Can't open Windows 10 apps from "Launch Applications"

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jakkaas
User

Can't open Windows 10 apps from "Launch Applications"

Post by jakkaas »

Hello Everyone
I want to open a pdf application called Xodo app found in windows store through launch application option found on PDF-XChange editor. I tried loading the Xodo exe file from windows app directory but I got a message that i didn't have permission to open the file. So After giving myself full access to the app folder, i successfully loaded the Xodo exe file in launch application and tried to open a pdf via launch application option by Xodo app. But I am getting a message that "Windows cannot access the specified device or path. You may not have appropriate permission to access them". I have uploaded the screenshot. Please tell me a way to get this app open.
Xodo app.rar
(3.15 MiB) Downloaded 58 times
Last edited by jakkaas on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Can't open Windows 10 apps from "Launch Applications"

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi jakkaas,

Thanks for the post, but you appear to have the wrong company. Xodo is not one of our applications, nor are we affiliated with it in any way.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
jakkaas
User

Post by jakkaas »

Sorry If you have misunderstood the question. I am saying that i am trying to open a window app by launch application option found in PDF-XChange Editor. Adobe is opening since it is a desktop application but windows app pdf reader are not opening.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi jakkaas,

Sincere apologies for that! Windows Apps are stored under C:\Program Files\WindowsApps - This is a protected location that users do not even have read access to. Unless the option to 'Show hidden files and folders' is enabled in Explorer, the location is not even visible. Without the appropriate permissions, we cannot launch the application. You can try changing the permissions, but I suspect that this would require that you take ownership of the folder and that is not at all recommended for Windows folders and files as it can cause serious issues.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
jakkaas
User

Post by jakkaas »

I changed the permission and also added the application in quick application option. But still its not opening. Please check the attachment
Xodo app.rar
(3.15 MiB) Downloaded 86 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi jakkaas,

I've just tried this here - Please try running that executable directly, yourself, and it will still throw an error. This means that the issue is more general and I'm afraid that we cannot help here. Your best bet is to contact the creators of Xodo directly.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
jakkaas
User

Post by jakkaas »

The Executive file is opening seperately, though via launch application it isn't. I have tried with other pdf app on windows store but same result. Its not opening. I have given myself full access to the windows app folder and i can even load the exe file in quick launch application option. Then also it is still not opening. Is there Anyway to make it work?

By the way, Thank you for responding.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

By the way, Thank you for responding.
Not a problem! :)

When you say that it's opening separately, did you try directly from it's installation directory, here?

Because for me, that isn't working either and, from what I'm reading on Windows Apps, what I'm seeing is the correct (if unintuitive) behaviour:

Essentially, from what I understand, they cannot be run directly by accessung their executable and are required to be run in the context of an app container (as per the error message). For example, if you create a shortcut of that executable file and try to run it via that, it still won't work. But if you copy/paste

Code: Select all

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}
into Explorer, hit 'Enter' and either run the Xodo app from there, or create a shortcut of that file on your desktop, it will run correctly.

Unfortunately I don't believe that it's possible for us to call these apps from our application and pass them a file, simply because of how they work. I'll speak with the Dev. Team and will see if it is at all possible for us to run them, but I cannot make any guarantees.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
jakkaas
User

Post by jakkaas »

Yup it was not opening from exe. Thank you so much for trying and replying and hopefully, I would love to see the options if it is possible. By the way, keep up the good work. I am using PDF exchange since ages and its awesome.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

No worries Jakkaas! We'll see what we can do, but I would warn you that I don't believe it's possible, from what I've been seeing.

Thanks for the kind words too, always appreciated :D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)