How important are the latest upgrades?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

BywaterNYC
User

How important are the latest upgrades?

Post by BywaterNYC »

Hey, clan.

A couple of quick questions:

I've been looking through the release notes for the latest versions of PDF-XChange Editor. Notes for each version are preceded by:

"Requires maintenance through [date]". What does "Requires maintenance through" mean?

I'm a licensed home user, running PDF-XChange Editor v6.0 (Build 322.4). It's been problem-free, and I couldn't be happier. Is there a compelling reason to upgrade to the latest version? If not, I'll stick with what I have.

Thanks much!

Brooks
PDF-XChange Editor 9.3 (Build 361.0)
Win 10 Pro x64
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: How important are the latest upgrades?

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

1) When you buy a license for PDF-XChange Editor, it gives you the rights to download and install updates/upgrades for a particular period of time.
After that period (ending on a particular date), your license key will not be valid anymore to further install new versions.
If you would like to do so, you would have to renew your license key (= pay for an upgrade).

2) If you do not have an immediate problem, you can stay by the version (build) that you currently have.
On the other hand, there should be no problem by installing the latest version (including new features), except if your license has expired for this.
It is very rare that new problems will show up in long time existing features.
Problem fixing is mostly done for new features that recently have been add.

Best regards.
KEbmeier
User

Post by KEbmeier »

Very useful information as a lot of times I don't know that there is an update until I do have an issue (very rarely). It's good to know that if it is working just fine we are okay although this forum is teaching me a ton about PDF editing I never knew so eventually updating quite possibly will be important to me. Thank you!
Kim
BywaterNYC
User

Post by BywaterNYC »

Thanks so much for your help, Willy.

When I purchased the software two months ago, I also purchased a 3-year "Version Upgrade Option." Am assuming that means I'll be eligible for upgrades through 2020. (Glad to know that upgrades aren't necessary as long as the software is humming along.....which it is.)

Sorry to be dense, but I'm still unsure what "Requires maintenance through..." means. On the Version History page, the note attached to my release (v6.0, Build 322.4) says: "Requires maintenance through 08-05-2017."

No rush to answer this. I'm just curious. Thanks again!
Win 10 Pro x64
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

"Requires maintenance through ..." means that your license must include maintenance (permission for version updates/upgrades) until a date that is later than the date that is mentioned for the new release.

Given the fact that your "version upgrade option" is valid through 2020, there is no problem at all to download and install v6.0, build 322.4 that requires that you have a maintenance through (at least) 08-05-2017.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Willy! :D

BywaterNYC - If you have any other questions, please let us know :)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
BywaterNYC
User

Post by BywaterNYC »

Got it!

Thank you all very much.
Win 10 Pro x64
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com