.

Thank you,

Stuart
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Stuart,

There are no logs that you can provide that would help. From your description, this sounds like it may be an XFA form of some sort but we really do need a sample document, or we cannot assist.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
stutan
User

Post by stutan »

Well I don't want to post it in a forum because it has sensitive data on the form. Like I said previously if I can get a contact to send it to directly I will be glad to send it. Sad I have to keep repeating myself over a simple issue. I am about to just carry on and recommend that this product not be used at all as it proves to be problematic. Just know I did try several times to get assistance but to no avail. I wish you luck with your software. I will try to uninstall and reinstall if that doesn't fix the issue then I am done with it. Sorry for my shortness but I am extremely busy and every minute I am posting in here means less time helping users.

Farewell,

Stuart
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

@stutan

1) On the Tracker Software homepage, via Company > Contact us (https://www.pdf-xchange.com/contact),
you can find their support e-mail address: support@pdf-xchange.com

2) Do you also see the Error message when just starting PDF-XChange Editor (without opening any file)?
If yes, then the problem should not be directly related with the kind of PDFs that you are opening.

3) Does the Error message shows up in case of opening a new blank PDF?
You can create one, via the File menu > New Document > With Blank Pages

4) Please look into the installation folder of PDF-XChange Editor for a sub folder called "JavaScripts".
Chances are high that there is one or more javascript file(s) in there (*.js)
The path is something like C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Editor\JavaScripts
In case if you should find *.js files, then move them to an other location, and start the Editor again.

Please do not give it up too fast.
The problem is probably not directly related to the Editor itself, and mostly the support delivered by Tracker Support is very fast and efficient.

Best regards.
stutan
User

Post by stutan »

Thanks Willy but this is kind of ridiculous.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Tracker Support, it seems like we have lost someone ...
:-(

Myself, I have been doing end-user support (and recently second-line support) already for tens of years.
One of the qualities you must have is often a lot of good will and patience.

So, I wonder how long stutan is already doing that end-user support, and how long he will still do ...
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Willy thanks for your help!

@stutan - Please do send us a copy of one of the problematic files to support@pdf-xchange.com and we will be happy to look at this and investigate further.
Given the error screenshot you've provided I believe this is some built in check inside a form that throws this message - but as it has been said above - a sample will be needed to investigate this further.

We always aim to give top level support! I do not understand what is "ridiculous" in Willy's post? It is quite complete and includes everything you need so that we can continue our investigation into the problem. Or do you find anything else in this forum topic ridiculous, and if so - please tell us what so that we can change it!

Regards,
Stefan
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Stutan,

I am very sorry to hear of your frustrations. I have spoken to one of our development team here regards this. He is also thinking JavaScript. At first glance the error message you posted does appear to be one of ours, so we he is going to search the code base for that string to see in what context it would be used.

This developer is available today to do a remote session if you wish. That would undoubtedly be the fastest resolution to this. Would that be something you are amenable to?

It has been fewer than 24 hours since you first posted your issue and you have received several attempts to help you with this. What more would you have us do? To date you are the only person who has ever reported this and we need to do some digging to find the cause.

Did you email support@pdf-xchange.com and get no reply? If so please indicate the mail address you sent from and the time it was sent and I will follow this up.

sincerely

Paul
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
stutan
User

Post by stutan »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:Tracker Support, it seems like we have lost someone ...
:-(

Myself, I have been doing end-user support (and recently second-line support) already for tens of years.
One of the qualities you must have is often a lot of good will and patience.

So, I wonder how long stutan is already doing that end-user support, and how long he will still do ...
I have been doing desktop support since 1996. I plan on doing it much longer I am passionate about what I do and I am good at it. When I can't find answers to questions I have I look elsewhere. When someone brings me a problem I do my best to ask the right questions and find a working solution. I definitely don't talk down to them in an open forum even if they are frustrated with their issue. I do my best to empathize with the user and assist them in resolving what ever issue they are having. Let me let you in on a little secret even the best people have bad days sometimes it won't even be your fault but you will have to do your best to be professional regardless. When those times come they are how you are measured. I wish you more success at it then I have obtained apparently. I will send a copy of one of the pdfs to the email provided.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks for your answer stutan.
For me, this discussion is closed.
I understand if you had a bad day.
I was just not amused by the word "ridiculous" as a reaction on my attempt to help, and that was also published in this "open forum".

Tracker Support, please feel free to remove my reaction after reading.

:-)
stutan
User

Post by stutan »

My apologizes if you perceived it that way but the part I thought was ridiculous was how long it took me to get to where we were at. I provided an issue supplied a screen shot and even after asking for a contact I got please post it here. I have learned to by-pass people that can't or won't help me which is why I posted what I did. Remember I am the one seeking help here not supporting and I am merely human as well. This thread can be closed I have contacted support and they are trying to assist and have been able to recreate the issue.

Thank you everyone for your assistance.

Stuart.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for your post. The dev team have found the issue which lies inside the XML definition. Adobe ignores the error, and we are currently waiting to hear back from our project manager if we should also ignore the error, or stick to the pdf specification and display the error message.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
stutan
User

Post by stutan »

Thank you Patrick
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)