Title case bug in Editor's bookmark tool and a suggestion  SOLVED

This forum is for plugins used in the PDF-XChange Editor only.

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

balabi
User

Title case bug in Editor's bookmark tool and a suggestion

Post by balabi »

This link contains the pdf file that can produce the bug.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 3540060583

This pdf has 3 levels of titles, I will only care the first 2 levels.

The particular feature of this pdf is that the first 2 levels of titles have the same font style and size, so we have to add additional regex condition to differentiate them.

Below is how I did it using "generate bookmark from page text"

• There is a bug, although I checed "title case". The first level is not "title case", the letters are all uppercase

Besides the bug I mentioned, I also have a suggestion. You know you can't generate a perfect bookmark as you like in a single step, you have to try several times to make things right. Evermap's autobookmark tool has a handy option called "insert bookmarks replace existing bookmarks". While in Editor, I have to select all previous wrong bookmark and deleted them first, then generate new. This is kind of inconvenience.
Last edited by balabi on Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: several bugs in Editor's bookmark tool and a suggestion

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

It took me a very long while to find out how to get to the three levels of bookmarks, but finally it worked.
I do not have any experience with 'regular expressions', so there may be other methods to get the same result...

In the ZIP-file in attachment, I have put the print screens for:
- the Text Matching Options (identical for the three levels, except for the Text Patterns)
- the Text Patterns needed for the three levels
- the resulting bookmarks

Best regards.

N.B.: I agree with the suggestion to have an option "Replace Existing Bookmarks".
Attachments
Bookmarks for georges2013.zip
(671.77 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
Last edited by Willy Van Nuffel on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balabi
User

Re: several bugs in Editor's bookmark tool and a suggestion

Post by balabi »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:Hello,

I took me a very long while to find out how to get to the three levels of bookmarks, but finally it worked.
I do not have any experience with 'regular expressions', so there may be other methods to get the same result...

In the ZIP-file in attachment, I have put the print screens for:
- the Text Matching Options (identical for the three levels, except for the Text Patterns)
- the Text Patterns needed for the three levels
- the resulting bookmarks

Best regards.

N.B.: I agree with the suggestion to have an option "Replace Existing Bookmarks".
Thank you very much for testing.

And... my god! This is embarrassing. I made a silly mistake! I forgot to check "All pages"! That caused the missing titles.

Anyway, the "title case" bug still remains. Have you tried to check "Title Case" in "title formatting". As I tested, this is not working for first level.

By the way, your regex is wrong, you should not use "\d.\d", because "." means any character. I think you don't mean that way, right? You should use "\." to represent "." . However, you are lucky, because the wrong regex also works for this particular example
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Title case bug in Editor's bookmark tool and a suggestio

1) I have just tested with Title Formatting for the first level, set to "Title Case".
This indeed, does not seem to have any effect. All characters are still caps.
An additional remark: "Sentence case" does not work correctly neither. All characters become lowercase, the first one included.

2) You are indeed correct about my using of "." in the Text Pattern, but like I said, my experience with regex is quasi zero.
Thank you for sharing this.

Best regards.
balabi
User

Post by balabi »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:1) I have just tested with Title Formatting for the first level, set to "Title Case".
This indeed, does not seem to have any effect. All characters are still caps.
An additional remark: "Sentence case" does not work correctly neither. All characters become lowercase, the first one included.

2) You are indeed correct about my using of "." in the Text Pattern, but like I said, my experience with regex is quasi zero.
Thank you for sharing this.

Best regards.
So...Are you insider of pdf xchange? Do my report reach the developers? There is no positive reply about this right now.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

No, I am not an insider, but just an outsider that is working with PDF-XChange Pro for many years, and being very interested in the enhancement of Tracker Software's products.

So, I am sure their support team will give you an answer soon, on whether they too were able to reproduce the problem, and if they will make a 'ticket' for this + if they will consider your suggestion to replace existing bookmarks.

Best regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello balabi,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I can confirm I've reproduced it - and passed it along to our developers for fixing:
#3456: Bookmatrks plugin: Generating bookmars with "Title Case" results in all uppercase ones.
We will post back here as soon as this issue is resolved.

Regards,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Many thanks for your answer Stefan, and for making a 'ticket'.

*** Did you also notice the suggestion to "Replace existing bookmarks" when creating new ones? ***
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Willy,

I'll pass the suggestion along for consideration :)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
balabi
User

Post by balabi »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Willy,

I'll pass the suggestion along for consideration :)
Thank you very much :)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)