Problems with "Open in PDFXchangeEditor"  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

vivadavid
User

Problems with "Open in PDFXchangeEditor"

Post by vivadavid »

Hello,

My case scenario is as follows:

1. I'm on the Windows 10 file explorer.
2. I right click on a PDF file to access its Properties.
3. File explorer takes a few minutes (sometimes it doesn't do it at all) to show me the right click menu options in those cases, as far as I know, where my PDF file is particular big (more than 100 MB).
4. I noticed that, in addition to the classical option "Open with" where you click and choose the PDF viewer you want to open the file with, PDF Xchange shows an option called "Open in PDFXchangeEditor" (with all the words put together).
5. Presuming that this might have to do with my problem, I uninstalled PDF Xchange Editor (6.0.322.4) and now whenenever I right click on a PDF file on the Windows 10 file explorer, everything happens instantaneously.

I hope you find this feedback useful.

Regards,

David
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Problems with "Open in PDFXchangeEditor"

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you may be using an older build. Could you please go to Help> About from within the Editor and tell us what version and build you are running?

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
vivadavid
User

Post by vivadavid »

Hi,
I was using 6.0.322.4, which is, as I can see on the website, the latest version.
vivadavid
User

Post by vivadavid »

I guess my main concern now is how to disabled this feature, which is apparently duplicated. I went through all the settings, but I couldn't find it.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello vivadavid,

This should not be happening with this build. Please go to C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions and rename both XCShellMenu.x__.dll files. Please rename it by adding a character at the beginning and end of the file name. For example '1XCShellMenu.x86.dll1'. This should disable the menu item "Open with PDF-XChangeEditor" and "Combine with PDF-XChangeEditor".

Please let us know if this improves your situation.

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
vivadavid
User

Post by vivadavid »

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I've reinstalled the same version (unmarking the shell extensions) and things are fine now: this duplicated feature is gone and the right click menu starts instantaneously. I didn't have to rename anything.

Since I only noticed this behaviour today, I was wondering if it has something to do with the fact that I copied "Settings.dat" from the main folder of the portable version to <C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Editor>.

In fact, I was going to create another thread on this forum because this operation didn't transfer my settings (I was particularly interested in keeping my templates for the comment tools).
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Problems with "Open in PDFXchangeEditor"  SOLVED

Hello vivadavid,

That may certainly have caused this! The settings for the installed software are actually stored in the registry and not in a .dat file. If you want to bring your settings from the portable version please launch it and go to Edit> Export Settings. Save the settings file then close the portable Editor and launch the installed one. Then go to Edit> Import settings.

I hope this helps!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
vivadavid
User

Post by vivadavid »

Hello, Patrick,

It did help! I didn't know there was an import/export tool, and it worked very well!! Problem solved!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com