Special characters

Discussion for the End User use of OCR in PDF-XChange Editor and Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mcswell
User

Special characters

Post by mcswell »

I have an image PDF that has barred-i characters (Unicode code point U+0268, also its upper case form U+0197). When I OCR this document, the OCR understandably thinks this is an ordinary 'i'. Is there a way for me to train the OCR system to recognize this character?

This is just one special character out of many that we linguists might want to recognize. So this is not a request to include barred-i in your OCR system, rather it's a question about how I as an end user could add arbitrary roman script characters to the OCR's recognition repertoire, probably for a particular document.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Special characters

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello mcswell,

Thanks for your enquiry, however I am afraid that there are no training tools available for our ocr tool :(

Although this is something we are planning later this year.

Regards,
Stefan
glyon
User

Font not displaying properly

Post by glyon »

My colleague and myself are both using the same version of xchange viewer for work purposes and yet when I open some documents they font is crisp and clean and hers the font is archaic and jumbles the letters together.
We've gone through all the settings and cant find any differences. Its definitely only happening in xchange viewer as in adobe everything looks as it should.
Help !!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi glyon,

I would strongly recommend that you download and try the Editor:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE6.zip

The Viewer has been replaced by the Editor and is no longer under active development, so only issues that we deem critical would be fixed.

If the Editor displays the same issue, I would recommend that you make sure that the font is embedded within the document, or that the font is installed on her system, as it may be an issue with font substitution because the font isn't embedded in the document.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
tellabs
User

Post by tellabs »

Was the character training functionality added?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello tellabs,

Not yet, but we are in the process of rewriting the OCR tool, so it might get added in the future!

Regards,
Stefan