Problem finding the OCR generated file

Discussion for the End User use of OCR in PDF-XChange Editor and Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

stumped
User

Problem finding the OCR generated file

Post by stumped »

I downloaded PDF-XChange Viewer 2.5. I am trying to use the OCR feature. I selected a page to OCR, made recognition selections and PDF output selections. I then click OK. The program says rasterizing and then recognition and then the box goes away. I do not know where to find the file created. I am not sure that one was created. I can not find anything on the Internet regarding my problem. Thanks for the help ... Michael
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Problem finding the OCR generated file

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Michael,

when the OCR process is completed it doesn't create a new file, it puts an invisible text layer on the original PDF. It effectively makes your text selectable. You should be able to use the Select Tool on your PDF to select the text now.

Try it and let us know how that goes for you.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
stumped
User

Post by stumped »

I see how it works. It seems so obvious now. Thanks ... Michael

I wanted to add to my comment since I have had a moment to play with the OCR feature. If you have a "secure document" the OCR tab will not be available. What I did was print the entire document to PDF. It is again a PDF but is no longer secure. You can simply copy and paste that text without the OCR. If a PDF page is an image with text, that text you will need to OCR because you obviously can not copy the text in an image. The OCR feature does an incredible job of converting pictures to text. Thanks for the help and thanks for a great program... Michael
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi again Michael,

thanks for the comments and observations.

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com