Additional languages for Primary Language recognition

Discussion for the End User use of OCR in PDF-XChange Editor and Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Victor Warner
User

Additional languages for Primary Language recognition

Post by Victor Warner »

Could you let me know when the additional languages will become available?

Clicking on "More Languages" link on the OCR Pages window leads to this page on your website: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/pdf-xchange-viewer-ocr. That web page states that the new languages will be available by 25 December 2011.

There are as yet no further languages available.

Second query: Will a Hebrew language extension also be made available (it is not in the list)?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Additional languages for Primary Language recognition

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Victor,

The tool for automatically adding languages is not yet available, but you can see all available languages here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxocr ... nguage_ext
And download the ones you need, and manually add them in our Viewer.

Please check the files in
C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer\ocrdats
Copy your newly downloaded language in this folder, modify the "Langs.ini" by adding the necessary entries for the new language, and make a .lng file with the same name as your CHOSEN_LANGUAGE.dat and copy the contents ot one of the other .lng files (and modify the language description accordingly) - and you will have this language recognized in the Viewer OCR tool.

Best,
Stefan
PdfSnooper
User

Post by PdfSnooper »

1. Is it ok to delete languages you don't need from the ocrdats folder?

And

2. And where is the Langs.ini file - I don't seem to have one.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Hi - yes it is and if you have the latest release : 2.5200

Go to the OCR options and there is an option to allow you to download the required files for use with other languages and install as required.

Hope that helps
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
ripe
User

Post by ripe »

Hi,

I am still not able to add languages to my portable version of PDFXChange Viewer. Sorry. Can anyone help me?
I use the portable version, because I have no administrationrights on this machine. So I cannot execute any files - i have to put it all manually. I just have an empty directory "Languages" an no ini-file. (Build 2.5 Ver 317.0).
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Ripe,

You need to make a folder inside the Viewer's main directory named ocrdats:
.\PDF Viewer\ocrdats
And then put the additional language files there.
Please start by downloading this file:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/downlo ... rt_OCR.zip
(this is the ocrdats folder with the basic files needed).
Extract it inside your Portable Viewer folder, and then add any additional languages in that folder too.

Regards,
Stefan
ripe
User

Post by ripe »

thanks! Thats it!
Now it works perfectly.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Glad to hear that ripe,

Regards,
Stefan
defrun
User

Post by defrun »

Sorry to post on an old thread, but help is very hard to find for this software.

I am trying as well to install ocr languages in the portable version.

This solution does not work at all for me I tried putting this ocrdats folder everywhere, PdfXchange viewer does not
see it.

This path ./PDF Viewer/ocrdats does not exist in the portable version folder. There is 'data', 'app', and 'other' as far as folders go.
So, I tried to copy 'ocrdats' in the main folder where the exe resides, then in a created folder 'PDF Viewer/ocrdats/' as you suggested,
and, finally, I tried moving it in each and every existing folder.

For each attempt, I restart the program of course, but nothing, no ocr languages.
I hope there is a way to make it work because this piece of software looks fast and light , and I am thinking of going PRO,
but the lack of complete documentation spooks me a little for a paid version....

Thank you anyway, and, if there is a solution, maybe it would be nice to inform users directly on the download page...
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello defrun,

Welcome to our forums!

While the Viewer is no longer for sale, not being actively developed - we would still be happy to assist anyone who has questions about it. We also normally reply within the hour of receiving a support request if it came in during office hours.
Help is also available - and the complete Viewer documentation is available along the documentation of all our other products here:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/

We also have an extensive KB article system which complements the above:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase

As for your actual question - I had a copy of the portable Viewer on my machine that was missing the ocrdats folder and as such was not showing any available languages for OCR. I added that folder manually - and then copied the OCR language files from the installed copy of the Editor - and it worked - please check the attached images.

The link at the start of this topic takes you to the SDK version of the OCR files - as at the time I posted that link - we didn't have this one:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/pdf-xchange-viewer-ocr
Which allows you to download and install the OCR languages for our end user products.

If you still want to manually create the .lng files as described earlier in this topic - the contents of those files is:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<language name="Bengali" prefix="ben" version="1.00"/>
Where you need to update the name to the correct language, and the prefix is the three letters from the name of the actual OCR file (e.g. ben_pxvocr.dat in the case of Bengali).

Regards,
Stefan
Attachments
Images.zip
(67.62 KiB) Downloaded 268 times