Exported PDF to word document becomes password protected

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

korp
User

Exported PDF to word document becomes password protected

Post by korp »

Hello

I am trying out the free version of the Xchange prg to see if it is useful for me and my needs.

I exported a PDF file to word document, but th word document keeps saying "its reserved by user" and has password protection so its read-only. I have not put any password on it and the original PDF is also not password protected.

Anyone have any advice, or explanation on why the exported word docuemnt ends up with a password?

cheers
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Exported PDF to word document becomes password protected

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi korp,

Thanks for the post - This is a limitation of using the Editor/PDF-Tools in demo mode. Once a license has been purchased, the Word docs. will no longer be protected.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
korp
User

Post by korp »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi korp,

Thanks for the post - This is a limitation of using the Editor/PDF-Tools in demo mode. Once a license has been purchased, the Word docs. will no longer be protected.

Thanks,
Hello, thanks for your reply. that makes sense.

I hope its its ok that I do a follow up question on that here and not start a new thread?

What I am trying to determine before buying the full version is if there is anyway to convert/export a scannced file (either saved in PDF or Image form) into a format, either PDF or word document, where it is possible to mark the text, and copy and past the actual text?

Does that makes sense? I am not sure I am explaining it very good.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello korp,

Yes it's perfectly fine to continue here.
You will need to OCR the PDF file:
How do I OCR a document?
And then you will be able to use the "Select text" tool to highlight and copy text from that originally image based document.

Regards,
Stefan
korp
User

Post by korp »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello korp,

Yes it's perfectly fine to continue here.
You will need to OCR the PDF file:
How do I OCR a document?
And then you will be able to use the "Select text" tool to highlight and copy text from that originally image based document.

Regards,
Stefan
Hello

thanks for the info. I did the OCR and the file became searchable and copy and paste was possible (albeit a bit awkward, but still really good considering).

If I export this the PDF to another reader, say my iPad will it also be searchable? I am a novice with PDFs so I might be asking daft questions.

But after I did the OCR is the document permanently searchable from now on? I did not get an option to save a copy of the document after the process so I am not sure the "new format" is permanent?
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello Korp,

When you run character recognition (OCR) on a PDF that contains scanned information, a transparent text-layer is being add on top of the scanned-layer. In PDF-XChange Editor, you can run the OCR feature via the Document-menu > OCR Page(s).

When you close the PDF, you should get the question whether you like to save the PDF, or not.

When you select Save, the OCR information is saved within the PDF and will also be usable when you open this file in an other PDF reader, -viewer or -editor and even on an other device (portable pc, tablet) or operating system (Apple iOS).

Best regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the help Wlly,

Korp - Willy has answered all your questions so there's nothing much for me to add - but if you have any other inquiries - we are here to help!

Cheers,
Stefan
brightowl37
User

Post by brightowl37 »

I'm trying the free program before buying but have come across the same problem. The MS Word version is password protected. Is there no way of opening the MS Word document?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello brightowl37,

This is a limitation of the free version. Once you obtain a license - you will be able to create protection free word documents!

Regards
Stefan