[Feature Request] View Panel for all open documents | Open documents in naming order

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

daniel_lutz
User

[Feature Request] View Panel for all open documents | Open documents in naming order

Post by daniel_lutz »

Hello Support,

View panel for all open documents

currently it seems to be only possible to view all open documents when the user is click on the symbol on the left side of document tabs. In my current workflow often I need this view so i want to ask if it possible to add (under the VIEW menu) the possibility to get this view as panel to dock it on the left or right side like the bookmark panel.

Open documents in naming order

Often i select multiple documents in the file explorer and drag and drop it to open all of it in the editor. What happen is that the ordering of documents are confused and not by name. So please make it happen that there is an option to activate the "ordering open" of documents an then select after opening the first file of the list. So there will be easily to navigate throw the right order via shortcut.

Best regards

Daniel
Best regards
Daniel

PDF XChange pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: [Feature Request] View Panel for all open documents | Open documents in naming order

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the post!
View panel for all open documents
That's a good suggestion - We'll pass it along as a feature request (RT-3991) for consideration.
I'm afraid that this is determined by Windows Explorer, so we cannot change this.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
daniel_lutz
User

Re: [Feature Request] View Panel for all open documents | Open documents in naming order

Post by daniel_lutz »

Hey Will

thanks for answering.
Will - Tracker Supp wrote:
I'm afraid that this is determined by Windows Explorer, so we cannot change this.

Thanks,
As view as a developer its okay to say its the behaviour of the explorer. But when the drag&drop behaviour is implemented the editor can feel free to order it with criteria of the user. The explorer give you a list of pathes an i think before the editor open each single file there can order the list and then open it. This should be really simple for your developer team in my opinion. It should be exist an option switch for this for users who dont want it.

Best regards

Daniel
Best regards
Daniel

PDF XChange pro
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi @all,

my experience is that when you open multiple PDF documents from the File Open Dialog of PDF-XChange Editor (i.e. not from Windows Explorer), then the documents always seem to be opened in the sort order that the File Open Dialog is currently set to:

For example, if you set the File Open Dialog to "Details View" and make sure that the files are sorted by name, PDF-XChange Editor will actually open the files sorted by name. Similar when you set the File Open Dialog to show the files by size or by date, respectively. PDF-XChange Editor then will open the files sorted by size or by date, respectively.

Cheers and Hth
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for that David :)

Daniel - You're correct in that we should be able to order the files ourselves when they're dropped into the Editor, but the current behaviour was implemented due to popular request, as many users preferred that documents were opened in chronological order, rather than alphabetical. Adding an option for this is likely to be impractical, as adding options to manage every possible detail and facet of working with files (as is often requested), simply leads to a cluttered UI. I will put in the suggestion nonetheless, but I cannot guarantee it.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com