Command line option usep does not work

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Dano64
User

Command line option usep does not work

Post by Dano64 »

Hi all,

I'm using the free PDFXEdit portable implementation Version 6.0 Build 322.5 on Windows 7 and I would like to make use of the command line option /usep.
I need to read and write the user preferences from another location than the default one. (The default location is write protected for normal user)
I tried the following:
PDFXedit.exe /usep C:\development\ABC_PDFXEdit\zettings.dat -> zettings.dat was not written after modifying some settings.
PDFXedit.exe /usep:readonly=no C:\development\ABC_PDFXEdit\zettings.dat -> zettings.dat was not written after modifying some settings.
PDFXedit.exe /UseP:readonly=no C:\development\ABC_PDFXEdit\zettings.dat -> zettings.dat was not written after modifying some settings.

If I create the settings.dat in the default location and than copy it to 'C:\development\ABC_PDFXEdit\zettings.dat' PDFXEdit.exe reads it when starting up, using the /usep command line.

What am I missing to write the user preferences to another location than the default one? Or is this a known bug?

TIA for any help.
Daniele
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Command line option usep does not work

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Daniele,

You say that
If I create the settings.dat in the default location and than copy it to 'C:\development\ABC_PDFXEdit\zettings.dat' PDFXEdit.exe reads it when starting up, using the /usep command line.
Then what is the other way in which you place the zettings.dat file in the \development\ directory?

Regards,
Stefan
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, Daniele.

The issue with /usep parameter will be fixed in new upcoming build. Thanks for report.

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Dano64
User

Post by Dano64 »

Hi Vasyl,

Thanks for your info. When is the next release with the fix planned?

Thanks for your support.
Regards,
Daniele
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Daniele,

Vasyl in the Canadian office so I can't clarify at the moment, but I believe that he may have been referring to last night's release. Please try build 322.6 and let us know how that goes.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Dano64
User

Post by Dano64 »

Hi Will,

Still same behavior.
PDFXEdit.exe /usep:readonly=no "C:\devtest\settings.dat"
PDFXEdit.exe /usep "C:\devtest\settings.dat"

in both cases no C:\devtest\settings.dat is written.

Regards,
Daniele
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Please try our latest build 6.0.322.6..
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Dano64
User

Post by Dano64 »

Hi Vasyl,

I downloaded the portable version. Starting the application, about shows Version 6.0 (Build 322.6) (Aug 8 2017;14:41:10).
I tried 'PDFXEdit.exe /usep:readonly=no C:\temp\pdfxedit\latest\zettings.dat' and 'PDFXEdit.exe /usep C:\temp\pdfxedit\latest\zettings.dat' non of them created the file zettings.dat.

Regards,
Daniele
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Hi Daniele.

Here is small misunderstanding I guess. The /UseP command requires a valid setting-file that already exists on the disc. In that case the Editor loads all settings from the specified file on start and stores all settings to it on exit (when readOnly parameter isn't specified and when Editor has permissions to write to that file, for sure). When specified file isn't exist - the /UseP command will be ignored by Editor.

Cheers.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

Dano64
User

Post by Dano64 »

Hi Vasyl,

Thanks for clarification. I tried it according your explanation and it works so far ok.
So this is a slightly different behavior than the one with the old PDFXCviewer. The viewer didn't expect an existing file when using the /UseP parameter.
It behaved the same way with or without using /UseP. If the settings.dat file didn't exist, it was created. Either in the default location or with the use of /UseP in the indicated location.

Would it be possible, to implement this behavior for PDFXEdit as well?

Regards,
Daniele
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Daniele,

Are you sure that the /importsettings and /exportsettings commands wouldn't suit your needs better? You would then have control of what specifically gets imported/exported and where to/from:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe6 ... ns_ed.html

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Dano64
User

Post by Dano64 »

Hi Will,

/importsettings and /exportsettings would be an option. It's just the 'beeing accustomed to the old behavior' syndrom, to ask for the old behavior.
I found a solution that fits my needs.

Thanks to all for the support I got in this forum.

Best regards,
Daniele
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Daniele,

No worries - We'll see what we can do to change the behaviour of /usep but I'm glad that you have something that works for you now.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)