OCR: colored images OCR'd to grey

Discussion for the End User use of OCR in PDF-XChange Editor and Viewer

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

claude vidal
User

OCR: colored images OCR'd to grey

Post by claude vidal »

Using PDFXchange Editor 6.318.1, when performing Documents\OCR pages... on a PDF document containing images defined as Color Space: DeviceRGB, the output produces those images as DeviceGray. (BTW, shouldn't that be 'grey'?)

I've tried several files, all with the same result, including the PDF-XChange Editor/Editor Plus V6 USER MANUAL.

I couldn't find any setup parameter for the OCR plugin. Is this a bug or am I missing?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: OCR: colored images OCR'd to grey

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Claude,

Thanks for the post - I'm not able to reproduce this here, even with the manual you mentioned. Can you upload a small sample from your PC? Also, please export your settings under Edit --> Export Settings and forward them to us here.
(BTW, shouldn't that be 'grey'?)
Grey and gray are both acceptable. 'Gray' is more popular in the U.S., whereas 'grey' is more popular in Europe. We tend to stick to the U.S. spellings, as do most software manufacturers.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
claude vidal
User

Post by claude vidal »

I've narrowed down the issue I'm having.

If I set 'output type' to 'Preserve original content and Add text layer', then image color is retained (color space: DeviceRGB).

If I set 'output type' to 'Create new searchable PDF', then image color is lost (color space: DeviceGray).

In both tests:
- Accuracy = high
- Output quality = auto
- Auto deskew = off

Exported settings and sample PDF attached.
Attachments
PDFXChangeEditorSettings.zip
(85.43 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Costo voyages.pdf
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 216 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that Claude - I was able to reproduce it without importing your settings and does appear specific to the Create New Searchable PDF featire. I'll forward this along to the Dev. Team for investigation.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Claude,

Just an update: I've created an internal development ticket for this issue (RT-3682). We'll fix this as soon as we're able.

Apologies for the inconvenience!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)